Season Prediction

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Now go look up total pressures and tackles for loss. He killed it that year. Sacks aren’t the only barometer. Which he followed up with another double digit six season in Carolina with lots of pressure and tackles for loss. He was good. Trying to discount what he brought is a little

Didn’t discount that he wasn’t good.. simply said he wasn’t a world beater. I’d wager we together could have picked 20 edge rushers better than him that year without argument.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Now go look up total pressures and tackles for loss. He killed it that year. Sacks aren’t the only barometer. Which he followed up with another double digit six season in Carolina with lots of pressure and tackles for loss. He was good. Trying to discount what he brought is a little silly.
Also Shane, there’s a reason no one was offering him a massive contract that off-season

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, I don't ever expect anything from rookies early on and Anderson should be better than what we saw from Darrell Daniels last year, so two TE sets will be better even if McBride and Williams aren't ready to go.
This is why I’m so concerned about our pass rush. We’re hoping that two third round rookies can make somewhat of an impact there and I’m already pretty dubious of Keim’s ability to judge edge talent in the draft. The only drafted edge talent I can think he drafted was Reddick and Keim himself drafted Reddick to play inside.

And what doubles that concern is that we come out of the gate against 3 high powered offenses. If those rookies aren’t ready early in the season, we could see Mahommes, Carr and Stafford light us up if given all day. It’s a really rough open to the season and if we fall out of the gate 0-3, I don’t know if this team has the leadership it needs to climb out of that kind of hole. Especially with last season’s collapse still weighing on them.

Last edited:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is why I’m so concerned about our pass rush. We’re hoping that two third round rookies can make somewhat of an impact there and I’m already pretty dubious of Keim’s ability to judge edge talent in the draft. The only drafted edge talent I can think he drafted was Reddick and Keim himself drafted Reddick to play inside.

Dikumije is the way!!!! :)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn’t discount that he wasn’t good.. simply said he wasn’t a world beater. I’d wager we together could have picked 20 edge rushers better than him that year without argument.
Go for it. Find 20 edge rushers who had 12.5 sacks, 15 TFLs (second in the league), 18 QB hits and 6 FFs.

And the reason he only got a one year deal was because teams were worried he was a one year wonder and questioning his size. None of which changes the fact that during the 2020 season he was an absolute stud at the edge and a big reason we were able to get pressure on the QB the way we did.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go for it. Find 20 edge rushers who had 12.5 sacks, 15 TFLs (second in the league), 18 QB hits and 6 FFs.

And the reason he only got a one year deal was because teams were worried he was a one year wonder and questioning his size. None of which changes the fact that during the 2020 season he was an absolute stud at the edge and a big reason we were able to get pressure on the QB the way we did.

This 1000% that stat line is insane…

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol. I liked what I saw of him in minimum time on the field against second stringers, but call me crazy if also dubious of the guy who’s never done anything in the regular season either.

Quantity does not automatically mean we’ll get quality.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

5 sacks one game.. believe he had another 3 sack game. Guy would disappear 3-4 games then show up - that’s why didn’t get a big contract.

In fact was a similar ordeal at Carolina. Sparse production, nothing consistent. The elite are consistent.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Lol. I liked what I saw of him in minimum time on the field against second stringers, but call me crazy if also dubious of the guy who’s never done anything in the regular season either.

Quantity does not automatically mean we’ll get quality.
The Ravens had their starters out there for awhile.

Josh Jones dominated Jason Oweh.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

And what doubles that concern is that we come out of the gate against 3 high powered offenses. If those rookies aren’t ready early in the season, we could see Mahommes, Carr and Stafford light us up if given all day. It’s a really rough open to the season and if we fall out of the gate 0-3, I don’t know if this team has the leadership it needs to climb out of that kind of hole. Especially with last season’s collapse still weighing on them.
I think Dimukeje can be one of the solutions as well as Gardeck.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Dimukeje can be one of the solutions as well as Gardeck.
I worry that Gardeck wears down with more time on the field as primary edge guy. And that maybe he lost that little pop that gave him the edge in spot duty two years. He had none of it last year (which I expected after a late season ACL the previous season). But that little burst he had was so key to him getting to the QB that if the injury dented that at all, he doesn’t have any other physical tools to overcompensate if that burst is diminished. And I just have zero clue what Dimukeje is going to bring when live bullets start firing.

But again, if we’re just looking at 2020 as a barometer of how this team can generate pressure sans Chandler Jones, Gardeck was already baked into that cake so saying he’ll contribute above that isn’t factored in. So even if Gardeck does come back to 2020 form, I just don’t see the Gardeck/Dimukeje coming anywhere close to the Reddick/healthy-limited Gardeck combo that got a lot of pressure in 2020 in the wake of Jones’ injury.

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Moving the goal posts. Nice try back at you. All I'm saying is we weren't perfect during that stretch. Things could've gone differently. But that's football.
I didn't "move the goal posts" or any other such nonsense.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

How many high picks has Keim used on edge players? Pretty much just Reddick and Golden, both of which were pretty good...
I don't know about any of this. It would be a tough stretch even with Jones on the roster.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many high picks has Keim used on edge players? Pretty much just Reddick and Golden, both of which were pretty good...
Golden was solid as a rookie but was a mid 2nd pick, not mid and late 3rd like this year’s rookies. And Reddick a) wasn’t drafted to play edge and b) stunk as a rookie.

Other players on edge, DE or OLB that Keim drafted in the first four rounds were Zach Allen (who did nothing his rookie season), Kareem Martin (who did nothing his rookie season or ever) or Alex Okafor (who did nothing his rookie season).

All of which is to say Keim hasn’t done a good job of getting rookies at the edge who make an impact in their first season. Now some of the above did eventually become solid players on the edge or (once moved to a new position), but we’re not talking about what our 3rd round edge players are eventually going to be. We’re talking about the pass rush THIS season and if they can make an impact. So far, only 1 of 5 of Keim’s edge rookies made any impact at all their rookie season. Based on that track record (and Keim’s overall track record in the draft) I’m just skeptical that two 3rd rounders who were looked at as projects are going to contribute much of anything this season.

And that’s saying nothing of those rookies figuring out what’s apparently the most complicated defensive scheme in the world courtesy of our DC who’s loathe to play rookies in the first place.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know about any of this. It would be a tough stretch even with Jones on the roster.
sure. It’ll just be that much tougher without a rusher like Jones or someone else established who had shown the ability to make up for his loss.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I hope you guys are right about him, but I don’t see it yet. He didn‘t start a game last year. He had no sacks. He did play well in preseason, but who was he beating. He’ll have a chance, but I’m not convinced he’ll be an impact player.