Richaun Holmes arrested in Miami for pot

justAndy

Jolly Nihilist
Reaction score
Maybe the dealer didn't offer delivery. But, smart people tote the dank in an airtight container for transport. In the trunk. Or locked in the camper shell. Some guy told me....

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
other than being illegal in Florida, no big deal. I wish it was legal, and no judgement on anyone that uses it - no different than alcohol, etc. But when you are in line for a big payday, be a little smarter...
There is a difference between smoking and drinking when you are in a car. Second hand smoke means everyone is partaking, even the driver—unless you are taking specific precautions to avoid it.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is a difference between smoking and drinking when you are in a car. Second hand smoke means everyone is partaking, even the driver—unless you are taking specific precautions to avoid it.

No one said he was smoking in the car. If that is what happened then he's really dumb but it's not known at this time.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No one said he was smoking in the car. If that is what happened then he's really dumb but it's not known at this time.

The linked article above says the officer noticed smoke.

An officer noticed smoke that smelled like burnt marijuana, and after the passengers exited the vehicle, the police found a joint of an estimated 3 grams “smoldering in a cupholder” next to Holmes and Webb

I suspect this language is familiar in cases where marijuana is suspected.

http://arizonasports.com/story/1948476/suns-free-agent-center-richaun-holmes-arrested-in-miami/

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If you're talking about second hand pot smoke, then, for the most part, no, everyone isn't partaking. You have to deal with the stench obviously and smoke in general is bad for human beings (plus there's reason to believe that smoke from marijuana might be even worse for you then cigarette smoke) but you don't get high off of second hand marijuana use except in extreme situations. We're talking about the kind of situation you would most likely never come across unless you were actually trying to get high. Granted, an automobile with windows closed and no vents open is one of the easier ways to get an actual contact high but even then it's not likely unless multiple smokers are involved.

Excerpt from Weedmaps: Researchers concluded that being exposed to marijuana smoke under “extreme conditions” can indeed give non-smokers a contact buzz. Outside of that very limited scope, though, any secondhand effects you might feel around cannabis smoke are likely to be the result of the power of suggestion. You can’t get high from catching a whiff of someone’s joint while walking down the street, but you will feel some effects if you are sitting in an unventilated enclosure filled with smoke, also known as hotboxing.

From usdrugtestcenters.com" Is it possible to fail a drug test due to second-hand smoke exposure? Yes. Does that mean it’s likely or probable? Not at all. Research has found that even when you place smokers and non-smokers together in a car, even just the brief period before the drug test made the chance of a false positive THC test nearly impossible. Research further points out that you would need to be in a severely unventilated area to inhale so much second-hand smoke that you fail a drug test.[/Spolier]

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
AzStevenCal said:
If you're talking about second hand pot smoke, then, for the most part, no, everyone isn't partaking. You have to deal with the stench obviously and smoke in general is bad for human beings (plus there's reason to believe that smoke from marijuana might be even worse for you then cigarette smoke)...

My reason for not wanting to be in an enclosed area with someone smoking pot is the same as not wanting
to be in an enclosed area with a cigarette or cigar smoker. Ingesting second hand smoke into my lungs.

And if the intention is to make you high and that is not my choice, I shouldn't have to. Yes, everyone is
partaking
in an enclosed area, like it or not. It is not the same as alcohol or shooting drugs.

Medical marijuana is beneficial and I am not judging that. But it is not meant to be used in a social setting.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My reason for not wanting to be in an enclosed area with someone smoking pot is the same as not wanting
to be in an enclosed area with a cigarette or cigar smoker. Ingesting second hand smoke into my lungs.

And if the intention is to make you high and that is not my choice, I shouldn't have to. Yes, everyone is
partaking
in an enclosed area, like it or not. It is not the same as alcohol or shooting drugs.

Medical marijuana is beneficial and I am not judging that. But it is not meant to be used in a social setting.

Yeah I have no desire either to be in a small room or car with someone smoking pot anymore than I'd put up with someone smoking a cigar in the same area. But that's not what "partaking" means, he was talking about getting high by being around it.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you're talking about second hand pot smoke, then, for the most part, no, everyone isn't partaking. You have to deal with the stench obviously and smoke in general is bad for human beings (plus there's reason to believe that smoke from marijuana might be even worse for you then cigarette smoke) but you don't get high off of second hand marijuana use except in extreme situations. We're talking about the kind of situation you would most likely never come across unless you were actually trying to get high. Granted, an automobile with windows closed and no vents open is one of the easier ways to get an actual contact high but even then it's not likely unless multiple smokers are involved.

Excerpt from Weedmaps: Researchers concluded that being exposed to marijuana smoke under “extreme conditions” can indeed give non-smokers a contact buzz. Outside of that very limited scope, though, any secondhand effects you might feel around cannabis smoke are likely to be the result of the power of suggestion. You can’t get high from catching a whiff of someone’s joint while walking down the street, but you will feel some effects if you are sitting in an unventilated enclosure filled with smoke, also known as hotboxing.

From usdrugtestcenters.com" Is it possible to fail a drug test due to second-hand smoke exposure? Yes. Does that mean it’s likely or probable? Not at all. Research has found that even when you place smokers and non-smokers together in a car, even just the brief period before the drug test made the chance of a false positive THC test nearly impossible. Research further points out that you would need to be in a severely unventilated area to inhale so much second-hand smoke that you fail a drug test.[/Spolier]
https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/new...dhand_cannabis_smoke_causes_mild_intoxication
Secondhand exposure to cannabis smoke under “extreme conditions,” such as an unventilated room or enclosed vehicle, can cause nonsmokers to feel the effects of the drug, have minor problems with memory and coordination, and in some cases test positive for the drug in a urinalysis. Those are the findings of a Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine study, reported online this month in the journal Drug and Alcohol Dependence.

Cannabis is the most widely used illicit drug in the world. “Many people are exposed to secondhand cannabis smoke,” says lead author Evan S. Herrmann, Ph.D., a postdoctoral fellow in psychiatry and behavioral sciences at Johns Hopkins. “The scenario we looked at was almost a worst-case scenario. It could happen in the real world, but it couldn’t happen to someone without him or her being aware of it.”

“We found positive drug effects in the first few hours, a mild sense of intoxication and mild impairment on measures of cognitive performance,” says senior author Ryan Vandrey, Ph.D., an associate professor of psychiatry and behavioral sciences at Johns Hopkins. “These were relatively slight effects, but even so, some participants did not pass the equivalent of a workplace drug test.”

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/new...dhand_cannabis_smoke_causes_mild_intoxication
Secondhand exposure to cannabis smoke under “extreme conditions,” such as an unventilated room or enclosed vehicle, can cause nonsmokers to feel the effects of the drug, have minor problems with memory and coordination, and in some cases test positive for the drug in a urinalysis. Those are the findings of a Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine study, reported online this month in the journal Drug and Alcohol Dependence.

Cannabis is the most widely used illicit drug in the world. “Many people are exposed to secondhand cannabis smoke,” says lead author Evan S. Herrmann, Ph.D., a postdoctoral fellow in psychiatry and behavioral sciences at Johns Hopkins. “The scenario we looked at was almost a worst-case scenario. It could happen in the real world, but it couldn’t happen to someone without him or her being aware of it.”

“We found positive drug effects in the first few hours, a mild sense of intoxication and mild impairment on measures of cognitive performance,” says senior author Ryan Vandrey, Ph.D., an associate professor of psychiatry and behavioral sciences at Johns Hopkins. “These were relatively slight effects, but even so, some participants did not pass the equivalent of a workplace drug test.”

Did you read this? It's saying the exact same thing I did. You don't get contact highs under normal situations, in fact, it's almost impossible to get high without being aware of it. It requires a closed area with no ventilation AND a lot of pot smoke. It doesn't happen easily so your statement that "second hand smoke means everyone is partaking". Read your quote again, those mildly worrisome results are in "extreme conditions" only.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Did you read this? It's saying the exact same thing I did. You don't get contact highs under normal situations, in fact, it's almost impossible to get high without being aware of it. It requires a closed area with no ventilation AND a lot of pot smoke. It doesn't happen easily so your statement that "second hand smoke means everyone is partaking". Read your quote again, those mildly worrisome results are in "extreme conditions" only.
We are talking about in a car, aren't we--which is exactly the circumstance the article mentions.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I didn't include that in my previous post about the effect of 2nd hand cannabis smoke but, with short-term memory problems for names and numbers at my age, I wouldn't want anything to make it even worse.

The risks for bystanders are more serious than someone else's drinking in the room.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are talking about in a car, aren't we--which is exactly the circumstance the article mentions.

In a car, with multiple smokers, all vents closed and the windows all the way up. That doesn't just "happen" to innocent non-smokers in the area which was YOUR POINT. And even in that extreme environment, the drug related effects are minimal. The health risks are significant IMO but the "getting high" aspect is incredibly overstated by those pushing the "second hand smoke/contact high" agenda. And trust me, there are billions, perhaps trillions of dollars, involved in convincing the public that their little kids are getting force fed "highs" by being near all this legalized stuff.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't include that in my previous post about the effect of 2nd hand cannabis smoke but, with short-term memory problems for names and numbers at my age, I wouldn't want anything to make it even worse.

The risks for bystanders are more serious than someone else's drinking in the room.

It's talking about "extreme conditions" and I can't imagine you (or I) ever being in that situation. How often do you go into a small, fully enclosed room with zero ventilation and allow a handful of your buddies to light up? If you're doing this very often, I'd recommend you stop but you might want to write that on a post-it note in case it wipes out your short term memory.:cool:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
It's talking about "extreme conditions" and I can't imagine you (or I) ever being in that situation. How often do you go into a small, fully enclosed room with zero ventilation and allow a handful of your buddies to light up? If you're doing this very often, I'd recommend you stop but you might want to write that on a post-it note in case it wipes out your short term memory.:cool:

Funny, Steve! When I visit my psychiatrist-hippie cousin and his wife in San Francisco, being in their car
and home exposes me to second hand pot smoke. I don't like curtailing my visits because of that, so
I tolerate it. My bringing it up has not accomplished much and my priority is visiting them. Chinese,
Japanese, Korean and dim sum meals out as well as sushi. Yum! Sightseeing over and under the
Golden Gate and Oakland Bay bridges. Visiting the Embarcadaro. Yeah!

And because I have lived in an apartment for the past ten years because I am divorced, I don't like it
when I get second second hand pot (and cigarette) smoke through the vents in my bathroom from
one or more adjacent apartments.

I asked our chief maintenance guy about it and he said that the exhaust vents from the apartments
(there are 460 in our complex) were designed to recirculate among the adjoining apartments. They
do not exhaust to the outside air. As crazy as that sounds.

Otherwise, I like where I am living and am not about to move because of it. The air purifier I bought
for the bathroom may make a slight difference. So I tolerate it when it has happened.

My response is personal. But then, so is the issue of second hand smoke of any kind. Which I don't
mind sharing with my friends on ASFN.

Cough cough! :rolleyes:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I asked our chief maintenance guy about it and he said that the exhaust vents from the apartments
(there are 460 in our complex) were designed to recirculate among the adjoining apartments. They
do not exhaust to the outside air. As crazy as that sounds.
I worked in property management and my first maintenance guy told me vents were not connected. I had tenants swearing smoke came out of vents, but they never called me when it was happeneing. Then I got a new more experienced maintenance man, and he told me absoluetly they were all connected! I still cannot believe they nuild that way, but if you think about it, with the number of units, if they ran seperate pipes for each unit, your walls would be all events inside! I drew up rough plans myself where each unit is vented externally and has ir's own closed ventilation system. I was told exterior vents are ugly. No way would they build that way. Funny, when I was a kid all the older houses in town had exterior vents for the kitchens. It is no wonder when flue season hits, everyone in a unit seems to get it at the same time.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
It is no wonder when flue season hits, everyone in a unit seems to get it at the same time.
Was that a Freudian slip, Yuma? :)

You must be registered for see images attach

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Was that a Freudian slip, Yuma? :)

You must be registered for see images attach
It was up North, so we did have Flues. Probably more my Olde English from books in my childhood! Really messed with my early spelling. I still tend to add an e to the end of words.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
So, Gambo is saying Holmes is gone. I wonder if they tell the agent or player long enough in advance to find a new gig. Anyone in basketball can see his skills and hustle. He will be snapped up.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So, Gambo is saying Holmes is gone. I wonder if they tell the agent or player long enough in advance to find a new gig. Anyone in basketball can see his skills and hustle. He will be snapped up.

He's a free agent so they don't need to give any sort of notice. I wouldn't be surprised if there had been a conversation with him or his agent about the Suns not being interested in resigning him. It may even be an issue on Holmes' end also. His play earned him more than the league minimum that he was making and if he were willing to resign for that cheap, the Suns would be fools to turn him away and while they have done plenty of foolish things in the past, I can't see them making a foolish move like that which would save them a few million.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Is this conjecture on Gambo's part or does he really know something?

If it is about getting in trouble, then the same could apply to Josh Jackson.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hear that Dedmon will be the target to replace Holmes. That would be a quality signing.

Under the radar about Dedmon. Over his first seven years in the league, he attempted on1 three-point shot--not per season, one period. Last year he attempted 217 and made 83 of them (.382).

Connection of note: Monty Williams and Dedmon were both in the Spurs org at the same time.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this conjecture on Gambo's part or does he really know something?

If it is about getting in trouble
, then the same could apply to Josh Jackson.

My guess it's for the same reason he was available in the first place - money. I suspect his contract demands continue to be greater than his on court value although I wouldn't be surprised to learn the pot bust made the decision easier.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My guess it's for the same reason he was available in the first place - money. I suspect his contract demands continue to be greater than his on court value although I wouldn't be surprised to learn the pot bust made the decision easier.

I think Holmes is worth more than the million or so the Suns paid him.

Dedmon was paid $6,300,000 last season so he will not be a cheap option.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Holmes is worth more than the million or so the Suns paid him.

Dedmon was paid $6,300,000 last season so he will not be a cheap option.

Sure but I was talking about the rumored contract demands he had in Philly, not what he was actually paid. I think both players will get more than what Dedmon made this season but Holmes was supposedly asking for quite a bit more.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure but I was talking about the rumored contract demands he had in Philly, not what he was actually paid. I think both players will get more than what Dedmon made this season but Holmes was supposedly asking for quite a bit more.

I didn't read about this but Holmes is worth it. If the Suns do not want to pay it, they are wise to move on.

Another thing, Monty may want his own players.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson