Rodney Hudson - returns after holding out?

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I saw somewhere that Hudson may have been thinking about retiring for months and the front office was aware. If that's true, it really sucks that they were not proactive having a plan B.
This is the Way.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I will say this, if a guy is thinking about retiring from a brutal sport like football, you do not try and convince them to play because they are already not there as a player. You cannot go into something like this with your mind halfway. If the Cardinals 'convince' him when he already has doubts, then he will not be any good for a whole season and will likely get hurt. The Cards frankly need to give him a deadline and not try and convince him to come back, which is what they might be doing

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be pissed to. He's arguably the 2nd most important player on the offense.

Totally agree.

Without Hudson this team went to crap last season. If the Cardinals don't have Hudson this season they are in for a world of hurt. How many drives last season were derailed while Hudson was out where the snap either sailed over Murray's head or bounced off the ground before reaching him? Hopkins missing 6 games pales in comparison to No Hudson this season.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Totally agree.

Without Hudson this team went to crap last season. If the Cardinals don't have Hudson this season they are in for a world of hurt. How many drives last season were derailed while Hudson was out where the snap either sailed over Murray's head or bounced off the ground before reaching him? Hopkins missing 6 games pales in comparison to No Hudson this season.
Yeah, but Hudson was botching his snaps too. It was not the botched snaps when he was out, it was the total lack of an interior line blocking and Kyler then having nothing to do with even contemplating stepping up into the pocket... they are going to have to surmise another name for Kyler's hot reads, maybe something like 'nanosecond reads' lol

Last edited:

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but Hudson was botching his snaps too. It was not the botched snaps when he was out, it was the total lack of an interior line blocking and Kyler then having nothing to do with even contemplating stepping up into the pocket... they are going to have to surmise another name for Kyler's hot reads, maybe something like 'nanosecond reads' lol
I don't remember Hudson botching snaps.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I'm not diminishing it. The topic is starting centres. Most of them can't did place a much older vet so are playing G.

If we had a discussion about best outside receivers drafted would you include guys playing slot just because they played outside in college?
If we were discussing the hit rate of outside college wide receivers in rounds one and two, and a guy was like Kirk, I would count him as a hit, yes. Just because he was more impactful as a slot WR doesn't mean he was an average outside WR.

Let's say we did want to narrow the list of the hit rate of college centers who were drafted to play C in the NFL.

Humphrey
Myers
Bradbury
McCoy
Ragnow
Price
Pocic

That still produces a 5 of 7 hit rate of a starter which is 71% and Pocic is competing for the Browns starting spot. And if you REALLY want to haggle, not including Bradbury still puts you at a 57% hit rate of an average to above average starter. Not to mention almost every option on that list is probably better than what we are facing.

Last edited:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guess we’ve become more stats crazy, but I thnk it all boils down to need, risk, cap room and production - those plus FO personnel priorities. These can be achieved via gut instinct and experience just as well as by stats. Frankly, all this reliance on stats makes my brain hurt. Whatever will be etc. etc.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He botched snaps all season long

Yeah lots of low ones. That's allegedly one of the issues he had he didn't realize how much trouble he was going to have with all the shotgun snaps in this offense and may simply not have the drive left to do it again. Unconfirmed but was something I saw.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah lots of low ones. That's allegedly one of the issues he had he didn't realize how much trouble he was going to have with all the shotgun snaps in this offense and may simply not have the drive left to do it again. Unconfirmed but was something I saw.
Yup low and off to the side. Mad card just isn’t remembering correctly. It was bad. Sometimes multiple in same game.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup low and off to the side. Mad card just isn’t remembering correctly. It was bad. Sometimes multiple in same game.

Yeah I'm not talking about low ones. I'm talking about the ones that bounced on the ground a yard short or were launched over his head and Murray had to chase down the ball and fall on it if he could. I don't remember many of those from Hudson.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm not talking about low ones. I'm talking about the ones that bounced on the ground a yard short or were launched over his head and Murray had to chase down the ball and fall on it if he could. I don't remember many of those from Hudson.
Yea absolutely def some were from him. He played and started 12 games. It was a complete season long issue not just when he was out not even close. I remember shaking my head during a couple games thinking really dude? We traded for this? And posted about it during game threads.

Last edited:

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Yeah let’s move your most consistent Olineman to center (which he’s admittingly never played) & weaken 2 positions instead of one. Stupid imo. Leave Pugh at LG & go get a C. Moving Pugh, would be a crappy Keim move. Jeez just stop it

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Yeah let’s move your most consistent Olineman to center (which he’s admittingly never played) & weaken 2 positions instead of one. Stupid imo. Leave Pugh at LG & go get a C. Moving Pugh, would be a crappy Keim move. Jeez just stop it
I think the only reason Pugh even came back and didn't retire, was the opportunity for a position change. He's on record about the change extending his career. So it's probably have Pugh at Center or don't have him at all.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I think the only reason Pugh even came back and didn't retire, was the opportunity for a position change. He's on record about the change extending his career. So it's probably have Pugh at Center or don't have him at all.
Well, that would be monumentally stupid from Keim then. WTF does Keim do if Hudson stays, in that scenario? We have no LG and Pugh backing up at C? Even if Hudson leaves, it's dumb, running with an old newbie center and still with a big LG hole. I mean, there's no good POV here.

If it were have Pugh at C or not have him at all, why wouldn't Keim have just replaced him earlier in the offseason?

Reaction score
Well, that would be monumentally stupid from Keim then. WTF does Keim do if Hudson stays, in that scenario? We have no LG and Pugh backing up at C? Even if Hudson leaves, it's dumb, running with an old newbie center and still with a big LG hole. I mean, there's no good POV here.

If it were have Pugh at C or not have him at all, why wouldn't Keim have just replaced him earlier in the offseason?

Didn't Josh Jones play Left Tackle in college? Maybe he's just better on the left side than the right. I remember Hump had issues playing on the right as well. There's the possibility he's better at LG than RG. Don't know the answer. Just thinking out loud. I doubt they don't have a plan though.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Didn't Josh Jones play Left Tackle in college? Maybe he's just better on the left side than the right. I remember Hump had issues playing on the right as well. There's the possibility he's better at LG than RG. Don't know the answer. Just thinking out loud. I doubt they don't have a plan though.
I don't doubt they have a plan. I just question if it's a good plan. Our OL, especially considering depth, was nowhere near good enough last season. Our OL looks to be significantly worse this season. Argh!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose