RIP: Robin Williams (1951-2014)

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I always hated his standup. Too frantic and uncontrolled for my tastes. Loved his acting, especially his serious stuff. Dead Poets Society was a landmark moment for me to realise his genius.

Cosby
Pryor
Murphy
S. Wright

That's my Rushmore

Chappelle, Rock, Tosh, Ellen, Ray Romano, Jeselnick & Lewis Black are up there for me also.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always hated his standup. Too frantic and uncontrolled for my tastes. Loved his acting, especially his serious stuff. Dead Poets Society was a landmark moment for me to realise his genius.

His standup was brilliant. Went to see him twice and it was amazing how he could interact with the audience and go off on a rant about that subject. I thought his standup demonstrated how much faster his brain worked versus the average person. He seemed to always be 10 steps ahead. If the guy was a military general he would be considered a brilliant strategist. LOL.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His standup was brilliant. Went to see him twice and it was amazing how he could interact with the audience and go off on a rant about that subject. I thought his standup demonstrated how much faster his brain worked versus the average person. He seemed to always be 10 steps ahead.

cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Robin Williams’s final film performance may have to be axed

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...nal-film-performance-may-have-to-be-axed.html

Absolutely Anything has been described as Robin Williams’s final film – a sci fi comedy with members of the Monty Python team – but even though his name appears prominently on the posters, his contribution to it may yet have to be excised.

Mandrake hears that his performance – he provided the voice of Dennis the Dog – was uncompleted, and now the makers of the film, which is still officially said to be in “post-production”, face the depressing prospect of having to find another actor to record the role from start to finish.

Simon Pegg, its star, tells me: “I’m not sure Robin had completed doing his voice in the movie. He was doing the voice of my dog and I hope that he had completed it because it would be a real shame not to have him in it. And of course there will be a degree of sadness there, but the work he did do would have been done with his usual verve and brilliance.”

Lionsgate UK, the British distributors of the film, declined to comment when I asked them to clarify if Williams’s contribution to Absolutely Anything would be included in the final cut.

The film, directed by Terry Jones, tells the story of a teacher – played by Pegg – who experiences a series of mishaps after discovering he has magical powers. The five Pythons (including Jones, who also wrote it) play extraterrestrials.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
cocaine is a hell of a drug.

I am sure it is but he was the king of improvisation. I am not sure Cocaine does that for you or we might just put all of our military strategist on the powder. :)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...nal-film-performance-may-have-to-be-axed.html

Absolutely Anything has been described as Robin Williams’s final film – a sci fi comedy with members of the Monty Python team – but even though his name appears prominently on the posters, his contribution to it may yet have to be excised.

Mandrake hears that his performance – he provided the voice of Dennis the Dog – was uncompleted, and now the makers of the film, which is still officially said to be in “post-production”, face the depressing prospect of having to find another actor to record the role from start to finish.

Simon Pegg, its star, tells me: “I’m not sure Robin had completed doing his voice in the movie. He was doing the voice of my dog and I hope that he had completed it because it would be a real shame not to have him in it. And of course there will be a degree of sadness there, but the work he did do would have been done with his usual verve and brilliance.”

Lionsgate UK, the British distributors of the film, declined to comment when I asked them to clarify if Williams’s contribution to Absolutely Anything would be included in the final cut.

The film, directed by Terry Jones, tells the story of a teacher – played by Pegg – who experiences a series of mishaps after discovering he has magical powers. The five Pythons (including Jones, who also wrote it) play extraterrestrials.

Wow...that would suck if he didn't finish. I hope he did. If it's only partial, I am sure they could get someone to finish the job. There are people who can do impressions (see Aladdin cartoon) to finish his work even if it was only partial.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Just for more input, here is Comedy Central's rankings of the top 100 stand up comedians:

http://www.listology.com/list/comedy-central-100-greatest-standups-all-time

Good list. The more of that list I read, the harder it becomes. It is like music for me. There are some really funny people on that list. Some may not have been consistently funny, but I know a few down at the bottom that have laughed at pretty hard.

I always find the rage based comics funny, like Bill Hicks, Dennis Leary, Lewis Black, and one of my favorites Don Rickles.

Then there are the ones that are more entertaining than funny, like George Carlin (whom is my #1 entertainer, maybe in my top 5 stand up), Bill Hicks (again), and Mitch Hedberg.

I have some more recent stand up comics that I like, but my father introduced me to hysterical older "black and white" comics.

Some of the guys on Sid Caesar's shows are awesome.

My favorite has to be Eddie Murphy, I still laugh at his jokes, and I haven't listened to his stand up in 10 years.

"Edddiiieeeeeeeeeeeeee, what have you done for my lately ?"

Dave Chapelle may be 2nd, but it would be between him and Lewis Black. FYI, best part of a Lewis Black routine is he usually makes fun of the town he is in, mattering on where the show is that night. His bit about Atlanta and the traffic there, may be my favorite bit.

....you see this is where it is just too hard, cause then there is Rodney Dangerfield whom is more old school, mixed with new school, and regardless, he ALWAYS makes me laugh. Rodney may be the master of the "day later", meaning he tells a joke, and the next day it pops in your head, and you are awkwardly laughing your butt off.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am sure it is but he was the king of improvisation. I am not sure Cocaine does that for you or we might just put all of our military strategist on the powder. :)

"I thought his standup demonstrated how much faster his brain worked versus the average person" - cocaine.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
"I thought his standup demonstrated how much faster his brain worked versus the average person" - cocaine.

That might explain some of his "all over the place" jumping around but I know a few people who are always 10 steps ahead of other people and they don't do coke.

Besides he was sober when I had seen him live and I believe he was sober during the Actors Guild and some other performances I had seen him in. If I am not mistaken he was mostly on coke during his early years.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

That would be a shame, because I love the crazy premise of this movie with the Pythons (all of them!) playing aliens.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just an awful, awful thing. It's like a beloved uncle has died.

While I enjoyed the comedy, I was much more enthralled with his acting, particularly in Good Will Hunting (incredible performances by the entire cast). Patch Adams was a hoot and a good film, but he played a most excellent creep in One Hour Photo.

Truly one of a kind, and his death is a great loss to one and all.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That might explain some of his "all over the place" jumping around but I know a few people who are always 10 steps ahead of other people and they don't do coke.

Besides he was sober when I had seen him live and I believe he was sober during the Actors Guild and some other performances I had seen him in. If I am not mistaken he was mostly on coke during his early years.

how do you have any idea that he was sober during those performances? he was in and out of rehab, battling addiction his entire life.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just an awful, awful thing. It's like a beloved uncle has died.

While I enjoyed the comedy, I was much more enthralled with his acting, particularly in Good Will Hunting (incredible performances by the entire cast). Patch Adams was a hoot and a good film, but he played a most excellent creep in One Hour Photo.

Truly one of a kind, and his death is a great loss to one and all.

I never truly thought about how many movies he was in until he died. Damn, he had a lot of great roles, funny mostly, but not all.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
how do you have any idea that he was sober during those performances? he was in and out of rehab, battling addiction his entire life.

You can't know for certain but he was pretty open about his addiction problems and usage of cocaine. He said he had issues with alcohol since but never cocaine. He said he knew it would kill him so he quite many many years ago. His wife also confirmed at the time of his death his sobriety was intact. I just looked it up. His alleged last cocaine usage was in 1983 but quite before the birth of his son. He was sober for 20 years after that before delving intro drinking again in 2003.

So, yes he was an addict all this time but it's not true he was in and out of rehab for drug use all the time. He did mention that he checked himself in on occasion when he felt the urges coming back. Just like this last stint according to his wife.

I guess the toxicology report will reveal more but the one thing I admired about him is he never avoided questions about this addiction and to what.

Last edited:

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never truly thought about how many movies he was in until he died. Damn, he had a lot of great roles, funny mostly, but not all.

Indeed!!!

1980 - "Popeye"

1982 - "The World According to Garp"

1983 - "The Survivors"

1984 - "Moscow on the Hudson" (Golden Globe nomination for best actor)

1986 - "Seize the Day," "Club Paradise," "The Best of Times"

1987 - "Good Morning Vietnam" (Golden Globe Award for best actor, nominated for Oscar)

1988 - "The Adventures of Baron Munchausen," "Portrait of a White Marriage," "Rabbit Ears: Pecos Bill" (narrator)

1989 - "Dead Poets Society" (Golden Globe Award for best actor), "I'm From Hollywood"

1990 - "Cadillac Man," "Awakenings" (nominated Golden Globe Award for best actor)

1991 - "Dead Again," "The Fisher King" (Golden Globe Award for best actor, nominated for Oscar), "Hook," "Shakes the Clown," "Rabbit Ears: The Fool and the Flying Ship" (voice)

1992 - "Toys," "Aladdin" (voice, special Golden Globe Award), "The Timekeeper" (voice), "FernGully" (voice)

1993 - "Mrs. Doubtfire" (Golden Globe Award for best actor)

1994 - "Being Human," "In Search of Dr. Seuss"

1995 - "Jumanji," "To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar" (uncredited), "Nine Months"

1996 - "Aladdin and the King of Thieves" (voice), "Hamlet," "The Secret Agent," "Jack," "The Birdcage"

1997 - "Good Will Hunting" (Academy Award for best supporting actor, nominated for Golden Globe), "Flubber," "Deconstructing Harry," "Father's Day"

1998 - "Patch Adams" (Golden Globe nomination for best actor), "Junket *****," "What Dreams May Come"

1999 - "Bicentennial Man," "Jakob the Liar," "Get Bruce"

2000 - "Model Behavior"

2001 - "A.I. Artificial Intelligence" (voice)

2002 - "The Rutles 2: Can't Buy Me Lunch," "Insomnia," "Death to Smoochy," "One Hour Photo"

2004 - "Noel" (uncredited), "House of D," "The Final Cut"

2005 - "The Big White," "Robots" (voice), "The Aristocrats"

2006 - "Man of the Year," "Night at the Museum," "Happy Feet" (voice)

2007 - "License to Wed," "August Rush"

2009 - "Shrink," "World's Greatest Dad," "Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian," "Old Dogs"

2011- "Happy Feet Two," "Stage Left: A Story of Theater in the Bay Area"

2013 - "The Big Wedding," "The Face of Love," "The Butler"

2014 - "The Angriest Man in Brooklyn," "Boulevard," "Absolutely Anything" (voice), "Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb" (in postproduction), "Merry Friggin' Christmas" (in postproduction)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can't know for certain but he was pretty open about his addiction problems and usage of cocaine. He said he had issues with alcohol since but never cocaine. He said he knew it would kill him so he quite many many years ago. His wife also confirmed at the time of his death his sobriety was intact. I just looked it up. His alleged last cocaine usage was in 1983 but quite before the birth of his son. He was sober for 20 years after that before delving intro drinking again in 2003.

I'm not making an argument he was high when he died, but I wouldn't believe everything you read about someone being "sober" for 20 years. Apparently Phillip Seymour Hoffman was "sober" too for a long time... right before he OD'd on heroin.

So, yes he was an addict all this time but it's not true he was in and out of rehab for drug use all the time.

Actually, he was, having said he went back mutliple times. Sure he said it was because he "felt the urges", but I'll be honest... I don't really buy that. And sure, he admitted drinking again (and went to rehab again), but it's easy and acceptable to say he went back to rehab for drinking... no one (especially the public and more important the studios) wants to hear he was on coke again.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not making an argument he was high when he died, but I wouldn't believe everything you read about someone being "sober" for 20 years. Apparently Phillip Seymour Hoffman was "sober" too for a long time... right before he OD'd on heroin.

Actually, he was, having said he went back mutliple times. Sure he said it was because he "felt the urges", but I'll be honest... I don't really buy that. And sure, he admitted drinking again (and went to rehab again), but it's easy and acceptable to say he went back to rehab for drinking... no one (especially the public and more important the studios) wants to hear he was on coke again.

No doubt some good points but most addicts are not that open about their condition. Also, many of his friends and family have corroborated his periods of sobriety. We will know more when the toxicology report is released but I would be shocked if he had Coke in his system. I bet we will see he had other medications related to his depression or Parkinsons.

By the way, now they are reporting that just hours before his death, he was on the phone making plans regarding some business deals. Sounds like his suicide wasn't premeditated. Sounds more and more like some "chemicals" kicked in and sent him into a spiral. That would be bad for someone suffering from bi-polar disorder and depression.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sarah Silverman deserves to be on this list.

Well, there have been way more than 100 funny comics in history. It's impossible to not leave off really funny comics.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sarah Silverman deserves to be on this list.

man... I don't see it. I've seen her twice now (once last weekend) and I don't think she's funny in the least. She's hot and dirty... but that's about it.

and she's becoming wayyyyyy too poilitical for my taste. or I've just heard her tell the same unfunny political joke too many times in the last six months.

either way, I don't get the appeal, comedically speaking.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
man... I don't see it. I've seen her twice now (once last weekend) and I don't think she's funny in the least. She's hot and dirty... but that's about it.

and she's becoming wayyyyyy too poilitical for my taste. or I've just heard her tell the same unfunny political joke too many times in the last six months.

I don't think Foxworthy should be on this list either. He had this short time that he was popular and that's it.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

+1

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now we know. Just as Robin's wife and Robin himself indicated he was still sober and clean. Coroner report said no illegal drugs were found in his system. However, it also confirmed he had been taking prescriptions in "therapeutic concentrations". So, he was suffering from clinical depression and Parkinsons but the new tidbit was the Paranoia. His wife mentioned that the evening before he died, Williams took several wristwatches and put them into a sock and took them to someone's house for safekeeping.

Update: Also add Lewy Body Dementia. It has similar symptoms of Alzheimer's and Parkinson's. The disease can cause hallucinations. So can the medication he was on. I can't imaging what all this was doing to his mind and body. There is no doubts now that this man was not in his right mind.

I happy to hear that illegal drugs didn't play a role in his death or that he was abusing prescriptions. Truly a huge blow to his family, friends and fans all over the world. Robin Williams will be dearly missed.

R.I.P.

Last edited:

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
Saw Mrs. Doubtfire couple of nights ago. I didn't know the movie was based off a book.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now we know. Just as Robin's wife and Robin himself indicated he was still sober and clean. Coroner report said no illegal drugs were found in his system. However, it also confirmed he had been taking prescriptions in "therapeutic concentrations". So, he was suffering from clinical depression and Parkinsons but the new tidbit was the Paranoia. His wife mentioned that the evening before he died, Williams took several wristwatches and put them into a sock and took them to someone's house for safekeeping.

Update: Also add Lewy Body Dementia. It has similar symptoms of Alzheimer's and Parkinson's. The disease can cause hallucinations. So can the medication he was on. I can't imaging what all this was doing to his mind and body. There is no doubts now that this man was not in his right mind.

I happy to hear that illegal drugs didn't play a role in his death or that he was abusing prescriptions. Truly a huge blow to his family, friends and fans all over the world. Robin Williams will be dearly missed.

R.I.P.
I came across this today.

This is so sad: "Experts were stunned by how much the disease had ravaged his brain. One doctor said, 'This was about as devastating a form of Lewy body dementia as I had ever seen. It really amazed me that Robin could walk or move at all."

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard