Rondale "Bust" Moore

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have to question his field vision, seems often taking the wrong lines and finding a wall stone in front of him, same as returner
I thought his playmaking skills were legit

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He’s being used wrong. Fastest guy on the field and we never send him deep? We never have him run slants it’s just the same thing over and over .

This coaching staff has no idea how to use guys or put them in position to win

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Agreed. Had he been drafted instead by the Cards, the title of this thread would be “Deebo ‘Bust’ Samuel.”

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Uh, considering Deebo is good and contributes significantly, this is clearly untrue.
Yeah, but don’t ya think the Cards would have somehow screwed things up if they had Deebo?

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Throwing this from another thread into here:

You can see separation here and it's not that

Moore had the largest cushion for WRs/TEs, the largest average separation, the highest catching %, the 4th highest YAC, but the lowest Average Targeted Air Yards BY 3.5 YARDS!! He also was the lowest % in % Share of Team's Air Yards at 1.68% with the next lowest being 5.59%. This just shows that his job was to deliberately targeted short, which is mind boggling that it was this low.

Moore was also 18th in the Average YAC above Expected.

It's fascinating to see that the system sucked, not him.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Moore had the largest cushion for WRs/TEs, the largest average separation, the highest catching %, the 4th highest YAC, but the lowest Average Targeted Air Yards BY 3.5 YARDS!! He also was the lowest % in % Share of Team's Air Yards at 1.68% with the next lowest being 5.59%. This just shows that his job was to deliberately targeted short, which is mind boggling that it was this low.

He had an 8 yard cushion and a 5.7 yard separation.

So, by time the ball was snapped and Kyler threw the sideways pass, the DB moved forward by about 2.3 yards :)

I really dislike Kliff Kingsbury as a coach.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Way too early to judge, though he’s made his share of rookie mistakes. He seems to be the victim of poor play design and poor coaching. Apparently he’s expected to run over defenders and make his own holes. They need to get him the ball on the second level where he can better use his burst and agility. Keim has made more than his share of bad picks, but the coaching has made many look worse than they are.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The problem with the way Kliff wants to use more is our downfield blocking sucks.

Teams the the Rams have good and willing blockers at WR and TE.

Our WRs flap their hands in the general direction of a defender and think that's enough.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Basically confirms what most of us besides stout can see. The kid isn’t a bust he was doomed to fail by his coaching staff. Even then he didn’t really fail.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Oh, he's a bust thus far, for certain. Notice I said thus far. I don't have much faith in him moving forward, and expect more of the same, but all we can do is hold out hope that players can change and develop.

Does he have a bit of wiggle? Sure. Did he show a few flashes? That's the key word--a few. When everything was absolutely perfect, he flashed. Flashed only because there was zero consistency and he got worse as the year went on. He showed no propensity for getting downfield and no propensity for getting better and being a good safety valve. Sure, he can be a "3 yards when you need 15" safety valve, but that's not what we need in a 2nd-rounder.
To be fair Stout, some of that is Kingsbury's fault. Man is in love for some reason with those sorry screens and Rondale is the recipient of that obsession. I think he'll be better year 2. I like (not love) the kid.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Rondale Moore had an extremely low depth of target in college as well. Over 70% of his yards came after the catch. The Cardinals are using him exactly how he's always been used, and what they drafted him for. He's never been a route running, downfield receiver. You can watch his college highlights and nearly every single play is him catching a short pass and running down the field. That's a lot harder in the NFL. In my opinion, using a 2nd round pick on a gadget player is a luxury that you can afford when you are already set at the more important positions like outside WR, and RB, which we are not. We're plugging those holes with past-prime, oft injured veterans because Steve Keim chooses to use draft capital around the fringes of the roster instead of solidifying core positions. If you're expecting Rondale to ever be used as a deep threat, I'm afraid you will be very disappointed.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Rondale Moore had an extremely low depth of target in college as well. Over 70% of his yards came after the catch. The Cardinals are using him exactly how he's always been used, and what they drafted him for. He's never been a route running, downfield receiver. You can watch his college highlights and nearly every single play is him catching a short pass and running down the field. That's a lot harder in the NFL. In my opinion, using a 2nd round pick on a gadget player is a luxury that you can afford when you are already set at the more important positions like outside WR, and RB, which we are not. We're plugging those holes with past-prime, oft injured veterans because Steve Keim chooses to use draft capital around the fringes of the roster instead of solidifying core positions. If you're expecting Rondale to ever be used as a deep threat, I'm afraid you will be very disappointed.
I have no way to prove it but I doubt such a high % of his college targets were behind the line of scrimmage. The few deep routes he’s run could be tighter but I think they are good enough to be useful. He catches adequately over the shoulder. Finally, as I suggested, if they would target him about 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage and lead him either laterally or moving forward down the field I suspect he would be far more of an impact player.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Basically confirms what most of us besides stout can see. The kid isn’t a bust he was doomed to fail by his coaching staff. Even then he didn’t really fail.
Oh, I've said he's a bust so far. He gets another chance next year. His coach certainly isn't doing him any favors. The problem is, neither is he. His most memorable plays this year were eff ups. For a guy whose return skills play a huge role in his position on the team, I never want to see him returning anything again. Too many boneheaded plays. Sure, I hope he gets some deeper routes next year, and I hope he can do something, because he ain't done squat yet.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
To be fair Stout, some of that is Kingsbury's fault. Man is in love for some reason with those sorry screens and Rondale is the recipient of that obsession. I think he'll be better year 2. I like (not love) the kid.
No doubt. Those plays make we want to return to the days of breaking the 5 dollar universal remotes during every Cards game. I hope he's better next year, but he was vastly overdrafted and I haven't seen anything yet to convince me otherwise.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I would say a bigger problem is Kyler can't throw it over the middle, so Moore is going to have a hard time growing into that role.
Actually I think that’s a Kliff problem! Think about it.

Outside of the throws to Ertz in the middle of the field, the receivers rarely runs routes in the territory. Limited (rarely) crossing routes & route tree are the issues with this offense imo. The majority of passes reside outside of the hash marks! That’s Kliffs fault & is his offense.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Kliff isn’t & doesn’t use Moore anything more than as a gadget player. His offense is basically making him Taven Austin lol

Screen after screen after scree! Imo his development is on Kliff to adapt his offense! The sad thing Keim basically drafted a slot WR 3 consecutive years in a row & his staff doesn’t understand how to use any of the 3, other than Kirk at times. I still say that AI, Kirk & Morre would all 3 flourish in an Andy Reid type offense. Hmmmm

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually I think that’s a Kliff problem! Think about it.

Outside of the throws to Ertz in the middle of the field, the receivers rarely runs routes in the territory. Limited (rarely) crossing routes & route tree are the issues with this offense imo. The majority of passes reside outside of the hash marks! That’s Kliffs fault & is his offense.

I don't know where he finished but for most of the year Kyler Murray led the NFL in QBR and passer rating when throwing over the middle. So if Kyler can't throw over the middle, apparently neither can anybody else.

I was disappointed in our use of Rondale too I expected more, I hope we figure it out. I want to use him more like Miami used Waddle, but I also want to take some more shots downfield with him.

From everything my Purdue fan friends say the reason they didn't throw deep stuff to him in college is the QB, Blough, had a noodle arm.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Yeah I pointed that out earlier in the season. I think he actually had some stunning stat like more YAC than actual yards on the season, which is nuts for a receiver.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Yeah I pointed that out earlier in the season. I think he actually had some stunning stat like more YAC than actual yards on the season, which is nuts for a receiver.
Yeah, and the kid has shown he can catch, but do they have him running even a basic route tree... noooo lol

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
No he really isn’t. SMH FYI he wasn’t used that way by the coaching staff. Clear as day. You literally have no clue about the ability to do that stuff.
Exactly. Yes I'm biased to him cause he's a local kid for me but freshman all americans don't grow on trees. There's a reason he was a freshman all american at Purdue. He lead the nation or close to it in YAC his freshman season. He can make people miss & is fast as crap. Bust................not ready to call him a bust, that label goes to none other than Andy Isabella. I blame KK for not utilizing Moore to his full capabilities, instead he was used on gadget plays. I guess people forget the long sideline TD he had early in the season, made a guy miss & sprinted to the end zone. At one point early on I think he was our leading WR? It's time for KK to realize that he should use him like Tyreke Hill & let him run the whole route tree, not just gadget jet sweep plays. Yes he got hurt but every player gets hurt at some point, too physical of a game not to. How can a player be considered a bust if they don't get a chance? Isabella had his chances & he is a bust imo.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If Moore was playing for Kansas City or even with the Saints and Payton's approach and used right, it would be laughable to call him a bust. I bet if Simmons played for the Seahawks we would not even be contemplating him as a bust... I bet if Collins played for the Steelers or Patriots we would be asking why did we not draft him lol
Exactly. Maybe our whole coaching staff is a bust except for Jerry Sullivan lol. He's the one who wanted to draft Justin Jefferson after all.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
No doubt. Those plays make we want to return to the days of breaking the 5 dollar universal remotes during every Cards game. I hope he's better next year, but he was vastly overdrafted and I haven't seen anything yet to convince me otherwise.
I understand your point but if KK gets his head out of his ass & gives Moore the same chances he gives Kirk you will, unlike Kirk, Moore will make people miss & get plenty of YAC. Seeing is believing I get it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson