Rocksmith

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I picked up Rocksmith last week the day it came out. Having worked through it a bit, I can tell you the learning curve is not friendly, but it is still a lot of fun. Much more rewarding than Guitar Hero, which has very limited playability for me.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I am thinking seriously about this one. My only hold up is the song list. I may get it anyway.

OP
OP
Gaddabout

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am thinking seriously about this one. My only hold up is the song list. I may get it anyway.

50 songs spanning about 60 years of rock music. Even the songs I don't like -- I hate the Stones -- are somewhat fun to play.

kps0001

Warriors Come Out And Plaaaay!
Reaction score
I am seriously considering this one. Looks fun. Interesting song list. Guitar Hero on steroids. Pretty intriguing.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm hoping for a black friday deal on this one I think. The reviews have said its great for beginner and intermediate guitarists. I'm not a beginner but I'm terrible, so I'll give it a shot.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Semi-interested in this one, although I think that I have burned myself out of the music game genre. This game should have come out 2 years ago.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want this but I won't spend $80 on any game. I am using my own Guitar (which is cool) but I am not getting anything major. The set list on RB3 was amazing compared to this game. Plus the price is too steep.

The fact that I would probably put some major wear and tear on my own gear, the high price and the limited set list will make me wait until I can pick it up on a black Friday deal or until this hits the bargain bin.

kps0001

Warriors Come Out And Plaaaay!
Reaction score
Amazon is about to have this on a lightning deal. Don't know how much it is but will find out in 5 minutes

$49.99 and they are going quick..

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got this at X-mas. Have not played it yet. Can't wait to try it. However, I noticed that the game doesn't recommend that you play the game using HDMI cables feeding both your video and audio. In fact, they recommend that you change out your cables to older style connections.

I was like what the hell? I have a sweet home theater setup and I use HDMI for my new receiver. I am not about to use another type of connection just for this game. My home theater receiver supplies all the sound and is high end so it can handle anything this game can throw at it.

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
They say to wire it that way to avoid lag. I have mine going through hdmi and have not had any problems. If you do, you can still use your hdmi but they recommend sending audio directly out to your receiver to eliminate the lag. I will say that as someone who enjoys playing guitar, this game is SOO much better than any other music game out there. It does not have the typical career mode of others but its depth in lessons, technique and effects is incredible. Very fun game.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
They say to wire it that way to avoid lag. I have mine going through hdmi and have not had any problems. If you do, you can still use your hdmi but they recommend sending audio directly out to your receiver to eliminate the lag. I will say that as someone who enjoys playing guitar, this game is SOO much better than any other music game out there. It does not have the typical career mode of others but its depth in lessons, technique and effects is incredible. Very fun game.

Exactly which is why their recommendation is confusing. If your using HDMI, feeding audio directly to a receiver this should not be a problem. They didn't really say that. I am assuming they mean if your using HDMI directly to a TV. They should have called that out.

At any rate, can't wait to try it.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
non guitar players learning how to play at a reasonable speed w this game?

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Game is incredible. I hated guitar lessons when I was younger. This makes it fun. Super impressed so far.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this a legit way to learn guitar?

I am curious still also, I sucked trying to learn as a kid but if this game is legit to teach you I will get it right away, have always wanted to plauy acoustic guitar

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I am curious still also, I sucked trying to learn as a kid but if this game is legit to teach you I will get it right away, have always wanted to plauy acoustic guitar

Yeah, never had the patience or a teacher, plus games make learning anything better. Would like to give it a shot.

Anyone use an acoustic electric for this? That's what I'd really like.

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Chris, you can use any guitar that has a standard input jack. An accoustic/electric will work just fine.

I grew up with guitars as my dad always played and thus I learned the basics really early on in my life and have been playing ever since...That said I never had much 'formal' training but I do play rhythm for our church band and have no problems learning to play a piece. That being my perspective, here's what I can tell you; In regards to a learning tool, I think it would be a great if you devote a little time outside the game as well. There are some great mini games to learn chords and scales but as playing guitar requires a fair amount of memorization to form chords and since the game will always show you how to form a chord or what notes to hit on a scale you will need to practice those offline as well to commit them to memory. Otherwise it's just like Guitar Hero with more buttons. If you take what you are learning in the game and practice outside the game, I think it will be excellent and will make learning LOADS of fun. The 'techniques section' is really excellent at training how to do different effects...definitely good to spend time in their if you are learning. That's not to say that you couldn't just play the game and learn these things but it would require a lot of discipline to play each minigame without just mindlessly duplicating the onscreen mappings.

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Chris, you can use any guitar that has a standard input jack. An accoustic/electric will work just fine.

I grew up with guitars as my dad always played and thus I learned the basics really early on in my life and have been playing ever since...That said I never had much 'formal' training but I do play rhythm for our church band and have no problems learning to play a piece. That being my perspective, here's what I can tell you; In regards to a learning tool, I think it would be a great if you devote a little time outside the game as well. There are some great mini games to learn chords and scales but as playing guitar requires a fair amount of memorization to form chords and since the game will always show you how to form a chord or what notes to hit on a scale you will need to practice those offline as well to commit them to memory. Otherwise it's just like Guitar Hero with more buttons. If you take what you are learning in the game and practice outside the game, I think it will be excellent and will make learning LOADS of fun. That's not to say that you couldn't just play the game and learn these things but it would require a lot of discipline to play each minigame without just mindlessly duplicating the onscreen mappings.

Thanks for that. I'm fairly musical, and think the game would be a good jumping off point for learning the basics. I'd still like to learn how to pick and play actual songs, not just a guitar portion of a song, but I'm guessing that may be another game down the road. This sounds like at least a good way to get my feet wet.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been playing recently after not playing the electric guitar a whole lot in the past couple months (not coincidentally, I'm still terrible). What I don't understand is how Ubisoft could make such a great, polished game/tool, but then completely screw it up with an unforgivably awful series of menus. After picking a song to play, the user has to choose from a couple of options like rehearse, perform, or riff repeater. That's great, except that "rehearse" and "perform" are exactly identical, except during "perform" the game sticks some fake fans in the background. "Rehearse" doesn't give the user the option to select the speed or the difficulty of the song like anybody with a shred of logic would expect.

That would be fine too, if the "Riff Repeater" lived up to it's name. The riff repeater should be the bread and butter of the game as far as practicing goes, but the same boneheaded menu decisions get in the way here as well. It allows the user to either slow down the song, or lower the difficulty (which is good), but not to set both at once. And what happens when the user plays the song right just once? Most people would expect it to either continue on with the next section of the song, or go back to the beginning of the section (you know, in other words repeat). Of course not, it immediately says "Good job!" and kicks you back to the maddeningly long load menu. So there's no way to learn how to play it right more than once in a row, it assumes that once you get it once you've got it forever. There's no way to change the speed or difficulty here for the entire song either, just one snippet of your choosing.

The infuriating menu system is by far the biggest complaint that folks have with the game, what amazes me is that it's six months later and Ubisoft hasn't addressed any of this (they did release a patch a while ago which made the menus slightly more tolerable, but clearly not enough). How hard could it possibly be to change the riff repeater to allow players to play the whole song at a speed/difficulty of their choosing, and then actually repeat as desired? That simple change alone seems like it would erase away the majority of the gripes that people have with the game.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Well, I bought a Sony blu ray surround sound system that I hook my xbox in through HDMI and now I have a huge delay. It is unplayable. Any suggestions that don't include not hooking up my xbox through my home theater?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I bought a Sony blu ray surround sound system that I hook my xbox in through HDMI and now I have a huge delay. It is unplayable. Any suggestions that don't include not hooking up my xbox through my home theater?

Can you adjust the delay through your receiver? Most receivers have this functionality...

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
google it, I dont remember what I did for rockband to fix it but you can.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
google it, I dont remember what I did for rockband to fix it but you can.

RB has a delay that you can adjust within the game itself. Sounds like Rocksmith doesn't.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard