EndZone

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
http://www.denverpost.com/colleges/ci_6674389

Passed over no more
Keller set to start at QB for Huskers after leaving Arizona State
By John Henderson Denver Post Staff Writer
Article Last Updated: 08/21/2007 01:31:44 AM MDT

Nebraska hopes to stay in the passing lane with senior quarterback Sam Keller, who sat out last season as a transfer. (AP / Dave Weaver)Lincoln, Neb. - When Sam Keller walks into a room, he doesn't look like one of the nation's best quarterbacks from two years ago. He looks like one of the nation's best linebackers now.

Keller is huge. He's 6-feet-4 and 240 pounds. He has a chest seemingly as broad as Nebraska's scoreboard video screen, and his legs look easy to take down only with a Buick. He's loud. He's boisterous. If trash talk were a Nebraska major, he would make the dean's list.

Then again, Keller also doesn't look like a guy who was reduced to tears last year in a coach's office. Or a guy who went from wondering which round he would go in the next NFL draft to which school he would play for. Or a guy who spent last season taking snaps behind a line made up of a bunch of frosh from Broken Bow and Sodtown.

Yes, the Sam Keller named Monday as 20th-ranked Nebraska's starting quarterback is a humbled Sam Keller. Oh, he's not quiet. He's too overjoyed with the cush landing pad he hit after Arizona State blew him out of the college football stratosphere last August.

But he knows he has only one year left to prove he's the quarterback who passed for 461 yards against Louisiana State and for 347 against Southern California in 2005 with the Sun Devils.

"I kind of wondered," he said, "how I could go from being so good to being in Nebraska."

Or how he could go from being so good to not even start. It all started Oct. 8, 2005. In his first five games at Arizona State that season, Keller had one of the greatest starts in Pacific 10 history. He threw four touchdown passes in each of the Sun Devils' first four games, and after five games he had passed for 1,790 yards and 18 touchdowns.

He had charisma. He had chutzpah. Most of all, he had an arm.

"The guy was fantastic and is fantastic," said Colorado offensive coordinator Mark Helfrich, Keller's position coach at Arizona State. "He's very confident. He's very

College Football
Watch staff writer Jim Armstrong's interview with Dan Hawkins, Cody Hawkins and watch a virtual tour of CU's new locker room
Visit CU beat writer Tom Kensler's foray into blogging
Visit our CU Page
Join the CU conversation
Visit our CSU Page
Join the CSU conversation
Visit our AFA Page
Join the AFA conversation
accurate."
Then on a warm day at Sun Devil Stadium against Oregon, life in the desert for Keller started becoming Dante's Inferno. On a third-and-5 play, Keller scrambled for a first down but his right thumb got caught in a defensive tackle's face mask.

"I got up and it felt like a bullet went through my thumb," he said.

Keller had torn it up. He finished the game and played the next half against Stanford, but no more. He was out for the year. Usually, this isn't foreshadowing disaster. A junior, Keller still had a year left. He had plenty of time to rehab from surgery and be ready for spring camp.

Only one problem: Rudy Carpenter spent Arizona State's last six games in 2005 climbing atop the nation's passing leaders, throwing 17 touchdown passes with two interceptions, topped by four touchdowns in the Sun Devils' 45-40 Insight Bowl victory over Rutgers.

Dirk Koetter, Arizona State's coach at the time, opened up the competition and after an intense, highly scrutinized battle between possibly the nation's top quarterback tandem, Koetter announced Aug. 18 a year ago that Keller would be his starter. Keller celebrated the next day by thrashing the Sun Devils' defense in a scrimmage.

Afterward, Keller was in the weight room when Koetter called him into his office. Sorry, Sam, he said. He had made a mistake. He had changed his mind, and Carpenter would be the starter. Keller was too stunned to ask many questions.

He simply cried.
"I was just completely shocked," he said. "I was floored. It was just unbelievable. My dad was driving out to Vegas. My mom was on the way to the airport. So I called him as quick as I could and said, 'Please come back.' That was as low as I've ever felt."

What happened? No one really knows. Koetter refused to elaborate publicly, but he did speak to the team between the two decisions.

Keller didn't investigate any rumors of character assassination.

"I didn't have any time to do that," he said. "I was already gone."

His father, Mike Keller, a former Michigan All-American who helped start the XFL and is a sports management consultant in Las Vegas, started working the phones. Sam had one week to find a school, move and enroll. He settled on three potential schools: Nebraska, Oklahoma and Colorado. Helfrich was a huge lure.

But Nebraska's West Coast offense had started to click, the Huskers had come off an 8-4 season and quarterback Zac Taylor would be gone in a year. Also, Nebraska coach Bill Callahan had watched Keller play for San Ramon Valley High School in Danville, Calif., where Callahan lived while coaching the Oakland Raiders.

"I was thinking about (Colorado) but I had to make a decision fast," Keller said. "With Nebraska and everything they've got going here, you can't lose with that decision. And I haven't lost."

In fact, he won even playing for the scout team while redshirting last year. Normally, transfer quarterbacks are treated like crown princes waiting to adhere to the throne. Not Keller. His diligent work imitating the likes of Missouri's Chase Daniel and Texas' Colt McCoy earned him scout team MVP honors.

"What he expects out of his scout-team players was more than I've ever seen, even when I played scout team," said linebacker Corey McKeon, Keller's best friend on the team. "No one was as demanding like that."

Keller also bonded. He hung out with McKeon, the rest of the defense and the linemen. Thursday nights are big in Lincoln, Neb., and Huskers strength coach Dave Kennedy tried foiling evening pub crawls by holding weight-training sessions on Fridays at dawn. No problem. McKeon and Keller would go to one of the watering holes on O Street and drink a few Belgian Blue Moons on Thursdays at 1 p.m.

But Callahan shoots down any rumors of Keller's work ethic being his downfall at Arizona State.

"You should see him in the weight room," Callahan said. "He's there every day. He works as hard as you can even imagine. He is a solid guy."

Fine, but he had better be solid on the field, too. Until Monday, he still hadn't won the starting job officially, as Callahan was dividing snaps between Keller and junior Joe Ganz, a career backup. But for anyone listening to Callahan talk about the way Keller has soaked up the offense, it was clear who would start the Sept. 1 opener against Nevada.

"He's got stature," Callahan said. "You look at him and he doesn't look like a 240-pound quarterback. You look at him and he's cut. He's ripped. He's put together. He can make all the throws. And he's a tremendous competitor."

Keller said he's not bitter. He's not in contact with anyone at Arizona State anymore. He said he took no satisfaction in Carpenter's struggles last year and Koetter's subsequent firing. And the confidence that came crashing down in that coach's office in the desert has been resurrected on a football field in the Great Plains.

"On the scout team, I realized how much I love football," Keller said. "I realize you can't control the bad things. You can just control how you react. After awhile it became kind of refreshing. I felt like there wasn't any pressure on me. I felt like I could give it just one last crack."

Long way to Lincoln
Sam Keller was named Nebraska's starting quarterback Monday. How he got there:

2003 season: Plays in six games for Arizona State as a freshman, including the second half against UCLA (11-of-21, 79 yards).

Dec. 31, 2004: Makes first start for the Sun Devils, in the Sun Bowl against Purdue. Passes for 370 yards, three touchdowns.

Oct. 8, 2005: Injures right thumb against Oregon, after passing for 1,790 yards and 18 touchdowns in Arizona State's first five games. Has surgery on Nov. 1.

Aug. 18, 2006: Named the ASU starter for the season over Rudy Carpenter. The next day, coach Dirk Koetter changes his mind and names Carpenter the starter.

Aug. 23, 2006: Transfers to Nebraska and has to sit out a season.

Staff writer John Henderson can be reached at 303-954-1299 or [email protected].

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Koetter was a freaking moron, and now ASU is stuck with overrated Rudy Carpenter.

At least Koetter is gone.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good for Keller.

Let's move on, fellow ASU alums, Keller is the past. If he had stayed and started at QB, Erickson wouldn't be here today.

OP
OP
EndZone

EndZone

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Isn't this a college sports forum? Or is just ASU allowed here. I know your dislike for Nebraska, but I grew up there and love the Huskers as well as the Cardinals. I have talked with several people who really like Keller and want him to do well. Just posting "College Sports" news.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't this a college sports forum? Or is just ASU allowed here. I know your dislike for Nebraska, but I grew up there and love the Huskers as well as the Cardinals. I have talked with several people who really like Keller and want him to do well. Just posting "College Sports" news.

Whew boy. Dislike for Nebraska? Try a search of my posts on that one, please and show it here?

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Great! When WakeForest kicks their ass in a few weeks there wont be any excuses!

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great! When WakeForest kicks their ass in a few weeks there wont be any excuses!

This prediction almost made me break my "no wager" rule. Will someone please challenge him so my conscience will be sated?

OP
OP
EndZone

EndZone

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Its alright Gad...people will talk and make predictions. Nebraska has a fairly unproven front four, some serious questions at CB, and a new Sr. QB....and now they are having health problems at RB. All of the above seem more serious on the surface then they really are. I dont figure the Wake game will be too close, Wake was better last year and Nebraska played them the year before last with teh same players and didnt have too much trouble.

It will be a good game. Nebraska by 10...at least.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suspect Wake Forest won't duplicate last year's dream season, but Nebraska can't be too excited about that non conference road game. I wonder when that schedule was put together. I would not be shocked at all to see Wake Forest win that one.

OP
OP
EndZone

EndZone

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I am really excited about our non-conference schedule. Nevada, Wake, and USC. It's a hell of alot better the Iowa School for the deaf and blind that we used to play. We added Wake only a couple years ago.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
I suspect Wake Forest won't duplicate last year's dream season, but Nebraska can't be too excited about that non conference road game. I wonder when that schedule was put together. I would not be shocked at all to see Wake Forest win that one.

I tend to agree, but considering they are returning a ton of their starters from last year, I think they are an 8-9 win team. FSU, BC, Clemson are a year away, and they dont play VT this year.

Plus they get their top two rb's back. We will see. I will be on the sideline for the Nebraska game. Should be fun!

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
This prediction almost made me break my "no wager" rule. Will someone please challenge him so my conscience will be sated?

That outlandish huh? ok, it is Nebraska we are talking about here. Not USC

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tend to agree, but considering they are returning a ton of their starters from last year, I think they are an 8-9 win team. FSU, BC, Clemson are a year away, and they dont play VT this year.

Plus they get their top two rb's back. We will see. I will be on the sideline for the Nebraska game. Should be fun!

and Jim Grobe can flat out coach. I look for Wake to beat Nebraska.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That outlandish huh? ok, it is Nebraska we are talking about here. Not USC

Not outlandish, but I don't think anyone but USC could beat Nebraska in an early September day game in Lincoln. Even when the Huskers are mediocre they're very difficult to beat there in September.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not outlandish, but I don't think anyone but USC could beat Nebraska in an early September day game in Lincoln. Even when the Huskers are mediocre they're very difficult to beat there in September.

Isn't the game in Winston Salem N. Carolina ?

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score

It is at Wake

OP
OP
EndZone

EndZone

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Ya the game is at Wake, and the following week USC comes to Lincoln under the lights. Hopefully Nebraska is not looking ahead AT ALL.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ahhh. My mistake.

I still think the list of teams that beat Nebraska anywhere in September is a very short one.

OP
OP
EndZone

EndZone

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Skkorp it must have been Nebraska players that played for the Cardinals or in the NFL in general that you didn't like and or didn't want to play for the Cards. My mistake.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Skkorp it must have been Nebraska players that played for the Cardinals or in the NFL in general that you didn't like and or didn't want to play for the Cards. My mistake.

You are correct. FB Mackovicka, C Aaron Graham, and that worthless QB turned WR/return man (whose name escapes me right now - Bobby someting-or-other) were horrible and were wasted draft picks who had a lot to do with our losing ways.

I really liked Vanden Bosch though. Wasn't he a Husker too?

OP
OP
EndZone

EndZone

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You are correct. FB Mackovicka, C Aaron Graham, and that worthless QB turned WR/return man (whose name escapes me right now - Bobby someting-or-other) were horrible and were wasted draft picks who had a lot to do with our losing ways.

I really liked Vanden Bosch though. Wasn't he a Husker too?

Yea KVB was a Husker.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson