Round 1

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I’m okay with trading down if none of the top 3 CBs are still on the board. I see round 1 like this,

Horne/Farley
Harris (pass on Etienne)
Smith/Waddle/Toney
Assume Harris and kadarious are trade back candidates?

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Starting to think we just take Harris at 16. Having a legit threat on the ground as well as Murray will just make both players so much better. In a chess game it seems the logical choice. Who gives a crap if the league doesn’t think RBs should be taken that high anymore. You have to work with what you’ve got and improve what you haven’t got

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No please no rb
We are not in position to draft one early
Just if we trade back and getting an additional second or third round pick
If Harris is in the second ok, but no in the first
The recent past should tell u how isn't wise drafting one earlier

Last edited:

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I'd love to trade down in almost all cases besides Patrick Surtain being there, but I don't know if we'll have any dance partners unless a QB drops.

I want this draft to go CB/RB or RB/CB in the first two rounds barring a complete shock of a drop at WR or TE.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
maybe too fine a distinction

im fine with Najee in the 20s and later

16 is too high

i have no issue with a first round RB if he is a true difference maker -- 5 years of inexpensive control

football karma

Reaction score
my combo platter for rounds 1 and 2:

a CB
an offensive weapon

order doesnt matter

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No linemen?
Newsome not an option?
Yea, I would still draft Newsome at 16. The gap between him & the other 3 is not large, if at all. Durability is my main concern, though.

I’ll be damned if we trade back just to end up still taking a RB.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Starting to think we just take Harris at 16. Having a legit threat on the ground as well as Murray will just make both players so much better. In a chess game it seems the logical choice. Who gives a crap if the league doesn’t think RBs should be taken that high anymore. You have to work with what you’ve got and improve what you haven’t got
Guess it actually gotta happen to this fanbase to see why you don’t anymore.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m okay with trading down if none of the top 3 CBs are still on the board. I see round 1 like this,

Horne/Farley
Harris (pass on Etienne)
Smith/Waddle/Toney

Toney? There's a whole bunch of guys I'd take over him. I'd bet my right nut Toney doesn't even go round 1.

WR in round one would be silly IMO. There's a whole bunch of quality guys in round 2.

I'd have OLB as more likely in #1 than WR.

Reactions: PJ1

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Horne/Farley
Harris (pass on Etienne)
Smith/Waddle/Toney

Why pass on Etienne?

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Put me in the camp that won't be mad if we take Harris at 16. I know it would be better to trade down a couple spots to take him but honestly, I don't see anyone trading up to 16. I still expect us to go CB.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is obviously a wacky year so who knows what teams are thinking about trading up or back. We have already seen 3 trades. They were QB driven but there are teams that desperately need a OT or edge rusher that would trade up to get their guy.

Will no combine mean teams have better knowledge on some players than others so they want to move up.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Assume Harris and kadarious are trade back candidates?

I believe it’s a mistake to worry about taking a player too early unless there are a few players still available that you have ranked equally. It’s likely a little bit of a reach to take Toney here, but Harris aside he’s the best offensive weapon at this point. I’d be hesitant to assume Harris is safe on a trade down. I know he went round 3 but Toney reminds me of Lockett. His game speed is better than track speed. He just makes plays. I believe he goes round one, but if the Cards don’t take him he’ll likely go 25 or later.

I think the O-line is deep enough, I want a player at 16 who will see snaps

I don’t like Etienne. Doesn’t look tough enough inside the tackles to me. I have durability concerns using him that way or consistently or for short yardage. He’s fine outside but that duplicates Edmonds’ skill set. If they do move back I’m okay with Williams.

Newsome has a better Pro Day than a career. He got the athleticism, but will have more trouble starting as a rookie in year one.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I believe it’s a mistake to worry about taking a player too early unless there are a few players still available that you have ranked equally. It’s likely a little bit of a reach to take Toney here, but Harris aside he’s the best offensive weapon at this point. I’d be hesitant to assume Harris is safe on a trade down. I know he went round 3 but Toney reminds me of Lockett. His game speed is better than track speed. He just makes plays. I believe he goes round one, but if the Cards don’t take him he’ll likely go 25 or later.

I think the O-line is deep enough, I want a player at 16 who will see snaps

I don’t like Etienne. Doesn’t look tough enough inside the tackles to me. I have durability concerns using him that way or consistently or for short yardage. He’s fine outside but that duplicates Edmonds’ skill set. If they do move back I’m okay with Williams.

Newsome has a better Pro Day than a career. He got the athleticism, but will have more trouble starting as a rookie in year one.

Yeah I don't see taking OL round one after trading for Hudson. There are enough RG/RT candidates on the roster and a rookie will have to pretty damn good to beat out the depth in year one, and would likely not even play.

For me I'm looking for Surtain, Horn, Newsome. That's my top 3 because I value CBs on defense. The pass rush should be good to very good.

The only way I'm looking for a RB is a trade down. Not at 16, none of the backs are a good value there. I like Javonte Williams the best; Harris was surrounded by All stars and Williams was super productive on less carries. Etienne is a distant third for me because I don't see enough wiggle and he is slightly undersized. I see Etienne as more of a scat back.

Farley was ranked higher on my CB board, but injuries have dropped him in my eyes. I just wouldn't be comfortable taking him for a team that needs some immediate contributions.

WR is a bit of a luxury. Will the rookie beat out Kirk? AJ Green? I doubt it. WR is now a day three concern unless the stars align.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
@Harry I'm bullish on Toney as well. Watch his tape, the kid is a stud and makes plays.

I remember the consternation on drafting "slow" Anquan Boldin. Some guys just have dog in them and Toney appears to love making big plays.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah I don't see taking OL round one after trading for Hudson. There are enough RG/RT candidates on the roster and a rookie will have to pretty damn good to beat out the depth in year one, and would likely not even play.

For me I'm looking for Surtain, Horn, Newsome. That's my top 3 because I value CBs on defense. The pass rush should be good to very good.

The only way I'm looking for a RB is a trade down. Not at 16, none of the backs are a good value there. I like Javonte Williams the best; Harris was surrounded by All stars and Williams was super productive on less carries. Etienne is a distant third for me because I don't see enough wiggle and he is slightly undersized. I see Etienne as more of a scat back.

Farley was ranked higher on my CB board, but injuries have dropped him in my eyes. I just wouldn't be comfortable taking him for a team that needs some immediate contributions.

WR is a bit of a luxury. Will the rookie beat out Kirk? AJ Green? I doubt it. WR is now a day three concern unless the stars align.
Kind of bad reason imo

What about his actual traits you don’t like?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Kind of bad reason imo

What about his actual traits you don’t like?

I like that tacklers seem to bounce off him, but I question whether that will work as well at the pro level. Also taller backs tend to be bigger targets.

Like I said, Javonte Williams was nearly as productive with nearly 100 less carries in 2020.

football karma

Reaction score
with his back issues -- Farley looks like someone who is there at #16.

if you were the GM:

1. Surtain, Horn and the top WRs are all off the board
2. no trade down offers

(btw: that also seems like a very likely scenario on draft day)

do you roll the dice on Farley?

you get a player that 30 days ago seemed like the easy #1 corner and a guy you had no shot at.

you also get a player who hasnt played football in year and just had (minor) back surgery

Cardsfan77

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

if you were the GM:

2. no trade down offers

you get a player that 30 days ago seemed like the easy #1 corner and a guy you had no shot at.

you also get a player who hasnt played football in year and just had (minor) back surgery
With Farley I’d simply rely on medical expert consensus opinion then pull the trigger without thinking twice if full recovery and lack of reoccurrence is very likely. Quick internet search says 3-4 months before resuming contact sports activity, so he shouldn’t be at risk of missing training camp.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like that tacklers seem to bounce off him, but I question whether that will work as well at the pro level. Also taller backs tend to be bigger targets.

Like I said, Javonte Williams was nearly as productive with nearly 100 less carries in 2020.
What you said about Najee, you can say about JaVonte, lol. Maybe more cause JaVonte looks for contact a little bit too much for liking & will end up with a very short peak.

Production is only half the battle. That’s why traits are always discussed.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
@Harry I'm bullish on Toney as well. Watch his tape, the kid is a stud and makes plays.

I remember the consternation on drafting "slow" Anquan Boldin. Some guys just have dog in them and Toney appears to love making big plays.
I’m a toney fan too. Wiggle. We don’t have much of that in our wr corps.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

if you were the GM:

2. no trade down offers

I'm likely not taking one of the top 3 WRs even if they're there, but where we stand today I would lean against taking Farley in this situation.

I'd probably take one of the RBs and take the best I can get at CB in the 2nd. Most of the mock drafts I'm seeing lately have all of the RBs off the board before the draft wraps back around to us at 49.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose