Robert Alford

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Being able to get this guy to finally solidify the second corner position might be more important than signing a guy like Mosely, because I'm thinking a good corner is more difficult to find in the draft

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
For that kind of money he better be good. Lots of experience for sure and Vance Joseph’s strong suit is supposed to be defensive backs. I have to believe Vance must have been beating the table for Alford. For him to get signed this quickly looks like somebody really liked and wanted him.

Last edited:

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
appears to be a cap casualty in ATL vs performance

he was due $9mm next year, and by cutting him, ATL increases available cap to $22mm

also: drafted Isiah Oliver at CB in the 2nd round last year

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think reality is players are going to get overpaid. There aren’t a ton of quality Free Agents and most teams have a decent amount of cap space.
If you're the Cardinals, the logical way to play the waivers game is to claim as many as possible and ride the percentages in the hope you'll get lucky with at least a few.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
If you're the Cardinals, the logical way to play the waivers game is to claim as many as possible and ride the percentages in the hope you'll get lucky with at least a few.

The good thing about waivers is their price is already set. The bad thing is that it is rare that really quality players get waived.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Like it or not, the Cards are not wasting any time in trying to improve the roster. Id rather a deal like this than waiting for a street free agent in August to fill the #2 CB role. Hopefully this is an indicator of how aggressive they will be when free agency starts.

NittanyCard

Veteran
Reaction score
He was a #2 in Atlanta & he still sucked.

Watch ball.
This is comical.

He’s legit, period. Even falcons fans were saying he was playing above Trufant when he took over the #1 when he was injured.

Great signing. And us jumping on him a 2 days after being a cap casualty reinforces I’m not the only one that saw his ball skills

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This is comical.

He’s legit, period. Even falcons fans were saying he was playing above Trufant when he took over the #1 when he was injured.

Great signing. And us jumping on him a 2 days after being a cap casualty reinforces I’m not the only one that saw his ball skills

PFF rated him the 108th best corner and he had 0 INTs while starting 15 games. “Ball hawking” numbers :sarcasm:. On a defense that was injured and bad, he was constantly picked on in the games I’ve seen. I see the same happening when he’s here with PP21 on the other side. I’d rather gone after Bradley Roby who is younger and played a lot of man and under Vance Joseph in DEN.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I do think this signing does set a tone for the offseason, it shows they will try to address needs early and won’t be afraid to spend market value to do it.

Alford is an OK signing I guess, veteran CB with some past success and very athletic but some of his associated numbers aren’t good particularly numbers of completions against and numbers of penalties. The penalties thing is a worry because you can’t blame it on inexperience, he is 30 yrs old.

NittanyCard

Veteran
Reaction score
PFF rated him the 108th best corner and he had 0 INTs while starting 15 games. “Ball hawking” numbers :sarcasm:. On a defense that was injured and bad, he was constantly picked on in the games I’ve seen. I see the same happening when he’s here with PP21 on the other side. I’d rather gone after Bradley Roby who is younger and played a lot of man and under Vance Joseph in DEN.
I’d rather have Roby as well.

But Alford is coming in with a lot lower salary with incentives to play hard to make avg 8m a year.

Can’t complain. I’ve seen him play multiple times I like him our front office likes him and like the signing.

Time will tell.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave