Saturday Night Live

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
FYI - Steve Carell is the host this week.

I watched a few shows this season for the first time in several years. It seems to be getting a little better. Carell should be great.

OP
OP
Bada0Bing

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
John McCain was really funny. If you didn't watch the show on saturday I would recommend finding his two skits on youtube or somewhere.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
The McCain stuff was funny, yes.. that was by far the best part of the show.

I haven't seen an episode of SNL in a good 3 years because that show had gotten so terrible. When I read this and saw Steve Carrel hosting, I figured what the hell, and I DVR'ed it.

I can honestly say, SNL is still one of the worst shows on TV. The McCain sketches were the only things that made me laugh, the rest of the show was absolutely awful. I'll never understand how SNL has been on as long as it has, it's just such an awful show.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
McCain - Funny

Deal or No Deal - Moderately funny.

Usher - 2nd performance was good.

Rest of show - Garbage.

Anyone have the episode that Jim Carey hosted? Best one ever IMO.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The opening skit with the names has been done by them in different variations three or four times now.
How many times are they going to pull out "whose Dick Hertz" card?

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
The opening skit with the names has been done by them in different variations three or four times now.
How many times are they going to pull out "whose Dick Hertz" card?

Exactly, I haven't even watched the show in 3 years, and I still said "oh, this again?"

I got halfway through the recording and just hit erase, it was awful. I also don't like Usher, so that sucked for me too. :p

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Oh.... and the CPR scene near the end where Steve collapses the chest of the guy he is performing CPR on was just downright crude.

I can't believe that a group of at least 15 writers sat in a room and said..... "Hey, I got this idea to have a CPR training seminar go so horribly wrong that blood shoots out of the chest of the trainee. Then.... the big laugh is the trainer has to lock lips with the guy who now is covered in fake blood." "And the more blood the better!"

Group of Writers - "That sounds great!!!!"

People should be fired for that.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
The weekend update is usually worth watching.

Really, you think so?

I DVR'ed this weeks episode, and when watching it back, I got halfway through Weekend Update and said "Why am I watching this crap?" That was the point where I just hit erase and watched something else. I thought the update (with the exception of the McCain bit) was awful and boring.

Maybe I'm just an SNL hater. :lol:

OP
OP
Bada0Bing

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Really, you think so?

I DVR'ed this weeks episode, and when watching it back, I got halfway through Weekend Update and said "Why am I watching this crap?" That was the point where I just hit erase and watched something else. I thought the update (with the exception of the McCain bit) was awful and boring.

Maybe I'm just an SNL hater. :lol:

Maybe it just seems good compared to the rest of the show.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
I love the MacGruber promos.

The thing about SNL is it is a show made for the DVR. Half the skits are pretty much crap but every episode has at least one sketch fairly amusing and every now and again there is something that is just hilarious. Dick in a Box still makes me laugh and there are few other sketches that get to me too.

OP
OP
Bada0Bing

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I love the MacGruber promos.

The thing about SNL is it is a show made for the DVR. Half the skits are pretty much crap but every episode has at least one sketch fairly amusing and every now and again there is something that is just hilarious. Dick in a Box still makes me laugh and there are few other sketches that get to me too.

I couldn't agree more, I usually watch 20-30 minutes of it. The digital shorts usually make me laugh.

OP
OP
Bada0Bing

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Anyone catch last week's? It was the very first show, with George Carlin hosting.

I watched the first 30 minutes or so sunday night. Couple of hilarious skits, and a couple of duds. I don't think Carlin was actually in any skits, they would just cut to some standup between skits.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone catch last week's? It was the very first show, with George Carlin hosting.

I watched the first 30 minutes or so sunday night. Couple of hilarious skits, and a couple of duds. I don't think Carlin was actually in any skits, they would just cut to some standup between skits.

Yeah, I saw it too. And the musical guest performed about 4 numbers, as did Carlin in his standup joints. Really odd format.

I laughed because they had a parody commercial about a *gasp* three bladed razor. Reminded me of this Philips commercial from two or three years ago, the Quintipio. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3osqw

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
I used to watch SNL all the time yet stopped because it got so awful. I have friends that would send me links to funny stuff (90% of it Andy Samberg). I have heard that is is better than it has been in the past so I decided to give it a shot. I have tried watching two episodes, the one where Bryan Cranston hosted a month or so ago and then tonight's with Jeff Bridges. SNL has done the impossible. They have made two of the best actors in Hollywood completely unfunny and unwatchable. SNL is horrible and I don't think I'll ever watch a episode on tv anymore. I guess it is only digital shorts and Andy Samberg clips for me from here on out.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
SNL is crap and has been crap for a long, long time. We watched for about 15 minutes last Saturday night and the jokes are so sophomoric that's it seems like high school kids are the writers now. I mean silly sex jokes and fart jokes? Is this how far this show has sunk?

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
SNL is crap and has been crap for a long, long time. We watched for about 15 minutes last Saturday night and the jokes are so sophomoric that's it seems like high school kids are the writers now. I mean silly sex jokes and fart jokes? Is this how far this show has sunk?
Agree. Hasn't been worth watching for several years.

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
I have recorded SNL for years and watch during the week. The one with DeNiro a couple weeks was so bad, I deleted the series from the DVR and will not waste my time anymore. The digital shorts are posted on youtube anyways.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Eddie Murphy is still a genius. That episode was amazing.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Bada0Bing

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Eddie Murphy is still a genius. That episode was amazing.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I saw him on Colbert a few weeks ago. Comedic genius indeed. Not sure what happened to him for all those years.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I liked the episode and hope he sticks around for another next year.

Loved how they just inserted his schtick into new skits and it worked perfectly. #Timeless

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson