what concern me now is we have a secondary with below average height
ok peterson is fine at 6'0
but then
budda swearinger alford are barely 5'10

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I’d rather have Roby as well.

But Alford is coming in with a lot lower salary with incentives to play hard to make avg 8m a year.

Can’t complain. I’ve seen him play multiple times I like him our front office likes him and like the signing.

Time will tell.

2-3 years ago I thought he was a solid player, now he’s on the backside of his prime and played terribly last year. He won’t earn the full $8m/per so until the numbers are released, I will remain a skeptic.

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
PFF rated him the 108th best corner and he had 0 INTs while starting 15 games. “Ball hawking” numbers :sarcasm:. On a defense that was injured and bad, he was constantly picked on in the games I’ve seen. I see the same happening when he’s here with PP21 on the other side. I’d rather gone after Bradley Roby who is younger and played a lot of man and under Vance Joseph in DEN.
Bradley Roby was rated 97th by PFF & had 1 int. Also don't Falcons play a lot of zone? My understanding is that Alford is better @ man coverage

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Bradley Roby was rated 97th by PFF & had 1 int. Also don't Falcons play a lot of zone? My understanding is that Alford is better @ man coverage

He’s also 3 years younger and played on the outside last year for the first time in his career. I’m not saying Roby is our missing link, I’m just saying I’d rather have him. I saw them play a lot of man coverage in years past, but maybe with all the injuries this year they shifted to more zone this season.

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He’s also 3 years younger and played on the outside last year for the first time in his career. I’m not saying Roby is our missing link, I’m just saying I’d rather have him. I saw them play a lot of man coverage in years past, but maybe with all the injuries this year they shifted to more zone this season.
I'm with you. Only problem is any young upcoming CB on market, going to need brass balls to play across from PP. Its quickest way to damage your rep & earning potential down the line. In rare cases it can make u cash in like Cooper.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The fact that they signed him over trying to get Roby should indicate how Joseph feels about the latter. I also remember hearing that Alford was injured most of last season and played through it. I don't know enough about either to say if they are good enough to handle cb2 , but he has to be better than what we have had.

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The fact that they signed him over trying to get Roby should indicate how Joseph feels about the latter. I also remember hearing that Alford was injured most of last season and played through it. I don't know enough about either to say if they are good enough to handle cb2 , but he has to be better than what we have had.
Completely forgot Cards hired nearly the entire Broncos CB staff from last season

The Kraken

Veteran
Reaction score
Great point about the prior Denver staff...and there is nothing saying we will not go after Roby as well (if Coach Joseph does hold him in high regard) someone has to play the slot in the Nickel.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Being able to get this guy to finally solidify the second corner position might be more important than signing a guy like Mosely, because I'm thinking a good corner is more difficult to find in the draft
Hopefully Vance Joseph can correct whatever was causing him getting so many penalties? From what I read on him, he had a very good yr in 2017 but took a step back in 2018 mainly due to a high ankle sprain. They made the super bowl against the patriots a few yrs back so he must've been doing something right? Hoping he has continued success in Arizona. On paper he looks like a better #2 corner option than we've had in a long time. Keep the talent coming in Steve keim

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is comical.

He’s legit, period. Even falcons fans were saying he was playing above Trufant when he took over the #1 when he was injured.

Great signing. And us jumping on him a 2 days after being a cap casualty reinforces I’m not the only one that saw his ball skills

Some good points. I also heard on a sports talk show that he is really good and had a high ankle sprain that he still played through and is a really tough SOB.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I’m really enjoying the fact that the Cards get first dibs on waiver claims.

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
One thing people need to remember is the Falcons got a non-existent pass rush except when playing the Cards. A Bosa - Jones pass rush is probably the stuff of wet dreams & legend's for a guy like Alford

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the move if Alford can be the starting cornerback opposite Patrick Peterson.

It takes some pressure off.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Roby also had a really good pass rush last year and was still one of the worst corners in the league.

Alford has multiple really good seasons. I think I'll take the guy who has been really good over the guy who was a #3 corner most of his career and sucked donkey balls when he finally had to step up.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I realize that waivers didn't play a part in this signing, but I do like that we are first in line, when they are a factor. Now, for the draft, my hope is that we stay put at #1, but then (Day two) field offers for the #1 pick in the second round. There should be a number of teams looking for "that guy" who fell through the cracks in the first round. Could probably do the same in round four (Day three). JMO.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I hope they aren’t done looking in case Alford can’t rebound next year. I’d still look for another CB or two in draft.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson