Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Offense:

QB:

In:
1-Palmer
2-Stanton

Bubble:
Matt Barkley---with roster spots at a premium it would not be a surprise if BA goes with 2 QBs and keeps UDFA QB Jake Coker on the PS. Barely needs to prove what the Cardinals traded him for---a #3 QB who can play in a pinch.
Jake Coker---if he has a big pre-season, he makes the roster if BA&SK are concerned he would be claimed off waivers.

RB:

In:
3-Johnson, D.
4-Johnson, C.
5-Ellington

Bubble:
Stepfan Taylor---STs play has helped him stick, but the Cardinals added a number of players who could upgrade STs. The fact that BA has turned to Kerwynn Williams when in need of the #4 rusher.
Kerwynn Williams---could win the KO return job which would leapfrog him ahead of Taylor. Has shown at times that he can be successful running the ball.
Elijhaa Penny---at this point a real long shot, but his power running style could enamor the coaches.

WR:

In:
6-Fitzgerald
7-Floyd
8-Brown, John
9-Nelson
10-Brown, Jaron

Bubble:
Brittan Golden---added talent on STs may make it very difficult for him to make the roster this year. He's a fighter, though, and if he emerges as a legit punt returner he could stick.
Jaxson Shipley---the main way he makes the roster is to win the PR job. Has hands and moves to win it.
Amir Carlisle---has speed and open field burst.
Chris Hubert---small school gem who is lightning in a bottle---can make roster as return man.

OL:

In:
11-Veldheer
12-Iupati
13-Boehm
14-Mathis
15-Humphries
16-Watford

Bubble:
A.Q. Shipley---the coaches hope Evan Boehm can wrest the job away early in camp. With Harold Goodwin raving about Earl Watford's play at center and being the Swiss army knife of the unit, and with Goodwin's mentioning of Tyler Boggs as a key reserve, Shipley will have to have a sparkling camp.
Antoine McClain---Goodwin has been raving about him and is usually the first player he mentions when asked about his depth. Big mauler who could be in line to take over at RG when Mathis retires.
Cole Toner---his ability to play tackle, guard and even center likely earns him a roster spot. Should assimilate quickly into the offense.
Tyler Boggs---this guy could be one of the top camp surprises and goodwin has been impressed thus far.

TE:

In:
17-Fells
18-Gresham

Bubble:
Troy Niklas---it's his time to prove why the Cardinals picked him in the 2nd round in 2014. Should injuries and inconsistent play persist, he could be the odd man out.
Ifeanyi Momah---another big camp could win him not only a roster spot but a decent role in the offense.
Gerald Christian---STs, versatility (H-back, FB), great attitude and toughness all work in his favor. BA really likes this kid.

18 Ins---and likely 6 to make the roster as BA will probably keep key reserves at QB, RB, WR and OL on the PS, so that he can keep 26 defensive players on the roster.

Defense:

NT:

In:
19-Corey Peters

Bubble:
Red Bryant---was an asset last when inserted to slow down running games.
Xavier Williams---showed flashes as a rookie, could be a keeper.

DE:

In:
20-Campbell
21-Gunter
22-Nkemdiche
23-Mauro

24-Rucker

Bubble:
Ed Stinson---the position is crowded, thus Stinson will need a big camp.

ILB:

In:

25-Minter
26-Bucannon

27-Fua

Bubble:
Gabe Martin---was promoted and active late last year, has range and STs ability
Chris Clemons---being used behind Bucannon at "dollar" ILB
Lamar Louis---LSU ST ace, could bolster STs
Mathias Farkey---runs a 4.45 and has some Deone-type traits.

OLB:

In:
28-Golden
29-Jones

Bubble:
Alex Okafor---seems eager to atone for subpar year and off-field gaffe.
Kareem Martin---got some RDE rush snaps last year, has bull rush, but can he bend and turn the corner?
Tristan Okpalaugo---has size and athleticism, was a sack leader in CFL.
Shaq Riddick---length and athleticism are assets, but can he stay healthy and produce?
Zack Wagenmann---Montana edge rushing phenom who needs to show he can translate his game to the NFL

CB:

In:
30-Peterson
31-Bethel
32-Williams
33-Miller

Bubble:
Asa Jackson---3-4 year veteran who has looked good in OTAs thus far.
Shaun Prater---combo CB/S who plays an aggressive style.
Cariel Brooks---coaches like his skill set.
Ellie Bouka---runs a 4.3, reacts swiftly to the ball and delivers big hits.

S:

In:
34-Mathieu
35-Jefferson
36-Branch
37-Swearinger
38-Christian

Bubble:
Brandon Person---coaches are high on him, might need another year on PS.

Special Teams:

In:
39-Catanzaro

Bubble:
Drew Butler---came on strong late last year, but overall consistency was below average.
Garrett Swanson---big leg, not only for punts but for kickoffs.
Kam Canaday---LS candidate from Portland St. Has looked good in OTAs.
Danny Dillon---LS candidate from Campbell. Has looked good in OTAs.

Your thoughts?

If I am correct about the 39 Ins---which 14 players make the roster?

Right now---I think:

1-RB Kerwynn Williams
2-G Antoine McClain
3-G/T Cole Toner
4-C A.Q. Shipley
5-TE Ifeanyi Momah
6-TE Troy Niklas
7-NT Red Bryant
8-ILB Chris Clemons
9-OLB Tristan Okpalaugo
10-OLB Shaq Riddick
11-OLB Zack Wagenmann
12-CB Ellie Bouka
13-P Garrett Swanson
14-LS Kam Canaday

PS: QB Coker; RB Penny; WR Hubert; T Wetzel; C/G Boggs; TE Christian; NT Williams; ILB Martin; CB Brooks; S Person.

Last edited:

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Man I would trade Stanton to the Jets, unless he is our QBOTF after Palmer? I wanted Barkley in the draft, he hasn't played any snaps for us but I think he is a younger Stanton - I like Stanton so he could get a chance to play before its too late.

Golden- Shipley and Momah is my offseason guesses -

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I'd like to see Elijhaa Penny make it over Taylor.

We NEED to find an effective returner. Not sure who that is yet. Brandon Williams?

Last edited:

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Take AQ Shipley and Barkley off the "bubble" and put them on the active roster, and this is accurate.

Reaction score
Offense:

QB:

In:
1-Palmer
2-Stanton

Bubble:
Matt Barkley---with roster spots at a premium it would not be a surprise if BA goes with 2 QBs and keeps UDFA QB Jake Coker on the PS. Barely needs to prove what the Cardinals traded him for---a #3 QB who can play in a pinch.
Jake Coker---if he has a big pre-season, he makes the roster if BA&SK are concerned he would be claimed off waivers.

RB:

In:
3-Johnson, D.
4-Johnson, C.
5-Ellington

Bubble:
Stepfan Taylor---STs play has helped him stick, but the Cardinals added a number of players who could upgrade STs. The fact that BA has turned to Kerwynn Williams when in need of the #4 rusher.
Kerwynn Williams---could win the KO return job which would leapfrog him ahead of Taylor. Has shown at times that he can be successful running the ball.
Elijhaa Penny---at this point a real long shot, but his power running style could enamor the coaches.

WR:

In:
6-Fitzgerald
7-Floyd
8-Brown, John
9-Nelson
10-Brown, Jaron

Bubble:
Brittan Golden---added talent on STs may make it very difficult for him to make the roster this year. He's a fighter, though, and if he emerges as a legit punt returner he could stick.
Jaxson Shipley---the main way he makes the roster is to win the PR job. Has hands and moves to win it.
Amir Carlisle---has speed and open field burst.
Chris Hubert---small school gem who is lightning in a bottle---can make roster as return man.

OL:

In:
11-Veldheer
12-Iupati
13-Boehm
14-Mathis
15-Humphries
16-Watford

Bubble:
A.Q. Shipley---the coaches hope Evan Boehm can wrest the job away early in camp. With Harold Goodwin raving about Earl Watford's play at center and being the Swiss army knife of the unit, and with Goodwin's mentioning of Tyler Boggs as a key reserve, Shipley will have to have a sparkling camp.
Antoine McClain---Goodwin has been raving about him and is usually the first player he mentions when asked about his depth. Big mauler who could be in line to take over at RG when Mathis retires.
Cole Toner---his ability to play tackle, guard and even center likely earns him a roster spot. Should assimilate quickly into the offense.
Tyler Boggs---this guy could be one of the top camp surprises and goodwin has been impressed thus far.

TE:

In:
17-Fells
18-Gresham

Bubble:
Troy Niklas---it's his time to prove why the Cardinals picked him in the 2nd round in 2014. Should injuries and inconsistent play persist, he could be the odd man out.
Ifeanyi Momah---another big camp could win him not only a roster spot but a decent role in the offense.
Gerald Christian---STs, versatility (H-back, FB), great attitude and toughness all work in his favor. BA really likes this kid.

18 Ins---and likely 6 to make the roster as BA will probably keep key reserves at QB, RB, WR and OL on the PS, so that he can keep 26 defensive players on the roster.

Your thoughts?

Which 6-7 players do you keep?

Momah, J.Shipley, McClaine, Penny, Toner, Coker, & maybe Niklas.

Last edited:

pinetopred

Registered
Reaction score
I completely agree with Niklas if he can't show this offseason to be more then just another TE IMO time to move on. 3rd year is usually the make or break year for these kids in the harsh world of the NFL.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
I can't see us with fewer than 9 O-linemen this year unless we sign a free agent. Shipley sticks unless Watford became the center. Which if he could play center at a high level would be great.

As of right now I think Barkley is the third QB and Coker makes the practice squad.

I think Momah makes the team over Christian at TE. He was the best TE in camp last year and should have started if he had not gotten hurt.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thank u mitch,in this time of the year when we dont get news about football having a poster like you give us the opportunity to read something interesting

Last edited:

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I think Ifeanyi Momah will make the team if he plays as good as he did last year before he got injured.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
I thinks it's a numbers game rather than a name game.

There will be 9 OLs and 3 TEs on the roster. That's the first 4 Players.
Shipley is a lock and McClain and Toner would be my choice. I wouldn't be surprised if one of them got send to the PS with the addition of a veteran swing tackle.

Unless Momah has lost a step or something due to injury, he's a lock too. Given BA's preference for TEs I assume we will keep 4 TEs. Niklas when healthy is superior to Christian.

That leaves one or two players. I think 4 RBs are more likely that 7 WR, but it all comes down to Special Teams play.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Thank u mitch,in this time of the year when we dont get news about football having a poster like you give us the opportunity to read something interesting

We can always count on Mitch to give us somthing to debate especially now when there is nothing new to read or discuss.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mitch, I'm not in a position to evaluate their abilities, but I hope, Riddick (OLB) and Bouka (CB) make the roster. And another great job by you.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Mitch, I'm not in a position to evaluate their abilities, but I hope, Riddick (OLB) and Bouka (CB) make the roster. And another great job by you.

Garth---Riddick and Okpalaugo have the length and athleticism that BA&SK want. Both are raw talents and will have to put the pedal to the metal. The sleeper here is Zack Wagenmann---for one, i think he would be very good on STs, and his motor and aggression are going to make him a favorite of the coaches, imo. I also think they could use him some at SILB.

I just can't get back on the Okafor bandwagon just yet. He was such a major disappointment last year---and as any coach would do, if the younger players are looking just as good, you go with the younger players. Now---Okafor is saying all the right things and he appears to be highly motivated and he needs to be in order to show he is head and shoulders better than Martin, Riddick, Okpalugo and Wagenmann.

Martin is another guy who really needs to step up---he's got some power to his game, but thus far has not shown edge rush arc bend and quickness---and in taking on the Russell Wilson's and Cam Newton's of the league, the Cardinals need quickness and pure athleticism on the edge.

As for Ellie Bouka---wow. Even BA said his game tapes are off the charts. Now, granted, those games were in Canada---but, he does things on tape that pro CBs do---he shadows and mirrors well, he closes on a dime, he attacks the ball and he tackles with ferocity. Plus, he is return man.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Coker is more than likely headed for the PS. I see him as camp fodder until then unless he really knocks some socks off.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Coker is more than likely headed for the PS. I see him as camp fodder until then unless he really knocks some socks off.

I agree. we spent a draft pick on Barkley....but not on Coker....that should indicate who has the edge going into camp.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score

Regardless---it would seem pretty certain at this point that in the next 10-11 months the Cardinals will draft or acquire what they hope to be their QBOF.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regardless---it would seem pretty certain at this point that in the next 10-11 months the Cardinals will draft or acquire what they hope to be their QBOF.
Window is closing on CP and they have to address the QBOTF position sooner than later. I think they will be looking at trading for an established QB like when we got CP.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Enough with the Momah nonsense..............Niklas has gotten better and has shown he can produce in a real game...........Momah nothing............I like Gerald Christian also and think he has a damn good shot if Catrds keep 4 TE.Amazing how Niklas catches more crap from fans than Humphries who WAS A FIRST ROUND PICK WHO DID NOT EVEN GET ACTIVATED ALL SEASON.

Reaction score
Enough with the Momah nonsense..............Niklas has gotten better and has shown he can produce in a real game...........Momah nothing............I like Gerald Christian also and think he has a damn good shot if Catrds keep 4 TE.Amazing how Niklas catches more crap from fans than Humphries who WAS A FIRST ROUND PICK WHO DID NOT EVEN GET ACTIVATED ALL SEASON.

Lol. Good one. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson