Report: Joe Paterno's exit in the works

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I just read the grand jury report. Absolutely disgusting. There is no doubt of Sandusky's guilt. Even without the witnesses, the similar pattern of his abuse erases any bit of doubt. The way he prayed on kids, lavishing them with gifts and testing their tolerance for abuse is abhorrent. There were so many signs. It's a tragedy that nothing was done to stop him years ago.

Sandusky will get his, but the subsequent coverup by the University is appalling in its own right. How many more kids were hurt because of PSU's in action? This thing when it really explodes is going to bring down the house. I remember stories of Catholic churches going bankrupt to settle the civil penalties in sex abuse cases and the Catholic church has much deeper pockets than PSU. This is going to have much bigger implications than Sandusky's fate, Paterno's future, Penn State Football. The reputation of the school will be tarnished for at least a generation, likely cost the university untold millions, and put the school front and center in a high profile federal investigation.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The school actually issued a "don't bring your victims to campus" policy to Sandusky. What does that tell us about Paterno's understanding of the events?

These events are much different than the experience you tell about IMHO. If you or a co-worker had actually witnessed an anal rape in progress and you failed to act responsibly then that would be similar.

Yep, and Paterno also refused to go to Sandusky's retirement dinner, despite knowing him and working with him for years. Sort of implies he already knew something.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not giving Paterno a pass - he should have done more, and he has said that. He was wrong, but based upon the personal experience I related, I can understand a bit why he may not have acted more strongly. That and people are assuming that he must have known more than what has been reported.

There are posters on this website that have gone as far as to say Paterno is responsible for a DA's disappearance, i.e - murder.

My point is not that Paterno is blameless, rather that some statements on this site are ridiculously over the top.

You situation is not comparable. IF someone had come to you and said, "I saw ____________ raping (fondling, rubbing down, whatever) this kid in the shower." I'd like to think you would've reported this to the police, or the kids family, just as Joe should've done. You just had a gut feeling something was off, that is not something you can report.

I'm a teacher, and I once had a student tell me her dad had been abusing her. At that time, I immediately told her I was under legal obligation to report it. In fact, if I didn't, I committed a felony. She freaked, begged me not to, but I had to. CPS and the police were contacted, and it turned out almost none of her extremely elaborate story was true. In fact, even if she hadn't told me this (via a note), but a third party did, I would've still been legally responsible, and morally responsible, to report it. So, no, i don't give joepa a pass jsut because I wasn't there.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sandusky will get his, but the subsequent coverup by the University is appalling in its own right. How many more kids were hurt because of PSU's inaction? This thing when it really explodes is going to bring down the house. I remember stories of Catholic churches going bankrupt to settle the civil penalties in sex abuse cases and the Catholic church has much deeper pockets than PSU. This is going to have much bigger implications than Sandusky's fate, Paterno's future, Penn State Football. The reputation of the school will be tarnished for at least a generation, likely cost the university untold millions, and put the school front and center in a high profile federal investigation.

Penn State is a public university and therefore ultimately funded and ran by the State of Pennsylvania. The state will be sued as well for allowing the environment to happen.

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Multiple reports from reporters on twitter reporting Paterno is out. If true this is the right decision.

EDIT: It's now official Paterno is out!

Last edited:

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Multiple reports from reporters on twitter reporting Paterno is out. If true this is the right decision.

EDIT: It's now official Paterno is out!

They had no choice, the fall out from this scandal is going to be massive. While I don't think it's likely(though do think it's called for) the death penalty is a possibility and I'm sure the school will be desperate to do whatever they can to placate the NCAA.

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
They had no choice, the fall out from this scandal is going to be massive. While I don't think it's likely(though do think it's called for) the death penalty is a possibility and I'm sure the school will be desperate to do whatever they can to placate the NCAA.
If Sandusky is guilty of these crimes I'd love to see the death penalty applied but it's unconstitutional. The death penalty can only be applied for murder.

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
If Sandusky is guilty of these crimes I'd love to see the death penalty applied but it's unconstitutional. The death penalty can only be applied for murder.

He meant the NCAA death penalty for the football program like what SMU got back in the late 80's. They were barred from playing football for a year, could only play away games for 2 years after, etc.

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He meant the NCAA death penalty for the football program like what SMU got back in the late 80's. They were barred from playing football for a year, could only play away games for 2 years after, etc.

Ahhh, sorry about that. I do think the regular death penalty is warranted here if this is all true though.

Reaction score
While the charges and accusations at Penn State are of a far more serious nature, there are no NCAA violations.

You may consider this a inconsequential distinction, but it is factual. These issues are outside of the jurisdiction of the NCAA. I haven't heard a single news/sports reporter discussing NCAA ramifications.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While the charges and accusations at Penn State are of a far more serious nature, there are no NCAA violations.

You may consider this a inconsequential distinction, but it is factual. These issues are outside of the jurisdiction of the NCAA. I haven't heard a single news/sports reporter discussing NCAA ramifications.

It's been discussed on many national sports radio shows. It is called "lack of institutional control." A lot of people, myself included, think the "death penalty" may be in order to truly clean house.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
except it isn't lack of institutional control as defined by the NCAA - institutional control only has to do with NCAA governed violations

they would first need to determine an NCAA rule was violated - then determine the process & procedures in place at the time of the violation and then if the policies and procedures were being monitored & enforced

institutional control has pretty much everything to do with compliance with the NCAA rule book

NCAA is in a tough spot with this one

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
except it isn't lack of institutional control as defined by the NCAA - institutional control only has to do with NCAA governed violations

they would first need to determine an NCAA rule was violated - then determine the process & procedures in place at the time of the violation and then if the policies and procedures were being monitored & enforced

institutional control has pretty much everything to do with compliance with the NCAA rule book

NCAA is in a tough spot with this one

If the NCAA doesn't have a rule against a coach showering with young boys in the football facility's showers...they need to add it.

The guy was a perv as coach and then after he retired as "coach emeritus" with access to the same facilities while everyone in charge looked the other way.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
it's a criminal matter which is generally outside the reach of the NCAA

I don't know if there is a morality clause condition amongst coaches/administrators .... seems like if there was we would have heard about it by now

I definitely think everyone on the football team should be given a release from their scholarships .... i'm just not sure how much of this would fit into what the NCAA can preside over

Even in something like the Dave Bliss situation at Baylor they had payments to players, giving orders to file false expense reports, etc.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Yep, and Paterno also refused to go to Sandusky's retirement dinner, despite knowing him and working with him for years. Sort of implies he already knew something.

Did Sandusky ever have another coaching job after Penn State. Seems like the defensive coordinator at Linebacker U would have some head coaching opportunities.

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
Did Sandusky ever have another coaching job after Penn State. Seems like the defensive coordinator at Linebacker U would have some head coaching opportunities.

Nope. The first investigation was in 98. He negotiated a retirement with Penn State in '99, which allowed him to have unlimited access on campus and still keep an office on campus.

I posted this link in one of the other threads: http://www.nesn.com/2011/11/jerry-s...ung-boys-to-rich-donors-says-mark-madden.html
It's about him possibly pimping out the boys to rich donors. But it also includes this:

"The other thing I think that may eventually become uncovered, and I talked about this in my original article back in April, is that I think they'll find out that Jerry Sandusky was told that he had to retire in exchange for a cover-up," Madden said. "If you look at the timeline, that makes perfect sense, doesn't it?

Reading the grand jury report, some of these rapes took place at night in the locker room while the team was on the road. So Sandusky had unlimited access to this empty locker room since he didn't have to travel with the team anymore and he used it on multiple occasions.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope. The first investigation was in 98. He negotiated a retirement with Penn State in '99, which allowed him to have unlimited access on campus and still keep an office on campus.

I posted this link in one of the other threads: http://www.nesn.com/2011/11/jerry-s...ung-boys-to-rich-donors-says-mark-madden.html
It's about him possibly pimping out the boys to rich donors. But it also includes this:

Reading the grand jury report, some of these rapes took place at night in the locker room while the team was on the road. So Sandusky had unlimited access to this empty locker room since he didn't have to travel with the team anymore and he used it on multiple occasions.
Holy crap. I am thinking the BOT had more information about the actions of JoePa etal. Doesn't it seem like a situation where they gave JoePA option to resign immediately and he refused. So the BOT "severed ties" severed ties with him. To me, things point to JoePA et al knowing a ton more/covering up a ton worse.

Reaction score
I definitely think everyone on the football team should be given a release from their scholarships .... i'm just not sure how much of this would fit into what the NCAA can preside over
Why should players whom had nothing to do with any of this be penalized?

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

A release from a scholarship isn't a penalty, is it? I thought it meant the person is allowed to transfer to another school without penalty.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score

Which is why they should be released from their scholarships & not held captive to this university

They should be able to move to a different institution without penalty starting in the spring semester

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well you could certainly argue the lack of institutional control angle if they had a known child molester having open access to their facilities.

but I agree it's probably not an NCAA matter it's a legal matter.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
A release from a scholarship isn't a penalty, is it? I thought it meant the person is allowed to transfer to another school without penalty.

Exactly

They are being released from their obligations and subsequent penalties that come with being a scholarship athlete

I'm not advocating that they be released as in have their scholarships taken away, thrown out of school or released from the team

Just an "anyone who wants to leave can leave without restriction or penalty"