****Rumor July 1st is the target date*****

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Yes this is the terrible cost of this, as I mentioned with my season ticket rep being let go.

Lots of people will lose their jobs that aren't players or owners.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it is more.

I think it is less but the percentage is probably irrelevant at this point. What matters is these sorts leagues cannot bleed fans because people have seen what sports-less world is like.

I know people that I considered to be diehard sports junkies who are saying they fully expect their sports consumption to drop considerably. Time may change that but I fully believe them right now.

The players AND owners are freaking this up and neither seems to care.

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
I think it is less but the percentage is probably irrelevant at this point. What matters is these sorts leagues cannot bleed fans because people have seen what sports-less world is like.

I know people that I considered to be diehard sports junkies who are saying they fully expect their sports consumption to drop considerably. Time may change that but I fully believe them right now.

The players AND owners are ******* this up and neither seems to care.

Exactly. My life is no better or worse with or without it. Baseball is not essential to normal life.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Exactly. My life is no better or worse with or without it. Baseball is not essential to normal life.

MLB has been an established part of our lives for well over a century. I would hate to lose it!
That being said, I wonder if there are any underlying reasons why Manfred is going for broke.

I know this is not politically correct, but is the fact that rosters have become heavily populated
by players from south of the border a factor? Is it no longer America's sport?

Or perhaps just that salaries for players (including marginal players) are so obscenely high that
Manfred is willing to lose a season to try to bring it back in line. It is the fans who pay for it.

When a good thing goes bad, there are reasons. It would be foolish to not consider all possibilities.

Add to that . . . COVID-19 might be a threat for the next couple of years. And even if we get an
all-clear, things might never be the same for sports and entertainment as the world we knew. Not
just baseball, but football, basketball, world soccer, tennis, movies, concerts, etc.

The worst thing we could do is to not discuss it. Difficult situations call for difficult conversations.
By the leagues. By the unions. By all of the affected employees. And by the fans. Wouldn't it be
great if Major League baseball sets a positive example for politicians by working together for the
greater good? Someone needs to!

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So they are prepared to lose 50% of the fan base?

I used to go to a hand full of games every year during the inaugural first 6 seasons of the D'Backs. However I wasn't a huge baseball fan and lost interest in the team after the 2004 start to rebuild. From 2006-2018 I probably attended 1 or 2 D'Backs games during that time frame. I just had zero interest in baseball especially with a young family. One of those games was a grade school function that we attended at the park but the kids were young and showed no interest in the ball game. So we never really considered going to another game.

Then for some strange reason last year my 13 year old son started to show an interest in baseball totally out of the blue. Luckily my neighbor gave us 5 games of their season tickets during the week that they couldn't attend. They were great seats right on the D'Backs bullpen. Lots of opportunities for Autographs or a tossed ball for my son.

So I would get off early from work and go to a Tuesday or Thursday night game. We would get there right when the gates opened. We brought our gloves and would try and catch balls during batting practice and foul balls during the game. My son was hooked. In the six games we attended last year he ended up with 10 balls and a bunch of autographes.

My son loved it so much that we decided to split a ticket package with our friends for this upcoming season. I even booked a road trip to San Diego to see the D'Backs play the Padres in May. Obviously we had to cancel that which was very disappointing.

So here we are as I was just really getting excited about MLB for the first time in over a decade. However it has come down to Millionaires bickering with Billionaires with the season in limbo yet again. It is so frustrating and is starting to turn me off to MLB again. What a shame!

:(

:bang:

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You would think the important issue is player safety during pandemic but shows to hell with health and safety when money is at stake. Luckily football isn’t in this scenario yet.

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
MLB has been an established part of our lives for well over a century. I would hate to lose it!
That being said, I wonder if there are any underlying reasons why Manfred is going for broke.

I know this is not politically correct, but is the fact that rosters have become heavily populated

Or perhaps just that salaries for players (including marginal players) are so obscenely high that
Manfred is willing to lose a season to try to bring it back in line. It is the fans who pay for it.

When a good thing goes bad, there are reasons. It would be foolish to not consider all possibilities.

Add to that . . . COVID-19 might be a threat for the next couple of years. And even if we get an
all-clear, things might never be the same for sports and entertainment as the world we knew. Not
just baseball, but football, basketball, world soccer, tennis, movies, concerts, etc.

The worst thing we could do is to not discuss it. Difficult situations call for difficult conversations.
By the leagues. By the unions. By all of the affected employees. And by the fans. Wouldn't it be
great if Major League baseball sets a positive example for politicians by working together for the

Americas sport is football, so players “south of the border” aren’t the factor.
Baseball is a slow boring game with current whiner players that have no interest in the fans or future generations of baseball players. The interest of baseball has been on the decline for years, while interest in the NFL and NBA continues to rise.
It is funny when these baseball turds use the term, “in the interest of the fan”. It’s such a crock of s***.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Further explain the "south of the border" part.

Neither side is thinking macro at this point. Too focused on the moment and extracting every penny they can. This thinking will lead to ruin.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then for some strange reason last year my 13 year old son started to show an interest in baseball totally out of the blue. Luckily my neighbor gave us 5 games of their season tickets during the week that they couldn't attend. They were great seats right on the D'Backs bullpen. Lots of opportunities for Autographs or a tossed ball for my son.

So I would get off early from work and go to a Tuesday or Thursday night game. We would get there right when the gates opened. We brought our gloves and would try and catch balls during batting practice and foul balls during the game. My son was hooked. In the six games we attended last year he ended up with 10 balls and a bunch of autographes.

These are great memories. You and your son will have them forever.

I used to attend ASU baseball games, get there early to watch practice and put my feet on the third base dugout. It also provided the opportunity to talk to the players. I felt like part of the game.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think it is more.

doubt it

everyone said the same in 94 and um teams’ values have gone way up since then (despite owners’ misleading statements on this).

also, 60 games at full pro rated

TONY CLARK 4 PREZ

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What matters is these sorts leagues cannot bleed fans because people have seen what sports-less world is like.

what does this mean?

People have seen what a sports-less world is like and they can’t stand it. People need sports.

after 94 strike MLB lost fans and it didn’t matter