****Rumor July 1st is the target date*****

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

the answer is because management is almost always heartless bastards trying to squeeze talent/labor dry for the freaking bottom line

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
doubt it

everyone said the same in 94 and um teams’ values have gone way up since then (despite owners’ misleading statements on this).

also, 60 games at full pro rated

TONY CLARK 4 PREZ

60 games at full pro rated was the money the owners agreed to from the get go. The dollars never changed.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Baseball is a slow boring game with current whiner players that have no interest in the fans or future generations of baseball players. The interest of baseball has been on the decline for years, while interest in the NFL and NBA continues to rise.

It is funny when these baseball turds use the term, “in the interest of the fan”. It’s such a crock of s***.

I am glad you posted the fan.

I became an MLB (specifically National League) fan as a young kid 68 years ago. That is the fact!

I would like to see our Diamondbacks playing. The Boys of Summer are in the interest of this fan.

Especially with our self-confinement from COVID-19, which is going to be around for a long time.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Further explain the "south of the border" part.

Statistically the volume of MLB players from Central America is disproportionate to the U.S. population.

Which is why I referred to America's game, when it comes to pleasing the fans. As I posted above, I am
a baseball fan. I hope the Players Union, as well as the League and team executives, don't lose sight of
that in their negotiations.

I haven't posted in a while that professional sports are in the public domain, which is another reason for
them to do everything they can, within the confines of COVID-19 safety, to get it going for us.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not the per capita tho

I have read extensively on the financials behind this.

Players wanted - 100+ games with full pro rated salaries.

Owners wanted - dollar figure where they don't lose money.

Either the players had to be willing to take less or the owners were willing operate at a loss. Absent of either the only place where both met was at about 50 - 60 games.

At any time the players could have suggested 60 games at full pro rated salaries with no grievance and the owners would have signed. This is cost neutral for them. The issue is that players already received partial salary payment so 60 games means players are still playing for very little going forward. This is why they didn't suggest it from the get go.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to show you how the money has always been between 50-60 games from the owners side

June 8th offer of 75% for 76 games = 57 full paid games full post season = 3% = 2.28 games. Total games offered of full pay 59.8 games

June 12th offer 80% for 72 games = 57.6 full paid games full post season = 3% = 60.6 games

June 17th offer 100% for 60 games no mention of post season shares = 60.0 games

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Players have already been paid 4% of their full salaries for 162 games. This means that there is no payment for 6.5 games of the season. This is what they get if the season is cancelled.

So the players by agreeing to the 60 game schedule it's really a 54 game pay schedule since that money is lost to the owners no matter what.

That pre payment was a huge issue in the negotiations because players were counting that 6.5 game loss as a paycut already and it is. At 60 games they will only be paid 90% of their salaries. At 100 games they are getting 96% of their check.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
what does this mean?

People have seen what a sports-less world is like and they can’t stand it. People need sports.

after 94 strike MLB lost fans and it didn’t matter

I literally explained it providing anecdotal evidence. I am not suggesting sports will disappear but rather the gravy train might be ending.

I know people who, right now, are saying they will not cuisine as much sports as they have before and I don't take it as hyperbole.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Because Manfred and the Owners thought they could make rubes of the players, using a national catastrophe as leverage in labor talks.

I don't view the MLB Players Union as victims, but the MLB Owners have shown time and time again that there is no depth they won't sink to.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
WTF, the players told the owners just let them know when and where so the season could begin. Screw both sides.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Jeff Passan
⁦‪@JeffPassan‬⁩

You must be registered for see images

⁦‪@JesseRogersESPN‬⁩ The MLBPA’s proposal to MLB is for 70 games, sources tell ESPN, and includes a split of playoff revenues.

While the league is unlikely to accept this proposal, it’s close enough for optimism there will be a season — whether it’s via a deal or MLB setting a shorter schedule.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The players are basically countering 60 games with 73 games or an 18% increase in pay from the owners proposal. They also would make 92% of their salary with the prepay rather than 90%.

So the total request is 20% higher than the owners proposal.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Time to call the whole thing off. Baseball lost credibility with the 70 home run seasons and ridiculous contracts.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave