Rod Graves - Vote of Confidence

Rod Graves vote of confidence

• I fully support R. Graves' decisions and the direction he is taking this team

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • I'm not completely happy, but I give him the benefit of the doubt

Votes: 35 41.2%
  • Very concerned, and have serious doubts about the personnel decisions

Votes: 23 27.1%
  • He's setting us up for a 3 win season - HORRIBLE moves

Votes: 23 27.1%

• Total voters

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So far what do you think of the job Graves has done so far?

Granted, its his first time as VP of operations, and he has much more info (medical, scouting rpts) etc...than we will ever see.

He is honest and straightforward in the media (which may or may not be a good thing). When he said we wouldn't tag Boston, it happened. When he said we would not likely take a 1st rd QB, we passed on Leftwich.

He did sign some players to extensions before their contracts were up (unheard of before), and got F. Jones for a bargain price.

On the other hand, we overpaid for Starks, got nothing for Boston, and this draft strategy scares me. I think he is giving up too much value for what we got in return.

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would almost bet that after June 1st we will hear...Just wait till after Training Camp. Then, we will be asked to wait to mid season or end of the season to judge. Then we will be asked to wait a couple years because rookies do not make any impacts. Pace will have to have a year under his belt and put on more weight.

Rod said to wait until June 1st so lets wait...but no longer. An request for an extention to me would be an admintance of failure and trying to spin.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
After the moves that I have seen so far I have to say Graves knows nothing about his job or football in general and any one on this board could do a better job than him.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Snakester
After the moves that I have seen so far I have to say Graves knows nothing about his job or football in general and any one on this board could do a better job than him.

What exactly is it about his personnel moves that you dont like?

We upgraded many position via FA. Went after the two top Pass rushing FA options and offered them way more money but it still didnt work. But I give an A+ for effort!

Other than this questionable draft strategy I like what he has done!

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
First let's talk about David Boston, Martay Jenkins and Frank Sanders. Not tagging Boston was the dumbest move in all of sports this year. One of the top five receivers in the league was let go and we got nothing for him. Jenkins was not offered enough money and got mad and left just to spite us. After we had lost those two we didn't make much of an effort to keep Sanders. Now we have a huge whole at WR and so far it looks like we are replacing it with draft picks, which is stupid because it takes at least a couple of years for receivers to make an impact and we didn't get that great of receivers in the draft to begin with.
Passrush. With more money than any other team Graves did not get us a pass rusher in free agency. When it came time for the draft Terrell Suggs was there at #6 and the idiot Graves trades down to get Calvin Pace who will never turn out to be squat and should have been in the second if not third round and a possession receiver that we wouldn't have taken in the first place if he had not let Boston go. This teams greatest weekness has still not been addressed and without a passrush again this year just how many freakin games do you think we are gonna win.
FREE AGENCY We get a running back on his last legs for almost four million dollars a freakin year when nobody else would have givin him half that. And we already had Marcel Shipp, and Thomas Jones to back him up. Don't you think that was a little bit of a reach at best. We let our starting center go and replace him with a guy that is only backup material in Frank Garcia. With all of the impact players that were there in free agency to get we got none. We did get an ok safety and a good fullback with all that money. We let Jake Plummer go and got the great and almighty Jeff (You have got to be kidding) Blake. And we did sign all powerful and knowing Cameron Spikes. So you tell me what Graves has done that is so great huh because I just don't see it.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the truth I think

Is somewhere in the middle.

Some of Graves moves have been solid.

Some have been idiotic...at least at this point.

I put myself in the very concerned section.

Graves went after good people...he just hasn't sealed the deal on many of them. THAT is what concerns me.

wierwolf

Koolaid Guzzler
Reaction score
This is a brand new team. I think we will be more competitive now. We were not winning with who we had. Offense especially. Say what you want about the WR corps I think they have potential. plus after we pick up Robinson via FA maybe another Defensive FA. We will have something big potentially. I say potentionally. Because we could have a season like last year where everyone gets hurt.:rolleyes:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's a good poker player, but that's about it.

Here's a guy who makes a big show about doing things with discipline, but then trades down too far to be assured he'll get value/address need with the #17th pick.

All you have to do is count from 6 to 17 and count the number of acceptable players on your board. If they don't total 12, you don't do the deal.

Three mistakes were made by Graves in round one:

1. He passed up a superstar at the one position HE targeted as our biggest need.

2. He traded beyond the point where we could guarantee getting a player we wanted.

3. With McDougle off the board, he reached for Pace instead of accepting a momentary defeat and making a value pick at another position - like Faine, Joseph or even McGahey.

It demonstrated to me that, for a guy who supposedly has the credentials, he handled the situation amateurishly - almost as though he felt that, as the new GM, he had to "show Mac and the Bidwills" how clever he could be (and that he was worth his salary), instead of doing the logical thing and simply drafting Suggs.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shane H
What exactly is it about his personnel moves that you dont like?

We upgraded many position via FA. Went after the two top Pass rushing FA options and offered them way more money but it still didnt work. But I give an A+ for effort!

Other than this questionable draft strategy I like what he has done!

Thats not all, we also resisted to give TOO much money to those guys... We could of got desperate and way over paid to get them, and hurt the team doing so...

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
From what we have seen so far, McGrave does not get it. This has been pathetic draft! Couple that with a "C" to "C+" free agency period, and it looks to me like no one knows whats going on.

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Originally posted by JeffGollin
He's a good poker player, but that's about it.

Here's a guy who makes a big show about doing things with discipline, but then trades down too far to be assured he'll get value/address need with the #17th pick.

All you have to do is count from 6 to 17 and count the number of acceptable players on your board. If they don't total 12, you don't do the deal.

Three mistakes were made by Graves in round one:

1. He passed up a superstar at the one position HE targeted as our biggest need.

2. He traded beyond the point where we could guarantee getting a player we wanted.

3. With McDougle off the board, he reached for Pace instead of accepting a momentary defeat and making a value pick at another position - like Faine, Joseph or even McGahey.

It demonstrated to me that, for a guy who supposedly has the credentials, he handled the situation amateurishly - almost as though he felt that, as the new GM, he had to "show Mac and the Bidwills" how clever he could be (and that he was worth his salary), instead of doing the logical thing and simply drafting Suggs.

Yes . . . Yes . . . and Yes!

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Originally posted by Snakester
First let's talk about David Boston, Martay Jenkins and Frank Sanders. Not tagging Boston was the dumbest move in all of sports this year. One of the top five receivers in the league was let go and we got nothing for him. Jenkins was not offered enough money and got mad and left just to spite us. After we had lost those two we didn't make much of an effort to keep Sanders. Now we have a huge whole at WR and so far it looks like we are replacing it with draft picks, which is stupid because it takes at least a couple of years for receivers to make an impact and we didn't get that great of receivers in the draft to begin with.
Passrush. With more money than any other team Graves did not get us a pass rusher in free agency. When it came time for the draft Terrell Suggs was there at #6 and the idiot Graves trades down to get Calvin Pace who will never turn out to be squat and should have been in the second if not third round and a possession receiver that we wouldn't have taken in the first place if he had not let Boston go. This teams greatest weekness has still not been addressed and without a passrush again this year just how many freakin games do you think we are gonna win.
FREE AGENCY We get a running back on his last legs for almost four million dollars a freakin year when nobody else would have givin him half that. And we already had Marcel Shipp, and Thomas Jones to back him up. Don't you think that was a little bit of a reach at best. We let our starting center go and replace him with a guy that is only backup material in Frank Garcia. With all of the impact players that were there in free agency to get we got none. We did get an ok safety and a good fullback with all that money. We let Jake Plummer go and got the great and almighty Jeff (You have got to be kidding) Blake. And we did sign all powerful and knowing Cameron Spikes. So you tell me what Graves has done that is so great huh because I just don't see it.

We get ripped by everyone for TAGGING guyz because all it does is piss the players off and makes them wanna leave MORE! We finally do somthing that should make the player happier with us, and everyone is pissed thats a double standard...

There is no stopping DB from leaving, if he wanted out. If we tagged him he would of left the next year... With all his Off the field problems you have no idea if we could of traded him.

Jenkins is a joke, he is not a good WR, and had an over inflated self immage! The only thing we lose is how good he was as our gunner... But for 3 mill per season? no thx!

Sanders, was OK... But thats all. I wont miss him at all...

It's obviouse you dont know much about the WR's we got, everyone is VERY high on them. If those are the guys that Sully wanted then I am guessing that he knows a thing or two about WR's...

Here you go with your VandenSUCK blurbs, before you even see the guy play... Pace has HUGE upside, he may have been alittle bit of a reach, but he is exactly what Coach Mac wants in his players...

If you dont remember we tried very hard to upgrade our Pass rush in free agentcy! Graves went after every guy we wanted him to and hard... I dont ever remember a year we went after top guys like that!

It is alot easier to sit there and whine and cry about not getting the guys YOU wanted... But it is alot more rewarding to stick by your team and trust what they do... :thumbup:

Wildfire

Registered
Reaction score
RE: After the moves that I have seen so far I have to say Graves knows nothing about his job or football in general and any one on this board could do a better job than him.

We now know who Snakester really is, it's got to be our ex-GM, Bob F., now with the Seahags :) :) :)

He's the only ex-GM that would easily recognize a draft and call it a bad one, wether it was one or not.

:thumbup: :wave: