Round One Conundrums

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Joe Burrow has been one of the most sacked QB's in the NFL and has had 2 season ending injuries.

Sewell gave up 1 sack in 2023 and Orlando Brown gave up 7.

I am sure Burrow loves his college teammate and is rooting for him from the sidelines.
Yeah, getting to the Super Bowl largely on the back of the Burrow/Chase combo was totally not worth the choice lol

C'mon man, this is a bad take. Taking Chase has clearly worked out well for them and it's highly arguable they would have gotten anywhere near as far as they did without him.

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
You can argue all day about the relative impact of elite players like Sewell and Chase, but it's not the choice between Sewell and Chase type players that hurts a team in the long run. It's the decision to draft a journeyman player like Levi Brown when an elite player like Jordan Peterson is available. These misses are hard to overcome.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
Which combo is better? MHJ and Latham/Mims or Alt/Fashano and best WR available? Drafting MHJ means staying at 4, drafting Alt means a 2-3 spot trade down at most. Then use some picks to move back up for one of the top WR’s that are left.

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
Which combo is better? MHJ and Latham/Mims or Alt/Fashano and best WR available? Drafting MHJ means staying at 4, drafting Alt means a 2-3 spot trade down at most. Then use some picks to move back up for one of the top WR’s that are left.
If we dont' take Alt at #4 I think he goes #5 to the Chargers. I know that Alt and Fashanu are closely rated...but I think Alt wins out in the end and it the first OT off the board.

That being said...MHJ and Latham/Fuaga/Mims is the way better option assuming Paris can move to LT and be better than DJ Humphries. Any of those guys would be drafted as RT's and should be really good. There is a bigger gap between MHJ and the rest of the WR then there is from Alt/Fashanu to those other guys if we are purely looking at a RT.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
That being said...MHJ and Latham/Fuaga/Mims is the way better option

Agreed on MHJ and Fuaga - I would take that.

I am doubtful those first 2 guys make it to Texans pick and Mims has hardly played/been injured a lot (very risky).

Red Bird

Veteran
Reaction score
You can argue all day about the relative impact of elite players like Sewell and Chase, but it's not the choice between Sewell and Chase type players that hurts a team in the long run. It's the decision to draft a journeyman player like Levi Brown when an elite player like Jordan Peterson is available. These misses are hard to overcome.
I don’t think Jordan would make a good RB. Would take too long analyzing the situation before hitting the hole
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

I am doubtful those first 2 guys make it to Texans pick and Mims has hardly played/been injured a lot (very risky).

Really, really need defense with the 2nd pick in Round One Chief.

You posted in another thread how many starters on D we could potentially need for 2024.

I don't care if it's Beacham at RT for 2024. Another 1st round pick on the O-line is a luxury we can't afford!

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
O-Line is a luxury pick now? lol
I've been going through the offensive lines of many recent playoff teams and haven't found one so far that has two top-10 draft picks on their OL. It just isn't done that way. Some teams have zero 1st round OL on their team. Most have maybe one or two (a high pick and an almost 2nd rounder). Most are made up of lower round picks and quite a few have UDFAs on them. You can build a playoff-caliber OL without drafting linemen in the top of the first round, especially two in the top ten.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

You posted in another thread how many starters on D we could potentially need for 2024.

I don't care if it's Beacham at RT for 2024. Another 1st round pick on the O-line is a luxury we can't afford!

I hear you.

Who do you think will be there on D with Texans pick?

I feel that we are close to having a dominate Oline - seeing our running game and how we can put so much pressure on the opposing D has me a bit giddy.

Outside of a veteran LG and most likely Hollywood (one year prove it deal), I think the FA money will be spent on D.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

Mims had tightrope surgery..kid was pressured by the media and probably teammates because he didnt return from it as fast as Bowers did...so he came back too early and aggravated the same injury. By training camp that injury is ancient history.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

This is the value of pick 35. There will be first round runs on WR and probably OT..... but there will be a guy at 35 who has a first round grade in all likelihood. Mims may be there because of his injury.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I hear you.

Who do you think will be there on D with Texans pick?

I feel that we are close to having a dominate Oline - seeing our running game and how we can put so much pressure on the opposing D has me a bit giddy.

Outside of a veteran LG and most likely Hollywood (one year prove it deal), I think the FA money will be spent on D.

Thanks TheCardFan!

Who will be the defensive BPA at 23 or so? Hmmm.

TBH, I don't watch a lot of college ball outside of OU. You, @DVontel, Chopper, Sooner Lou, K9 etc. are all more knowledge than me about this. Like by a lot, lol. But I'll check some mocks to see what D players are going in that neighborhood.

And omg I so agree about our kick @ss running game! I mean, controlling the ball like that. Keeping Deebo and McCaffery off the field. Closing out games when you have a lead in the 4th, etc. etc.

It's like we're finally a tough, hard-nosed team. The the kind of team that can win a playoff game on the road, or come back from down 10 in the 4th.

Just praying it carries over to next year too.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
This is the value of pick 35. There will be first round runs on WR and probably OT..... but there will be a guy at 35 who has a first round grade in all likelihood. Mims may be there because of his injury.

It's just my humble opinion, but I really want us to go BPA defense with picks 23 (or whatever) and also 35.

Like you said we could get a really good (defensive) player at 35. Maybe a starter.

But I have to admit if either Mims or Fuaga are there at 35 that might be too good to pass up. Right?

Also, it'll be interesting to see what we do with the oline in FA. If we go get a guy who we can plug in at RT, we'll know what direction we're going in the draft! Defense baby! who hoo! :)

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
It's just my humble opinion, but I really want us to go BPA defense with picks 23 (or whatever) and also 35.

Like you said we could get a really good (defensive) player at 35. Maybe a starter.

But I have to admit if either Mims or Fuaga are there at 35 that might be too good to pass up. Right?

Also, it'll be interesting to see what we do with the oline in FA. If we go get a guy who we can plug in at RT, we'll know what direction we're going in the draft! Defense baby! who hoo! :)
well, like you, ...I want defensive front with the texans pick..so a top three like,

MHJ, Verse/Newton/Murphy, Mims

or

Alt,Verse/Newton/Murphy, Rice

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I've been going through the offensive lines of many recent playoff teams and haven't found one so far that has two top-10 draft picks on their OL. It just isn't done that way. Some teams have zero 1st round OL on their team. Most have maybe one or two (a high pick and an almost 2nd rounder). Most are made up of lower round picks and quite a few have UDFAs on them. You can build a playoff-caliber OL without drafting linemen in the top of the first round, especially two in the top ten.
I’m growing more okay with this as I realize it seems we actually have O-line coaches that are developing players.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

on the rest...IMHO, we are better off spending cap dollars on defense and finishing the offense through the draft... a journeyman corner to go with our young guys..a couple aging vets up front to hold it down while we develop some younger blood...we can probably get 2 solid dline guys for the cost of a starting caliber RT
if we draft well..our offense can be finished for the next few years....and offense puts butts in seats

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually feel the draft is fairly clear for the Cardinals. The only wrench would be if one of the top 3 QBs is still on the board at 4 which would introduce trade down options. Outside of that, the decision is just WR or OT.
I agree

This is the way I'm looking at it for the Cardinals

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
If we dont' take Alt at #4 I think he goes #5 to the Chargers. I know that Alt and Fashanu are closely rated...but I think Alt wins out in the end and it the first OT off the board.

That being said...MHJ and Latham/Fuaga/Mims is the way better option assuming Paris can move to LT and be better than DJ Humphries. Any of those guys would be drafted as RT's and should be really good. There is a bigger gap between MHJ and the rest of the WR then there is from Alt/Fashanu to those other guys if we are purely looking at a RT.
I think the decision to take Alt or Fashanu depends on the offense you run. Fashanu is the better pass blocker and not quite s good as a run blocker while Alt is the better run blocker and not quite as good at pass blocking. For the Cardinals, Alt is the better choice since the offense is geared to more run heavy offense. The Chargers on the other hand seemingly rely more on a pass oriented offense so Fashanu makes more sense for them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson