Richaun Holmes arrested in Miami for pot

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This might cause his price tag to go down in free agency, which might help us retain him. I think he was set for a contract this summer that was probably around the bi-annual exception, which I believe is in the $2 million dollar range, and about double what a minimum salary would be for a player with his tenure in the league. He had been playing for the league minimum previously. He wasn't going to get a team's full Mid-Level Exception but I thought there was a chance he might get half of a team's MLE. That probably won't happen now.

I don't care that he smokes pot, it's his choice, but it does show poor judgement to be in a state where it's not legal and be out and about with it on his person. He shouldn't have put himself in that position. Knowing he got popped with someone else also makes it a little worse. Both guys were carrying when only one of them could have carried it all to allow the other to walk. This shouldn't be much of an issue that lingers though.

Found this interview on Twitter, Richaun on a radio show in Ohio. He talks about how he'd like to return to the Suns next season, spoke highly of the Monty Williams hiring, and talked a little bit about the current playoff series. The show is from May 18th. It should be synched up so if you hit play it starts when he comes on the show. It's at the 27:50 mark in the video, it says 11:35 in the tweet but that is what time it took place.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Meh.

He’s been in the league a minute and by all accounts he’s a great guy and all his coaches and teammates love him. Just a poor choice I’m sure he’s getting an ear full from his mom right now.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
What the hell’s goin on in FLA? The Suns need to get a Den Mother down there to oversee this crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Oh no ... weed! :rolleyes:

Barely even a story these days.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Meh.

He’s been in the league a minute and by all accounts he’s a great guy and all his coaches and teammates love him. Just a poor choice I’m sure he’s getting an ear full from his mom right now.

Forgot about his mom. I followed her on Twitter for a while, she was quite entertaining. It was a little odd how she was totally fine with Richaun as Ayton's backup. It seemed to indicate that she was knowledgable in regards to the game and that ego wasn't an issue for them. You don't often hear someone's family speak highly of the player ahead of their family member in the depth chart.

I imagine you are right that he's hearing from her. His dad is a preacher also, so I imagine he's hearing it from both of them. His mom was on one of the fan podcasts last year, I think it was The Timeline. She was one of the most entertaining podcast guests that I heard on any of the shows last year.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh no ... weed! :rolleyes:

Barely even a story these days.

other than being illegal in Florida, no big deal. I wish it was legal, and no judgement on anyone that uses it - no different than alcohol, etc. But when you are in line for a big payday, be a little smarter...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised the two players had to be booked into jail on misdemeanors. I guess that's Florida.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Guys, he was smoking and driving. Not sitting at home minding his own business. This is more serious.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys, he was smoking and driving. Not sitting at home minding his own business. This is more serious.

They were arrested for possession of cannabis. I'm not sure about the smoking and driving part.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
My god! I really don't care if he smokes weed. Just do not do it before driving OR WHILE DRIVING! WTF? As I understand it, the NBA does not test for weed, so fair game. It's not to hard to figure out guys. Smoke. Shower. Get an Uber or hire a driver, get a family member to drive, etc.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Looking more like we WILL end up with freaking Jimmer Fredette! OMG! :eek:

First JJ, now Holmes. Dropping like flies! On the plus side, maybe Holmes market for his services has gotten cheaper?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looking more like we WILL end up with freaking Jimmer Fredette! OMG! :eek:

First JJ, now Holmes. Dropping like flies! On the plus side, maybe Holmes market for his services has gotten cheaper?

Just wait, we'll hear that Jimmer's been chased out of Utah for consuming a Red Bull. ;)

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Just wait, we'll hear that Jimmer's been chased out of Utah for consuming a Red Bull. ;)
We can only hope! I'll take it!

BTW, the Mormon Church bought into Pepsi I believe. It's OK to have caffeine products from Pepsi now. God works in mysterious ways. :)

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who cares nothing feels better than a bag of weed!

Weed should be legal statewide anyway

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Monty said he and JJ were talking about visiting players. They better start booking flights NOW! :eek:

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
other than being illegal in Florida, no big deal. I wish it was legal, and no judgement on anyone that uses it - no different than alcohol, etc. But when you are in line for a big payday, be a little smarter...

This is true. I am also an old man with a ton of hindsight

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave