Scola trade to Pacers Imminent

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I need a trade rumor to spice up my weekend. :)

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
The tank for Wiggins continues. This new GM is good.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
If you plan on tanking, tank early so it doesn't look stupid.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One source (reportedly ESPN) says Granger is not involved.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope PHX doesn't agree to take on Green and his contract. Granger and George do play the same position but IND would require more than just Scola for him. I hope a deal is imminent.

I think it will be Green plus somebody like Plumlee for Scola, Marshall and a 2nd round pick.

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope PHX doesn't agree to take on Green and his contract. Granger and George do play the same position but IND would require more than just Scola for him. I hope a deal is imminent.

Green's salary is 3.5M this coming season and 3.5M the next.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it would be Scola for Green essentially.

Maybe we can talk them out of a first round pick? Green would help shoot us into Wiggins territory but other than that, I don't really see what incentive we have to do this deal. I'm no Scola fan as a few of you might have picked up on but he's certainly worth a lot more than Gerald Green is. Scola would be a good pickup for a team that didn't have to rely on him as a starter every night.

Steve

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This news is most excellent. Glad to see proactive wheeling and dealing... opposed to say waiting till the deadline and the only move being Telfair for a ham sandwich.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Suns better have got at least a first round pick for Scola.

Guy is on one o the better contracts for a big man and we were in no rush to get rid of him.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This is one of those times when both teams won the trade equally and got what they wanted.

The Suns get the additional first round pick they so covet as a rebuilding team and the Pacers get the best value big man in the NBA IMO. 14 pts & 7 boards big man on such a cheap contract? What a steal. The Pacers will love this trade as he's a veteran guy who makes so much sense on their team.

Plus Gerald Green is another guard who plays pretty much like Shannon Brown. The Suns will be sucking hard with Green , Brown and Beasley leading to the Suns hitting good in next year's supposed stacked draft.

McDonough is rebuilding the right way if the Scola for Green + first rd pick trade rumor is true.

Last edited:

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Green has two years remaining for 7 mil while Scola has two years for 9 mil. We'll be pretty thin up front if this goes down.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This is probably the least the Suns could get for Scola. A low first-round pick and a useless player who won't be part of any future plans but is marginally cheaper than Scola. It's possible if the Suns waited until mid-season, they might have gotten more. Maybe they are trying to do Scola a favor.

I don't mind another pick and there's no point keeping Scola, but he has good trade value while Green has negative trade value, so essentially it's just a 20+ first-rounder which isn't likely to produce results. Let's at least hope that it's 2014 first-rounder and that there are other picks involved. As it stands, Indiana is getting Scola for next to nothing. The Suns aren't just giving up Scola, they are also taking on a player they don't really want (I hope) to make the trade work. That's worth more than a single late first-rounder.

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
This is probably the least the Suns could get for Scola. A low first-round pick and a useless player who won't be part of any future plans but is marginally cheaper than Scola. It's possible if the Suns waited until mid-season, they might have gotten more. Maybe they are trying to do Scola a favor.

I don't mind another pick and there's no point keeping Scola, but he has good trade value while Green has negative trade value, so essentially it's just a 20+ first-rounder which isn't likely to produce results. Let's at least hope that it's 2014 first-rounder and that there are other picks involved. As it stands, Indiana is getting Scola for next to nothing. The Suns aren't just giving up Scola, they are also taking on a player they don't really want (I hope) to make the trade work. That's worth more than a single late first-rounder.
I disagree that this is the least you can get for Scola. The way I see it this is about all you can expect to get for Scola because the only teams that he really makes sense for are teams that are already close to competing for a championship.

t0rchy

Reaction score
This is a classic rebuilding move. You give away a useful veteran to get picks, some money and Players in return, which will not affect the number of losses or playingtime for your relevant talented players. I like it.
It could be better with a smaller contract in return, a higher pick or anything like that. But it is a good deal though. Keeping Scola until midseason means gambling with his value, Health and unnecessary wins as well

Btw.: Greetings from Germany :)

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. Green isn't a passer or a ball handler, but as a wing, he can shoot and defend (I know this is not highly known, but just look at his defensive efficiency stats -- he's improved every team he's played on, including the Nets by 6 fewer points per 100). He's the right size for a small forward, as opposed Brown, and is more accurate than Brown by a noticeable amount. Green projects at 15+ per over Brown 12. Green is >> Brown. He's also more marketable as a guy who can really get up in the air and throw down as a 6-foot-8 true wing player.

I used to love Danny Granger's game, and I couldn't believe the Pacers would be willing to part with him for Scola. But if it's just Green and a pick, I think this move really makes the Suns better right away. More watchable, anyway.

I think some of you are underestimating the potential impact of this trade.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Wow. Green isn't a passer or a ball handler, but as a wing, he can shoot and defend (I know this is not highly known, but just look at his defensive efficiency stats -- he's improved every team he's played on, including the Nets by 6 fewer points per 100). He's the right size for a small forward, as opposed Brown, and is more accurate than Brown by a noticeable amount. Green projects at 15+ per over Brown 12. Green is >> Brown. He's also more marketable as a guy who can really get up in the air and throw down as a 6-foot-8 true wing player.

I used to love Danny Granger's game, and I couldn't believe the Pacers would be willing to part with him for Scola. But if it's just Green and a pick, I think this move really makes the Suns better right away. More watchable, anyway.

I think some of you are underestimating the potential impact of this trade.

Danny Granger hasn't played well since 2010 or so and is always injured, thank godness he is not in the trade.

Also Gerald Green had a DRTG of 109 (Nets Drgt was 109) with the Nets and 103 with the Pacers (Pacers Drtg was 99.X). So I am guessing your numbers are wrong.

And to add to all that Green shot 36% from the field last season and 31% from 3. Green had a PER of 15+ just one time in his career and that was in the lockout season with New Jersey and he played only 31 games.

I guess your post must have been sarcastic. I should have caught up on that when you brought up marketability as a plus when acquiring a scrub.

Last edited:

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Green has two years remaining for 7 mil while Scola has two years for 9 mil. We'll be pretty thin up front if this goes down.

Lol I hope you are joking. The Suns have a lot of PFs on this roster.

Even with Scola gone, we still have Beasley, Markieff, Frye and guys like Tucker and Marcus who may be better suited as PF in our offense.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
wouldnt mind getting Solomon Jones from the Pacers, I'd throw in Tucker.
You must have meant Solomon Hill. I don't know if he has much upside, but he could be a popular player here having played at Arizona. If the scouting department thought anything of him (was he brought in for a workout?) then they should have definitely asked for him as part of this trade. It wouldn't be asking for much.