Saints/Cards trade from inside Saints draft room

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Argh! Blocked from accessing the site! Can someone post it? Is it just "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!"?

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shows had bad we wanted to move down. Maybe I can get Graves to play a few friendly hands of poker. I need some lunch money.

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
But

Did You check out the fan forum....here was a good response:

SAINTS WERE STUPID TO TRADE AWAY THOSE 2 PICKS

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Can someone please just "Copy and Paste" the article over here? Please? I wanna read, I wanna read!!!

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Part III: Sweating out the Saints' big Day 1 moves
April 29, 2003
By Jay Glazer
SportsLine.com Senior Writer
Tell Jay your opinion!

(Editor's note: Check back Thursday for Day 2 draft coverage from inside the New Orleans Saints draft room.)
Updated: 5:35 p.m. ET

METAIRIE, La. -- The day could not have begun with any more uncertainty, yet New Orleans Saints general manager Mickey Loomis strolled to the team's draft war room as if he had a monopoly on confidence.

He was mulling deals with the Vikings, Jaguars and Cardinals about moving up in the draft and a few teams, including the Steelers, about a move down. The biggest afternoon of the NFL offseason was 12 minutes shy of commencing and Loomis walked like he was holding a royal flush.

The Saints had one of the more exciting war rooms this weekend, pulling off a major draft-day trade to move up in Round 1.(AP)
In reality, he had a pair of 3s.

Loomis, accompanied by a reporter, entered the official Saints draft room (it's normally dubbed the War Room, but being sensitive to current events, had its title changed for the year) crowded with men whose contracts depended upon the ensuing 40 hours.

A smattering of whispers could be heard, all with the same inquiry: "Have we gotten a deal yet?"

Loomis took his seat as the draft began. Flanked on his right by owner Tom Benson, the mild-mannered GM quietly discussed options with personnel chief Rick Mueller, stationed to his left, and coach Jim Haslett, positioned across the table.

The first five picks proceeded as predicted but when the Arizona Cardinals' time on the clock arrived, the feeling in the room finally took a noticeable turn. Legs began to shake, idle chatter became annoying, and each second pushed them closer to the reality they could miss out on their guy.

Herein lies the beauty of the draft.

Loomis, fitted in a shirt and tie with sharp khakis, sits with his arms folded never budging despite the fact the nervous energy in the room is approaching a boil. Finally, the phone rings and the Cardinals are on the other line.

Loomis has offered the Cardinals the 17th and 18th first-round picks for the No. 6 overall selection, a swapping of second-rounders (which would move the Saints up to the fifth pick of the second round) and Arizona's fourth-rounder. The Cardinals say they've got a done deal if they would be willing to swap third-rounders.

"No, that doesn't work for us. I'm sorry we can't do that," said Loomis, the room silent for the first time all day. "We can't do that for the thirds. Your offer is fair, but we need to swap those twos; I'm sorry, that's a deal breaker."

Loomis hangs up, says nothing, simply folds his arms once again then sits back in his seat.

Benson is dying to know what the deal is. Haslett and Mueller are now hitting a stage of internal torture. Loomis sits, all the while thinking of ways to trade in his pair of 3s for better cards.

"They'll call back," he mouthed before saying, "If they don't, that's fine, because we have a few other things I can do. But they'll call back ... I hope."

When the phone hit the cradle, Haslett actually moved his entire chair around, rolls his eyes and whispers, "Am I nervous right now? Oh yeah, I'm pretty damn nervous right now."

Mueller's left leg is now under the spell of nervous energy. He doesn't realize it, but eventually both of his knees would begin to bounce more and more forcefully as the seconds of the Cardinals' clock ticked.

Again, Loomis never moved.

Despite the inactivity, Mueller instructs Rick Thompson, the man on the phone with the Saints representatives at the draft in New York, to have them get Georgia defensive tackle Johnathan Sullivan's name ready on the card.

The seconds tick away and still no call. Despite this inactivity, the general manager asks his coach to phone the player and inform him of the situation.

"Johnathan? Hey buddy, it's Jim Haslett of the Saints. I'm just calling to make sure you are OK, nothing has happened to you in the past day or two. Has anybody else called you?

"No? Good. Well, I just want to let you know we are talking about trading up, and if we can, we're taking you. How would you like to be a New Orleans Saint?

"Great. If we get it done, I'll call you back."

Mueller shifts again and now burns a hole in the value board. He is responsible for Loomis' cool demeanor.

"If we don't make that trade, that's fine because we get two really good players," Loomis said. "There were going to be two guys there who Rick really liked. He really liked Sullivan, which you could see by him having him rated No. 5 on the board, and if he likes a guy that much, we have to do whatever we can to try to get him."

"Five minutes left," yells Thompson, the team's college scouting coordinator who happens to monitoring the time left on the clock for each pick.

Another two minutes expires and the nervous energy is now uncomfortable for every man in the room but one. Loomis has yet to budge. His arms never left their crossed position.

Finally, the phone rings.

Loomis looks on the caller ID (just like the normal world would) and sees the number is from Arizona. Just before answering he looks at Mueller, who is already making sure Thompson has a runner at the Saints table prepared to turn in a card to the league with Sullivan's name. The proactive request would not be in vain.

"We have a deal?" Loomis asks. "Yes? OK, we're turning it in."

With that he instructs senior football administrator Russ Ball to inform Joel Bussert of the NFL office of the terms. Loomis keeps the Cardinals on the phone until Bussert hears from them to verify the terms and then gives the official league approval.

Deal done with 2 minutes, 30 seconds remaining.

Haslett jumps up and high fives Mueller.

"That's a hell of a deal," Mueller says to Loomis as they congratulate each other.

"That's really a great deal for us, because we were able to go up and get a guy who we have rated very high, as you can see on our board," he said later. "He's a guy who can be a star for us for years and years, but the great thing is that we also move up in the second and got that fourth. Those were really important for us."

Defensive coordinator Rick Venturi and defensive line coach Sam Clancy are called in to inform them of the move. The pair is ecstatic, but have little interest in learning how they got up to get him. Loomis' acquisition filled the position they slated as their No. 1 need.

Everybody in the room finally takes a breather. They are exhausted having been beaten down by the nerve-racking process of playing liar's poker.

"I may not have looked like it, but my stomach was all knotted up with everyone else," Loomis would say later. "I was going a little crazy inside, but I just sat and calculated our options, which were not bad options at all, if we couldn't get it done.

"You always have to make sure you understand where your leverage is and no matter what happened, we had some things we could do to try to take the emotion out of the equation."

Loomis is a different kind of guy. In the world of pro football, the movers and shakers are the men who solicit themselves to reporters looking to quote a GM. But for every 20 guys who seek publicity, Loomis wants to be found about as much as Salman Rushdie.

In fact, Loomis originally refused -- twice -- to grant SportsLine.com entrée into their room for this piece. He relented after more than a month of discussion regarding the risks with the team's head of PR, Greg Bensel, and SportsLine.com.

"One of the things I really like about Mickey is that he understands these are hard dollars, millions of dollars, we are dealing with and he's sensitive to the fact that he's using somebody else's money," Benson said. "Mickey does not care about getting into popularity contests or what the world will think of certain moves. If it's the best thing to build a winning product, he'll do it, but he does it within limits. Any employer would love that about their guy.

"This is his first draft where he is running the show, per se, but you would never tell, because he's going about this with the same demeanor he does everything else."

When Sullivan became the newest Saint, the entire room took turns congratulating the youngster, each providing a different instruction or words of wisdom what they expect from their newest millionaire.

"Is everybody happy there?" Benson asks his newest employee. "We're really excited down here."

That excitement lasted for all of 10 minutes before the group gathered itself and started to rework the process for the next pick.

Round 2: Flirting with Boss
As each team made their selections, the names were taken off The Big Board and placed in the appropriate slot on an adjacent wall. Each pick is also accompanied by a comment from the critics.

"That was a great pick," proclaimed Mueller when Pittsburgh got hard-hitting safety Troy Polamalu, a player the Saints wanted if they stayed at Nos. 17 and 18. "He's a heck of a player and they fill a need. That's a very good pick."

Other selections are met with a variety of comments from the peanut gallery.

As the first column on their board begins to diminish, the Saints start to get excited.

Georgia linebacker Boss Bailey, a top-15 ranked player on their board, is still available at No. 20. Loomis and Mueller look at their charts to see what it would take to move up from their second-round position at 37 into Round 1.

Jay Glazer (left) and coach Jim Haslett talk draft.(Provided to SportsLine)
Loomis opens a 15-chapter book and pulls from it a chart he compiled, which lists every trade in the past five years and what was surrendered in the transactions.

"This gives me an idea of what has been used in the past to get from one spot to another," he said. "There's really no inflation in these values from year to year, but I still would rather not move up into the first round."

But the temptation begins to grow as Bailey slips a few more spots. Loomis receives a chart from Ball showing the difference in cap value, signing bonus and average salaries and discusses it with Benson. After all, if the team wants to pay a pair of first-rounders, it's Benson's money they will have to do it with.

Haslett gets a call from Tennessee asking if they want to move into the first round. If Bailey is still available when they pick that could be a consideration. The coach then calls Bills president Tom Donahoe asking if they would move the 23rd pick.

"Tom won't trade it because he says his guy is there, but he's trying to tell me he's going to pick (Miami RB Willis) McGahee," Haslett said. "He obviously isn't telling me what they are doing, so something might be going on."

This provided one of the day's most humorous moments. When the Bills took the Miami running back, Haslett jumped up.

"He wasn't lying! I can't believe it. He told me he was taking that kid, but I thought he was just setting a smokescreen!"

These smokescreens are set all day long on every level, every round and every draft room. Sifting through is an art form all to itself.

Who do they believe? Who do they trust? Who can trust them? Most of these coaches and general managers are good friends yet they must misdirect incessantly to come out on top.

For example, another GM calls the room and tries to talk trade with the Saints. When Haslett asks who they are trying to get, the executive on the other end of the phone replies, "Nobody, we're just really bored in here. We wanted to get back in the action."

At 3:45 p.m. ET, Loomis calls Bears GM Jerry Angelo and offers a seventh-rounder or sixth-round pick next year to move up two slots in the second round if Bailey is still on the board.

Loomis and Mueller talk to the team's doctors in the next room over, asking if they are providing everything there is to know about Bailey's two ACL tears. They would make three inquiries in all, trying to figure out if there is more to Bailey's plummet than meets the eye.

As they prepare to steal a guy they have rated as a high first-rounder, they simultaneously prepare for their other candidate. Haslett phones Georgia tackle Jon Stinchcomb to ask if any other teams have phoned him yet.

A minute later, the Lions put the Saints out of their misery when they grabbed the speedy backer, Bailey. Interestingly, there was a split in the Saints' room regarding Bailey, but they unanimously supported the selection of Stinchcomb.

When the Saints were on the clock, Loomis asked scouting assistant Ryan Pace to remove Stinchcomb's name from the board.

"Let's just sit back and wait to see if anybody calls," Loomis said.

With that, the people at the table began to chat about outside diversions. Stunningly, the seconds were ticking off the clock and the players in the room were acting as if they didn't have a selection for two more rounds.

When Mueller asked if they should just send up the name, Loomis again said they would wait until there was 3 minutes remaining. Sure enough, the phone rang as he finished his statement.

One team called asking if the Saints would be willing to trade back. Loomis listened, rejected the offer, then told the room to make the pick.

"That's two guys from Georgia and our first-rounder was from Georgia last year; can't we just fire all of our scouts outside the SEC now?" joked Haslett.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I took off the round 3 stuff and just posted up to the end of round 2 section

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Yeah

Originally posted by SECTION 11
I tried... it's too long. Too many characters.

Yeah it covers all their draft moves....not just round 1.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Thank you!!! Now I have something to read on my smoke break besides the rest of the TMQ novel that he posted today. Does anyone else here read him on ESPN's Page 2? Funny stuff, and he's way smart...

OP
OP
S

saintsalive

Reaction score
I wasnt trying to rub it in (too much), as it is a pretty good look inside the NFL draft process.

Plus, as a Saints fan, I have tons of experience when it comes to enduring awful draft moves ("Hi, Charlie Casserly? Mike Ditka here ...say, we really like this Williams kid...") so I have very little room to talk.

That said, our last two drafts have been really excellent.

Anyway, good luck -- hope your guys work out for you - I wasnt sure about trading up but it the guys I wanted were gone by 17, 18 anyway, so...

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by RedStorm
Shows had bad we wanted to move down. Maybe I can get Graves to play a few friendly hands of poker. I need some lunch money.

It did confirm some other things, they wanted our 3rd for their 3rd and Hand, not Thomas Jones. We wanted hand to agree to a smaller contract, apparently he didn't so we didn't do the deal.
That makes sense to me imagine the anger here if we'd moved back in the 1st, 2nd AND 3rd rounds!

I'd liked to have heard what they (the Saints) thought about JOhnson and Pace but it was still interesting thanks for posting.

stlouiecard

Veteran
Reaction score
I had posted two months ago

that the Cards had a dire interest in Jerome McCdougle. I can't think of a sane reason why we would give away our 6 pick and our 37 for what we got in return not one! McCdougle wasn't worth it and Graves and Co. will continue to hear about this for a long time. The Saints seemingly had their act together and had a great plan that worked! Sullivan will be a great player for them and Terrell Suggs would have been great in AZ also.

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Re: But

Originally posted by BuckeyeCardinal
Did You check out the fan forum....here was a good response:

SAINTS WERE STUPID TO TRADE AWAY THOSE 2 PICKS

Yeah, but we all know Saints fans don't know what they're talking about.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
What we wouldn't give to get that kind of reporting about the Cardinals.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard