Screw the tank

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
One thing I notice about teams that tank is that the golden ticket (high draft choice) often doesn't change much. You've got to have a great coaching staff, a great GM and a great owner with big pockets. Even if the Rams lose every game from here on out, I'm still cheering them to win, because the football season is almost over and there will be months before the next season. Granted, we don't have a first round pick and so that may shade my thinking a bit, but I don't think so. Win every game you can, show some heart and regroup for next year. Dreaming of high draft picks can become a yearly thing with fans dreaming of team losses for half the year, year after year. At least for me, that is no way to spend your life.
Dolphins tanked for Tua...he's been better this year, with a good coach, but now his injury concerns are creeping back into the argument.

Colts sucked for Luck...he was good-great, until injuries and a crappy Oline sent him into very early retirement.

Cards fans should be careful what they wish for, when wanting this team and FO to tank for draft status.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
One thing I notice about teams that tank is that the golden ticket (high draft choice) often doesn't change much. You've got to have a great coaching staff, a great GM and a great owner with big pockets. Even if the Rams lose every game from here on out, I'm still cheering them to win, because the football season is almost over and there will be months before the next season. Granted, we don't have a first round pick and so that may shade my thinking a bit, but I don't think so. Win every game you can, show some heart and regroup for next year. Dreaming of high draft picks can become a yearly thing with fans dreaming of team losses for half the year, year after year. At least for me, that is no way to spend your life.
Your boys getting coaches fired and whatnot....priceless. LMAO!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dolphins tanked for Tua...he's been better this year, with a good coach, but now his injury concerns are creeping back into the argument.

Colts sucked for Luck...he was good-great, until injuries and a crappy Oline sent him into very early retirement.

Cards fans should be careful what they wish for, when wanting this team and FO to tank for draft status.
Tanking this year isn’t just about a draft pick. It’s about making it beyond reason to bring back anyone involved with this horror show on the sidelines or in the front office.

There’s just nothing to be gained here. Kyler’s not playing so it’s not like we want there to be valuable time with his WRs and getting a rythym. And a new coaching staff brings in completely different schemes and probably a ton of new players as well. So, there’s nothing of note to hope for some kind of carryover to next year either.

And all we’ve seen as the season has worn on is devastating injuries which WILL effect next season taking place.

Considering all of that, there’s very little reason NOT to tank. Slate SHOULD be wiped mostly clean, so why put yourself in position that can possibly hurt yourself moving forward in this particular season?

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
Are you considered a "fan" when you root for your team to lose? :?:
Yes. Being a fan means wanting what’s best for the team now and in the future to give us the best chance to win. Winning these last games hurts our team. Nobody on the team will care in 6 months if we won or last the last games.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

"Tanking for Tua" included a 5-4 finish after an abysmal 0-7 start.

Metcalf Rules

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Cards were blurry for Murray.. sadly, their vision doesn’t seem to have improved.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sadly, the Cardinals are bad enough, they don't have to tank not that they would.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
Anybody know of a website/database that lists every NFL Draft pick ever that can be sorted and filtered? Amazed that I can’t find anything like that

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Can't believe you all are worried about winning when our two starting safeties will likely be out - ATL can literally just run up the gut, past the line cooks holding down the DT/NT position, past our OLBs/STs playing ILB and then hope they can beat Charles Washington...

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Anybody know of a website/database that lists every NFL Draft pick ever that can be sorted and filtered? Amazed that I can’t find anything like that
Drafthistory.com has all the draft picks and are filtered across a variety of menu options.

I think that ProFootballReference's paid tier allows you to do that pretty easily.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I agree because winning franchises keep winning regardless of their draft position
Losing forces changes until it's hopefully right. Say, the Bills or other big turnarounds.

Or get stuck with years of mediocrity with Kliff, or like the Cowboys with Garrett.

If you are already far out of playoff race, then it's not a bad thing to get a better pick.

Play your depth players, see what they got. Not tanking per se, but it's an opportunity for some other players and a better evaluation going into next year.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Tanking for Tua" included a 5-4 finish after an abysmal 0-7 start.
That situation is a little murky due to the whole 'tankgate' situation that Miami was involved in.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If we lose we lose, but I will never cheer for my team to lose any games.

Win all you can and then figure out where you draft.

:newcards:
You have to create this thread at the end of too many seasons.

I disagree completely. High end talent wins in this league. Have a chance to get it? Get it.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You’re not a cardinals fan. You have no idea what it’s like to spend your life as a cardinals fan.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
For every Trevor Lawrence, you get two JaMarcus Russels'. I'm too lazy to go back through time to check out the history of #1 overall picks, but it's definitely no sure thing.
Lawrence - Wilson
Manning - leaf

Prosecution rests.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am not going to tell anyone how to be a fan but I can’t root for a loss. Just can’t do it. When I see them take the field I get pumped like I did fifty five years ago. Of course I know a loss improves our draft position. Just not in me to want a loss when watching. I was bummed that we blew the ten point lead in the fourth quarter.