Robert Sarver is in Big Trouble (ANNOUNCES SALE PROCESS)

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know if I'm more disgusted by the statement the Suns organization released or the NBA failing to actually remove him. It's a toss up but I'm leaning towards the NBA because they've set a precedent now that as long as you're an immature buffoon you can say and do whatever you want without being held accountable. Who knew having a sophomoric sense of humor absolves someone from being a sexist bigot.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m going to do something completely pointless and follow in my father’s once roundly mocked footsteps.

I’m going to write a letter. A letter to the Suns telling them they’ve lost a fan of 34 years and one they will never get back until they rid themselves of the cancerous, racist and sexist owner they’ve all covered for for decades and continue to do so.

Shame on EVERYONE involved at this point.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Have we heard from the rest of Suns ownership? I think not.

IMO, it's up to the minority owners to decide this matter. I'm mildly optimistic that Sarver could be replaced.
I wonder how the corporate structure is set up and what type of power the other owners actually have. Sometimes moves like this are not as easy as it seems.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Also, I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread, but in other reporting on the NBA decision, it has been stated that Sarver gets to choose who will be acting in his stead as head of the team during his one year suspension.

So I am guessing what, his wife or one of his kids? His personal attorney? One of his old frat brothers? The fact is, he will still be running the team through whatever surrogate he gets to choose. And my guess is that "staying away" from team functions will just mean he has to sit up in one of the luxury suites at the game instead of down near the court.

I really hope the NBA gets crapped all over by the media for this weak ass stuff.
He will never be able to run the team effectively again. That is just the fact. Even if most of this stuff was in the distant past ( not saying it was) or only impacted a few in the organization, it is now known by all, everywhere he goes. It is now impossible for him to run the team. The other owners HAVE to oust him if they can. He damages their investment massively.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
He will never be able to run the team effectively again. That is just the fact. Even if most of this stuff was in the distant past ( not saying it was) or only impacted a few in the organization, it is now known by all, everywhere he goes. It is now impossible for him to run the team. The other owners HAVE to oust him if they can. He damages their investment massively.

I'm having trouble figuring out what the pros are of the management group letting him stay on as an owner. What are the advantages?

Jahm Najafi is the guy who has the 2nd most invested in the club outside of Sarver, and he's actually a billionaire vs. Sarver the millionaire. I'd love to see him step up, and for all intents and purposes, early last season it looked like he was positioning himself to do just that. You don't bring Kapernick as a guest to a game if you want to be low-profile. Najafi by himself could buy out Sarver and Sarver would be pretty comfortable for the rest of his life.

Again, that's why I have a gut feeling that this isn't over. It just doesn't make any sense to me why they would sweep this under the rug--it's certainly not about money -- the sponsorships they currently have are in serious danger of just cutting ties. I'm hoping that ridiculous "statement" from the management group is just a quick reaction to the news and we'll see something more substantial in the coming weeks.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the end of the day, the official statement from Suns Legacy Partners, LLC, left me pessimistic there would be a change in ownership at the top.

It sounded like they were comfortable with the changes that had been made and the direction of the organization.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The NBA has set a very high standard to remove owners.

Like players that run afoul of the rules, suspension and fines, appear to be the primary punishment.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
So my guess is that Sarver is being saved by the fact that other owners and other partners are just as bad. That likely saved his ass because others are afraid to do anything because if they do, he will expose the rest. At that point it becomes a huge issue since one person was removed/ fired for doing the same thing others are doing. That's the only logical explanation I can come up with. I cannot think of another possible explanation as to why there isn't more punishment.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So my guess is that Sarver is being saved by the fact that other owners and other partners are just as bad. That likely saved his ass because others are afraid to do anything because if they do, he will expose the rest. At that point it becomes a huge issue since one person was removed/ fired for doing the same thing others are doing. That's the only logical explanation I can come up with. I cannot think of another possible explanation as to why there isn't more punishment.
This is my suspicion as well. I think other owners fear litigation and that means discovery in court where all of their bad own behavior might come to light.

There’s a reason the NFL settled both Kaepernick and Gruden lawsuits quick and painless.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah. In this league, had his poor behavior extended equally to "racism", he'd have been forced out already. But they aren't going to remove him for using the N word in the manner he did. However, IMO, they had more than enough ammunition to remove him for his treatment of women along with the toxic work environment and creating/allowing a joke of an HR Department. But like you said, that's basically business as usual for many owners in the NBA (and across the private sector).

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
After all this, I'm wondering if we should wait for the next valuation before making an offer.
Praying Arte Moreno buys Diamondbacks, Suns and Cardinals after selling Angels. Not going to happen but man would that be something.

Of course Angels fans are hoping Moreno goes as the franchise has been in disarray for years with claims Moreno has been meddling with team affairs too much.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Praying Arte Moreno buys Diamondbacks, Suns and Cardinals after selling Angels. Not going to happen but man would that be something.

Of course Angels fans are hoping Moreno goes as the franchise has been in disarray for years with claims Moreno has been meddling with team affairs too much.
I could do without the "meddling" but a meddling billionaire beats the hell out of a meddling, misogynistic, clueless almost-billionaire.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could do without the "meddling" but a meddling billionaire beats the hell out of a meddling, misogynistic, clueless almost-billionaire.
I think it’s safe to say at this point he’s a racist also. If you have been told NUMEROUS times not to use the N-word since 2004 and in 2018, you are STILL complaining about why you can’t use the N-word, you’re a racist. If you tell a Black person “No, no, no. I hate diversity.” You’re a racist.

Is he a racist with a capital KKK? No. But he’s a racist.

When people show you who they are, believe them.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the end of the day, the official statement from Suns Legacy Partners, LLC, left me pessimistic there would be a change in ownership at the top.

It sounded like they were comfortable with the changes that had been made and the direction of the organization.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Wow. Just wow. So, the minority owners just whiffed. I mean why not? He has made them a ton of money and that's what this is all about for them. Now it appears it's all up to the players and sponsors to do what is right.

Sarver is a POC.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I was 15 years old when the Suns came to town. From Johnny "Red" Kerr as first head coach, Dick Van Arsdale and Gail Goodrich picked up in the expansion draft and Gary Gregor their very first draft pick, I've seen it all. It would take way too long and make this post way too long to list all of the highs and lows through the years. Losing the coin toss for Lew Alcindor who became Kareem Abdul Jabbar, the 1976 finals and the triple overtime best basketball game I ever saw, the drug scandal, the death of Nick Vanos, KJ, Chambers, Majerle, Barkley, Nash, on and on. My favorite Sun of all time is Connie Hawkins, loved The Hawk.

All of that to say that a part of the 15 year old boy that still remains in me, that blead purple and orange is so crushed at this entire sordid Sarver era. It has been an ish show for a long, long time. He has been an embarrassment from the get go and now is the face of racism, misogyny and disgusting behavior in so many ways. My interest in the Suns and the NBA as a whole has waned the past decade or so, I just can't hardly watch it any more. And, I won't be watching it as long as Sarver is involved in the league in any manner, as I stated in a previous post.

I ask your indulgence for my selfish rant, I just had to express it somewhere. My mind goes back to the Madhouse on McDowell, on the night my boss took me to the game and it was Nick Vanos' last home game he ever played. It goes back seeing The Hawk soaring and scoring against the likes of Wilt Chamberlain. I see The Flying Dutchman begin and end as a Sun. I see Kevin Johnson driving to the hoop with reckless abandon. I see so many treasured memories of watching the Suns with my Dad and younger brother and then, later, my sons.

All of that has become a steaming pile because of a racist, misogynistic, boorish idiot. What a shame.

Last edited:

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I didn't write a letter, but I cancelled my NBA league pass subscription today. I wrote (other reason, please specify) that as an NBA and Phoenix Suns fan for 30 years, I won't watch the NBA until he's been kicked out of the league, and it was disgraceful how they handled the situation with the symbolic fine and one year suspension, knowing that this has been going on for 20 years. So I voted with my money. That's one of the best ways of getting a point across to these big companies.

S A R V E R
E
L
L

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. Just wow. So, the minority owners just whiffed. I mean why not? He has made them a ton of money and that's what this is all about for them. Now it appears it's all up to the players and sponsors to do what is right.

Sarver is a POC.
Man, the players, the majority of whom are Black, shouldn’t have to be in the position of fighting their Rich, White, Racist/mysoginistic boss. I won’t blame ANY of them for not wanting to make a stand.

At some point freaking WHITE PEOPLE HAVE TO HOLD THEIR OWN ACCOUNTABLE. It’s encumbent on US as fans to stop buying their product en masse. To shun the entity we believe have failed us. To fight FOR the players because they shouldn’t have to.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, the players, the majority of whom are Black, shouldn’t have to be in the position of fighting their Rich, White, Racist/mysoginistic boss. I won’t blame ANY of them for not wanting to make a stand.

At some point freaking WHITE PEOPLE HAVE TO HOLD THEIR OWN ACCOUNTABLE. It’s encumbent on US as fans to stop buying their product en masse. To shun the entity we believe have failed us. To fight FOR the players because they shouldn’t have to.
Oh...I didn't say they should have to. I am saying now it's the only recourse aside from sponsorship. So, it's not just about skipping games and gear. Any sponsors that support the Suns should get a message at the very least on their Twitter accounts you won't support their products either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard