Samsung Smart TV's and apps

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I bought a new 32 inch samsung for the bedroom to replace the old tube tv in there. I had a hard time finding that size, 1080P and Smart but Samsung was the best price and on Amazon prime.

Hooked it up yesterday, eventually dialed in the picture after seeing online suggestions on settings. Had the wireless setup, I could not get it to let me add the date and time, simply would not work. Started playing with the Smart hub apps, first it said it had to update and installed 11 updates. Then it had to update again. Then it said I wasn't connected, I was. this went on for 20 minutes. I eventually found in Samsung Apps it wanted me to sign up for smart hub so I did that. then it told me to download the Netflix App so I started that but it was already installed, asked if I wanted to uninstall.

The app itself said Netflix below it, but the icon said HBOTOGO. If you click on it, it tries to connect and hangs. Then you go to Smart Hub and it says I need to update, now it has 9 installs, all of them were part of the original 11.

At this point I called tech support and while on hold started reading online. Needless to say if you have a Smart tv Samsung that does NOT have a Netflix button on the remote ,but a downloaded app, and it works, consider yourself lucky.

All sorts of change the DNS to 4 8's, uninstall and reinstall, reset to factory defaults etc. I didn't find any one solution that worked. Then tech support came on and was reading off the exact same list.

He finally told me my ISP (Comcast) was the problem they were blocking the Netflix server, ironic since my LG tv has built in netflix that works, and I can get to it from my desktop or laptop. Oh it's not connecting to our server, huh, your tv is essentially a computer trying ot connect to a server at Netflix.

He finally stated he could setup onsite service next week, when I'm at work of course, and it might require replacing some board or the whole tv. I suspect the reason he said that is he too was unable to get it to let me setup the time and date and apparently that could have been why it couldn't connect to the Netflix server(but it did connect to Amazon Prime). I think he knew that was a sign of a board issue or something else once it was clear it just didn't work as intended for putting in the time and date.

I finally gave up, did the online return process at Amazon and dropped it off with UPS this morning. I ordered a 32 inch LG since my 46 inch works great.

Too bad, the Samsung is 100 bucks cheaper and honestly the picture just hooked up in SD was better than SD on the LG. We're going to get another HD box once the LG comes.

But it's apparent from google there are thousand of Samsungs out there that have this problem. Apparently some of the built in ones stopped working after a firmware update. I'm sure eventually Samsung will fix it but I don't want to wait for a brand new tv and the constant telling me I wasn't connected wehn I was, even after getting my smart hub account setup, really convinced me they just have major problems. I was connected wirelessly at 51MBPS, then ran a long ethernet cable and connected that at 55, it still kept saying it wasn't connected on one screen and connected fine on another.

Anyways buyer beware, if you have one that works you're lucky, if you are buying one for things like Netflix, be careful.

Last edited:

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just get a dumb tv and hook a roku up to it.

Agreed. It is in Roku's best interest to keep their stuff updated and keep polishing the interface.

Still a nice review, Russ. Sorry it was a disappointment.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. It is in Roku's best interest to keep their stuff updated and keep polishing the interface.

Still a nice review, Russ. Sorry it was a disappointment.

If I have the problem with the new LG that's exactly what I'll do but my 46 inch LG works great so I'm hoping I don't.

I never post reviews on Amazon but I did on this tv so that others would see my review because if I had seen such reviews in advance I would not have bought it. Since I posted mine, there have been I think 6 more reviews posted all with the same Netflix issue.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard