Scola trade to Pacers Imminent

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The trade is Pacers lotto protected '14 pick, Plumlee, and Green for Scola according to Woj. So great, we still have a log jam at PF :/

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You just named off a bunch of tweeners who are poor rebounders. And Frye? Dude might not ever play again. I stand by my statement.

Because Scola was such a fierce rebounder with his 6 boards per game?

Suns haven't had a strong rebounding PF for ages. What's your point?

Dalbrin

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I dig this trade. Grab a first round pick in next year's loaded draft, save a little money, and it makes the team worse next year. What's not to like?

Be nice if they could swing another mid to late first rounder for Gortat, then package those for a second lottery pick.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So, can we trade Butler now?

From Indiana's perspective they gave up last year's first round pick and next year's first round pick.

Still should have pushed for no lotto protection. I hate that.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Because Scola was such a fierce rebounder with his 6 boards per game?

Suns haven't had a strong rebounding PF for ages. What's your point?

His point is that having a bunch of crappy players, some of whom are not PFs in the first place does not equal a "log jam".

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The trade is Pacers lotto protected '14 pick, Plumlee, and Green for Scola according to Woj. So great, we still have a log jam at PF :/
Plumlee could play C or PF. If we end up trading Gortat than Plumlee and Len would be the only guys on the roster fit to play C.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am not wild about this. We get a project center who is not looking very promising, a wing who is a cap liability, and a late first rounder. Its better than nothing, but its not a great haul. As Gambo says, whoever gets the best player wins the trade. IMO that is Indiana at this point.

However, I am much more encouraged about late first rounders with McD on board. He seems to have a knack for finding value there.

Dalbrin

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So, can we trade Butler now?

From Indiana's perspective they gave up last year's first round pick and next year's first round pick.

Still should have pushed for no lotto protection. I hate that.

Yeah, but what are the odds that the Pacers bounce into the lottery next year?

Although I'm curious, if they do manage to, do we just loss the pick outright?

Dalbrin

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I am not wild about this. We get a project center who is not looking very promising, a wing who is a cap liability, and a late first rounder. Its better than nothing, but its not a great haul. As Gambo says, whoever gets the best player wins the trade. IMO that is Indiana at this point.

However, I am much more encouraged about late first rounders with McD on board. He seems to have a knack for finding value there.

Yeah, but it clears minutes to watch and develop young players, and it makes us a worse team next year. Those are both positives, in my opinion.

Maybe we could have swung a better deal elsewhere, or by waiting. Maybe. But the closer we came to the trade deadline, the more desperate the Suns would have been, as well. So that's not guarantee.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Yeah, but what are the odds that the Pacers bounce into the lottery next year?

Although I'm curious, if they do manage to, do we just loss the pick outright?
Doubt we would lose it. I would imagine it would move to 2015 and at some point it would turn into 1 or 2 seconds if they continue to miss the playoffs. This is how a lot of the protected first rounders have been arranged in the past.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

Also we won't know who the best player in this is until we use or trade that draft pick. Either the player we take with that pick or the player we end up with assuming we trade that pick would then have to be included in determining who won this trade. Ultimately we likely won't know how good this trade was for the Suns until at least 1-3 years from now.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Paul Flannery @Pflannsabout 5 minutes ago

If Pacers and Wolves make playoffs, McDonough can rebuild with 7 first rounders through 2015 including the two he used in 2013 and Bledsoe.
Lovin it.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

A first probably in the 19-25 range in what is assumed to be a loaded draft... I'm fine with that.

Green had to be involved to make the salary work, and Plumlee is better than nothing. A young big on his rookie contract. While I assume he is a stiff there is nothing lost in kicking him around.

Holding onto Scola and hoping for more later would have been a really risky proposition. IMO with his trend of decline and the projected shuffle of front court players his production and value would have gone to poop.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ah, beat me to it.

USA Today is supposed to come out with it any minute as a done deal. Coro just tweeted it as a done deal.

So, I wonder how Plumlee figured in. He is not that impressive. For those who are interested.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/player-review-2013-miles-plumlee

Plumlee obviously got no playing time last year, but he has had solid summer league performances the last two offseasons. I know many have debated the relevance of summer league stats, but it's something.

He he averaged 10 pts, 9.5 rbs, and 3 blks in Vegas. That's pretty solid and better than I remember Robin Lopez ever doing.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Green won't provide more consistent shooting from the SG than Brown, who happens to still be on the roster. Plumlee could become the Suns backup center to Len once Gortat is moved, but until then he probably won't get off the bench. I do think the Suns could have gotten more than a lottery-protected first-rounder, but at least it's in the next draft, which promises to be deep with talent. Now watch the Pacers miss the playoffs by one game.

I just hope the Suns don't hold a press conference with Green and Plumlee, proclaiming them to be the future of the franchise. Everyone knows this trade wasn't about either of those players. At least, it shouldn't have been.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns official site has it up if it has not already been mentioned.

I like the way the Suns are building for the future by acquiring extra draft picks. Perhaps acquiring Plumlee helps pave the way for trading Gortat.

Draft picks are the currency of the NBA.

http://www.nba.com/suns/suns-make-important-trade-future

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have a theory on how we got the 1st round pick in the deal. McDonough demanded that they take Marshall if they wanted Scola, but the Pacers included a 1st round pick so Marshall would be excluded.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
For anyone that may not know a whole lot about Miles Plumlee. He is a very good athlete. A good player to compare him to as far as athleticism is concerned would be Cody Zeller. They both have nearly identical measurables, but it looks like Plumlee is the more athletic of the two.

Cody Zeller/Miles Plumlee
Height: 7'0.25"/6'11.75"
Standing Reach: 8'10"/8'9.5"
Max Vert: 37.5"/40.5"
Bench Reps: 17/15
Lane agility: 10.82/10.64
3/4 Court Sprint: 3.15/3.36

Not saying this means he is or will be as good as Cody Zeller, but the measurables are almost identical. Plumlee appears to be the better all around athlete while Zeller appears to be the faster of the two. Just thought it was interesting to see how he stacked up physically to a player that was so highly touted in this years draft. You always hear people say that you can't teach athleticism and it would appear that Miles has plenty of it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a theory on how we got the 1st round pick in the deal. McDonough demanded that they take Marshall if they wanted Scola, but the Pacers included a 1st round pick so Marshall would be excluded.

Could be.

However, in essence Marshall can be considered an expiring contract at worst if the Suns don't pick up his future option. I like the first round pick even better.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
PG: Bledsoe, Marshall
SG: Dragic, Goodwin, Brown, Lee
SF: Butler, Tucker, Mc Morris, Green
PF: Mk Morris, Beasley,
C: Gortat, Len, Plumlee

That's 15 under contract not even counting Frye. I'd assume Lee is a goner, but there is no room for any summer league guys like Onuaku unless additional moves are made.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
PG: Bledsoe, Marshall
SG: Dragic, Goodwin, Brown, Lee
SF: Butler, Tucker, Mc Morris, Green
PF: Mk Morris, Beasley,
C: Gortat, Len, Plumlee

That's 15 under contract not even counting Frye. I'd assume Lee is a goner, but there is no room for any summer league guys like Onuaku unless additional moves are made.

No Oriakhi at PF?

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Frye is and will remain on the Suns roster regardless of whether he plays next season or not. So, before the Suns sign both of their rookies they will have to release someone, most likely Lee. It also doesn't seem likely there will be any trades where the Suns give up more players than they acquire, so the roster is pretty much full.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Green won't provide more consistent shooting from the SG than Brown, who happens to still be on the roster. Plumlee could become the Suns backup center to Len once Gortat is moved, but until then he probably won't get off the bench. I do think the Suns could have gotten more than a lottery-protected first-rounder, but at least it's in the next draft, which promises to be deep with talent. Now watch the Pacers miss the playoffs by one game.

I just hope the Suns don't hold a press conference with Green and Plumlee, proclaiming them to be the future of the franchise. Everyone knows this trade wasn't about either of those players. At least, it shouldn't have been.

I think that the Suns may unveil the new uniforms at the Plumlee/Green presser and they will be the first ones to don the new jerseys publicly.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Scola talks had been ongoing for weeks but it was Indy's willingness to finally include Plumlee that compelled Suns to agree on deal.
— Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) July 27, 2013
Hmm. I suppose McD sees something in this guy.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort