Sebastian Telfair close to joining Suns

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
WTH? Paul Coro reporting that..

A primary Suns point guard target, Sebastian Telfair, is close to joining. His agent, Andy Miller, said they're closing in on a Friday deal.

So long Dowdell & Brooks.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Starbury's cousin. Has had brushes with the law involving guns... :eek:

Enjoy! :D

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
So does this mean that the Suns have moved past the trend of hiring less talented brothers and are now hiring less talented cousins?

Telfair is a step down from Brooks but better than Dowdell.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I don't know what type of deal you expect him to get but signing him would have 0 impact on Brooks. And Dowdell hasn't even shown he can be a mediocre backup.

Suns have no one able to play PG behind Nash and the investment in Telfair will be minimal and likely not extend beyond this season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think the Suns will keep Dowdell if they add Telfair. The Suns need three PGs. I'm wondering if the Suns will try to renounce their rights to Brooks or maybe find a taker as filler in a sign and trade. Also the Suns may decide to trade Nash if Hill leaves.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
So does this mean that the Suns have moved past the trend of hiring less talented brothers and are now hiring less talented cousins?

:lol:

Seriously, why not just bring Marbury back? He needs a gig.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I guess we have a new backup point guard for this season. This will likely be a one year deal. Telfair has been one of several first round high school busts drafted in the past decade, but I doubt the Suns are expecting much from him anyway. I just hope that he won't cause any problems off the court and chemistry-wise.
I'm wondering if the Suns will try to renounce their rights to Brooks or maybe find a taker as filler in a sign and trade.
Until Brooks is back from China in March/April the Suns won't do anything with him. There is no reason to renounce his rights right now. As for sign-and-trades, that's probably not going to happen with an RFA, imo. But he may still be back in a Suns uniform next year or even this year.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping Telfair ends up our starter after Grant Hill signs somewhere else and Nash finally realizes he's up ****'s creek without a paddle and gets his butt dealt out of here.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I'm hoping Telfair ends up our starter after Grant Hill signs somewhere else and Nash finally realizes he's up ****'s creek without a paddle and gets his butt dealt out of here.

We would officially be the worst team in the NBA if Nash is traded and Telfair is our starting PG

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We would officially be the worst team in the NBA if Nash is traded and Telfair is our starting PG

So the Suns would be looking good in the lottery. ;)

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score

Not out of the realm of possibility. I'd say there's a 50% chance Nash is gone if Hill leaves.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
After all this talk of he Lakers pursuing Chris Paul, it's nice to see the Suns strike first and bring in a big free agent to quiet the peanut gallery /sarcasm

Will the starting day PG rotation be Dowdell and Telfair? Nash can't possibly be staying with this team if Grant leaves, can he?

The Nash era began with the Suns trading away Marbury's bad contract. Maybe with their new brother/cousin angle on building a team they are hoping to do the same with Telfair. /sarcasm-yet-again

Are the Suns still "rebuilding in place" or whatever the tag line was or can they finally admit they've hit rock bottom?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After all this talk of he Lakers pursuing Chris Paul, it's nice to see the Suns strike first and bring in a big free agent to quiet the peanut gallery /sarcasm

Will the starting day PG rotation be Dowdell and Telfair? Nash can't possibly be staying with this team if Grant leaves, can he?

The Nash era began with the Suns trading away Marbury's bad contract. Maybe with their new brother/cousin angle on building a team they are hoping to do the same with Telfair. /sarcasm-yet-again

Are the Suns still "rebuilding in place" or whatever the tag line was or can they finally admit they've hit rock bottom?

The Suns gave up any pretense of being a contender when they let Amare walk for nothing. Amare was not the answer for the Suns but it temporarily made them relevant. There is no excuse for the Suns not rebuilding now other than trying to keep Nash as the face of the franchise.

Last edited:

B-Dogg

Registered
Reaction score
Lets be honest this team is going to be bad for a long time, it is no longer the attractive destination for players it once was under Jerry. Its sad that this proud franchise is at this point, but we are lottery bound for the next 5 years barring the sale of the franchise. The worst case would be that they continue to make mediocre signings and keep this team winning 35-40 games and mid round picks the we are in for decades of sucking... Best to clear the roster Nash and everyone else and hope you can clear enough cap space that you can get 3 max players that want to play together, thats the only hope IMO...

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!! Good times in Suns land.

But we have Steve Nash!!! Look, Steve Nash! MV-Steve!!!

I just really hope that Nash has the stones to demand a ticket out of town, why go down with the ship? Save Steve!

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Meanwhile, TJ Ford will sign with the Spurs for the minimum. I guess it show where the Suns are in the pecking order.
TJ Ford would have been a much better choice, imo. But this just shows you that if money is not an issue the better players will not choose to sign here. It doesn't work with the veteran minimum players, and it probably won't work with max free agents next summer.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will root against this team if they bring Nash back just to spite Sarver's dumb-ass.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
With the Suns luck they would have the worst record and still get the last pick in the lottery.
Technically that is not possible. The team with the worst record is guaranteed a pick no worse than 4th overall. But I can definitely see that happen.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Careful what you wish for.
Why?
I wish for an end to the Nashball era. I dont think there's another PG on the planet that can run it either(which is the #1 reason Nash never had a backup that appeared to be suitable here).

If Nash goes...so does Nashball. I suppose Sarver's Suns may try to go out and get another PG that they think can carry on the torch...i hope they dont go that route.

Give me a style and philosophy that wins championships. Play tough defense and play offense from the inside out. Thats all i wish for at this point.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard