Report: Joe Paterno's exit in the works

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
How are they going to handle this? I bet he's out by the weekend.

Paterno released a statement earlier today. In it, he says he will "retire" at the end of the season, and that the Board of Trustees should spend "no more time" on him, and focus their efforts "elsewhere" as there are more important matters to address...

This guy is UNVBELIEVABLE!!! He is now telling the University when he will leave????? Are you kidding me?? Somebody please wake me up here... this can't be really happening...

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Why is that shocking? It's the way it's been for a long time - just the scope is so vastly different and Joe doesn't realize that he isn't untouchable and doesn't get to dictate the terms on this one ..... then again, maybe he's right

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you guys read the grand jury report? In addition to McCreary seeing Sandusky in the shower with a kid, a janitor saw him with a kid in the Penn St shower as well. And a high school wrestling coach caught Sandusky with a kid rolling around the floor "wrestling."

:thud:

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Just read the 23 page grand jury report. Sickening.

That's some disturbing material.

I've been reading a lot lately about mental health and the law and I really hope the victims are given the therapy they will need.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
Paterno released a statement earlier today. In it, he says he will "retire" at the end of the season, and that the Board of Trustees should spend "no more time" on him, and focus their efforts "elsewhere" as there are more important matters to address...

This guy is UNVBELIEVABLE!!! He is now telling the University when he will leave????? Are you kidding me?? Somebody please wake me up here... this can't be really happening...

I saw that, I just wonder if there will be enough pressure to oust him before the weekend. I have a feeling a lot more is going to come out on this story with all the other speculations out there.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Jerry Sandusky founds The Second Mile. It begins as a group foster home dedicated to helping troubled boys and grows into a charity dedicated to helping children with absent or dysfunctional families.

You know, I've read a few descriptions like this, but it doesn't really sound as if that's what it was dedicated to.

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Paterno said he'd retire, the BOT haven't made the final determination yet. This university cannot move on until everyone is gone and that includes Paterno and McQueary. I think the landscape of Penn State football will look drastically different in 24-48 hours. The governor is involved now, this is way out of Paternos control. His fate is sealed and in no way will he be the coach much longer. I think he's out by Friday and if not the pressure and outcry will be so great the university will have no choice but to remove him or force him out IMO. Every day he stays on as coach is another slap in the face to every victim and their families. Joe Paterno MUST GO NOW!

If that report about Nebraska is true it would be a very classy move by NU. All Joe Paterno has been saying is beat Nebraska and if Nebraska forfeits it would show Paterno there are much bigger things in life than football or money and would be the final blow to PSU and Paterno in what little if any respectability or integrity it/he has left. How sad would it be that NU would get that message about a mess PSU helped create.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have sat and read and watched the posters of this forum criticize, and judge the actions of a man whom by all standards has led an exemplary life. Paterno’s life has been lived under the spotlights and under the accompanying scrutiny that comes with the spotlights. Until now he has passed every test and judgment.

Yet, without full knowledge of the facts, some of you have judged Joe Paterno as an accessory to criminal activities, including murder. I can’t even respond to those comments because I am frankly dumbfounded by them.

In an attempt to express outrage over what were by all accounts disgusting and vile acts, you are ready to condemn anyone associated with the accused perpetrator of those acts. Perhaps you don’t realize that they are also victims at some level; albeit not to the same degree as the children involved in this.

You don’t know the man (Paterno), or what he has or hasn’t gone through or is going through regarding these incidents.

The best way I can express the aspects of this situation that most are overlooking is by relating a personal experience.

Many years ago (30+)I worked as a counselor for several treatment programs for juvenile delinquents. Another of the counselors, who had become a friend, seemed to take a greater interest in particular boys in the program than he showed for all of them.

His actions didn’t seem professional to me, yet the he never seemed to cross the line of being anything worse than unprofessional, and showing favoritism towards some of the children. At times a thought would cross my mind that something inappropriate could be happening, but I had no evidence of that. I didn’t act upon my thoughts because I had nothing more than an intuition and didn’t want to destroy someone’s career and life with a false accusation.

Over time, I moved on from this employment and so did the co-worker. Unlike me, he continued to work in a career that placed him in contact with juveniles. It was maybe 10-15 years later when I found out that my former friend and co-worker was arrested for child molestation that occurred after the time we worked together.

I have NO knowledge that this man ever did anything deviant or criminal while we were co-workers, but the possibility that he might have, and I didn’t see it or act upon my intuition bothers me to this day.

It seems clear to me that Jerry Sandusky is a serial pedophile, the facts of which will be determined by due process.

Joe Paterno was a co-worker and friend of Jerry Sandusky. We don’t know what Paterno knew or when he knew it. It is likely that we never will, because he will not be given the benefit of due process.

But I can imagine the self-guilt that he and others involved (the university administrators, the Second Mile authorities, the high school authorities, the parents, and the local civil authorities) are feeling now that they didn’t do something sooner to stop what was happening.

The greater someone or something is the more others seem to revel in their downfall.

Fire away, but you don't know what you think you know.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A man is judged by his worst deed. It is an indicator of what that man is capable of. 14 years of looking the other way may be his worst deed. Inexcusable and indefensible. He held himself and his image for these same years as the model of decency and morality, while hiding this secret. Why?

I don't imagine many are reveling in his downfall. They are just overcome with disgust.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
We don’t know what Paterno knew or when he knew it. It is likely that we never will, because he will not be given the benefit of due process

Have you read the testimony contained in the grand jury report? What we don't know is if Paterno watered down the graphic details of the assault when he passed it forward.

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I have sat and read and watched the posters of this forum criticize, and judge the actions of a man whom by all standards has led an exemplary life. Paterno’s life has been lived under the spotlights and under the accompanying scrutiny that comes with the spotlights. Until now he has passed every test and judgment.

Yet, without full knowledge of the facts, some of you have judged Joe Paterno as an accessory to criminal activities, including murder. I can’t even respond to those comments because I am frankly dumbfounded by them.

In an attempt to express outrage over what were by all accounts disgusting and vile acts, you are ready to condemn anyone associated with the accused perpetrator of those acts. Perhaps you don’t realize that they are also victims at some level; albeit not to the same degree as the children involved in this.

You don’t know the man (Paterno), or what he has or hasn’t gone through or is going through regarding these incidents.

The best way I can express the aspects of this situation that most are overlooking is by relating a personal experience.

Many years ago (30+)I worked as a counselor for several treatment programs for juvenile delinquents. Another of the counselors, who had become a friend, seemed to take a greater interest in particular boys in the program than he showed for all of them.

His actions didn’t seem professional to me, yet the he never seemed to cross the line of being anything worse than unprofessional, and showing favoritism towards some of the children. At times a thought would cross my mind that something inappropriate could be happening, but I had no evidence of that. I didn’t act upon my thoughts because I had nothing more than an intuition and didn’t want to destroy someone’s career and life with a false accusation.

Over time, I moved on from this employment and so did the co-worker. Unlike me, he continued to work in a career that placed him in contact with juveniles. It was maybe 10-15 years later when I found out that my former friend and co-worker was arrested for child molestation that occurred after the time we worked together.

I have NO knowledge that this man ever did anything deviant or criminal while we were co-workers, but the possibility that he might have, and I didn’t see it or act upon my intuition bothers me to this day.

It seems clear to me that Jerry Sandusky is a serial pedophile, the facts of which will be determined by due process.

Joe Paterno was a co-worker and friend of Jerry Sandusky. We don’t know what Paterno knew or when he knew it. It is likely that we never will, because he will not be given the benefit of due process.

But I can imagine the self-guilt that he and others involved (the university administrators, the Second Mile authorities, the high school authorities, the parents, and the local civil authorities) are feeling now that they didn’t do something sooner to stop what was happening.

The greater someone or something is the more others seem to revel in their downfall.

Paterno has yet to be truly judged... that day will come soon for the 84 year old man. And when it does, I pray our Lord has mercy on his soul...

Let me ask you: If you were Paterno and a former employee of yours was found having anal sex with a 10 year old boy, and you were informed of this... Would you merely tell your bosses, while still allowing this grotesque human being access to the very locker room where he commited the most heinous of acts?? Or, would you follow up? Check to see what was being done about it? Inquire as to why he was still showing up - FOR 9 YEARS - after the rape was first reported to you??
Yea, I know... the football program produced a $55 MILLION PROFIT last season. So, ya know... what does it matter that a few kids lives were forever ruined... right? :mad:

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score

Would you be giving Paterno a pass if one of your kids or grandkids was the one raped by Sandusky and Paterno did nothing to stop future attacks? Did Paterno ever try and find out what happened to any of the children that Sandusky attacked? Paterno's actions are indefensible.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
exactly - the grand jury report states a lot

also, let's not pretend that PSU has been as squeaky clean as the image that has been manufactured out of State College ....... anyone who has spent time on campus knows this - especially over the past 10-15 years

none of that is relevant though

what is very relevant is that at that moment in his life, he was confronted with a decision .... he could take a position of leadership, a difficult one at that given the nature of the allegation, the implications towards the program he built and the indictment of an individual who he had nearly a 40 year relationship with .. or he could pass the buck

he passed the buck - he even waited another day to actually do it ...... attack witnessed on friday night, paterno knew saturday morning - he reported it up on sunday

he could have taken a former player that is on his staff and lead him to the police to tell his story - let him know that what he is saying is a criminal matter and one best dealt with outside of the administration - teach his former player that while he is concerned about what he say and the implication that he didn't do anything at the moment, that he can redeem himself by doing something now

instead he hid behind the curtain of "i told my supervisor"

his hands aren't as dirty as many implicated in this mess - but they are dirty none the less

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
exactly - the grand jury report states a lot

also, let's not pretend that PSU has been as squeaky clean as the image that has been manufactured out of State College ....... anyone who has spent time on campus knows this - especially over the past 10-15 years

none of that is relevant though

what is very relevant is that at that moment in his life, he was confronted with a decision .... he could take a position of leadership, a difficult one at that given the nature of the allegation, the implications towards the program he built and the indictment of an individual who he had nearly a 40 year relationship with .. or he could pass the buck

he passed the buck - he even waited another day to actually do it ...... attack witnessed on friday night, paterno knew saturday morning - he reported it up on sunday

he could have taken a former player that is on his staff and lead him to the police to tell his story - let him know that what he is saying is a criminal matter and one best dealt with outside of the administration - teach his former player that while he is concerned about what he say and the implication that he didn't do anything at the moment, that he can redeem himself by doing something now

instead he hid behind the curtain of "i told my supervisor"

his hands aren't as dirty as many implicated in this mess - but they are dirty none the less

Precisely... :thumbup:

Reaction score
Question: Why are Curley and Schultz being charged with perjury and Paterno is not?

They all gave the grand jury basically the same testimony...

At least in so far as what was released in the report.

Reaction score
Have you read the testimony contained in the grand jury report? What we don't know is if Paterno watered down the graphic details of the assault when he passed it forward.
Curley and Shultz are being charged with perjury and Paterno is not, while they all used lesser terms for what transpired in the shower. Therefore McQuery's testimony of what he told Paterno must be in agreement with Paterno's. Whereas in the case of Curley and Shultz, it is clear that there were divergent testimonies, and hence the perjury charges.

Reaction score
Would you be giving Paterno a pass if one of your kids or grandkids was the one raped by Sandusky and Paterno did nothing to stop future attacks? Did Paterno ever try and find out what happened to any of the children that Sandusky attacked? Paterno's actions are indefensible.
I am not giving Paterno a pass - he should have done more, and he has said that. He was wrong, but based upon the personal experience I related, I can understand a bit why he may not have acted more strongly. That and people are assuming that he must have known more than what has been reported.

There are posters on this website that have gone as far as to say Paterno is responsible for a DA's disappearance, i.e - murder.

My point is not that Paterno is blameless, rather that some statements on this site are ridiculously over the top.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Question: Why are Curley and Schultz being charged with perjury and Paterno is not?

They all gave the grand jury basically the same testimony...

At least in so far as what was released in the report.

Curley and Shultz are being charged with perjury and Paterno is not, while they all used lesser terms for what transpired in the shower. Therefore McQuery's testimony of what he told Paterno must be in agreement with Paterno's. Whereas in the case of Curley and Shultz, it is clear that there were divergent testimonies, and hence the perjury charges.

What did Paterno do that could be construed as illegal?? Nothing... he took the story to his bosses. What Paterno is guilty of is simply being a human being!
Do you really believe that McQueary, in full freak out mode while speaking with Paterno, only told him part of the story?? Or, do you really believe that Paterno, seeing his employee in full freak out mode, didn't inquire as to why he was so upset?? What was causing his employee to be so emotional?? That would essentially mean that Paterno was totally inept as a boss. And if there is one thing for certain, it's that Paterno was not an inept boss... at least, not back in 2002.

No... Paterno, at minimum, had to inquire with McQueary what was causing him to be so distraught. And therefore, Paterno knew precisely what took place in that shower. He knew that a 10 year old boy was being bent over and a 60 year old man raped him!
But, yes, JoePa is not accused of breaking the law. That should help you sleep better at night I guess...

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score

The school actually issued a "don't bring your victims to campus" policy to Sandusky. What does that tell us about Paterno's understanding of the events?

These events are much different than the experience you tell about IMHO. If you or a co-worker had actually witnessed an anal rape in progress and you failed to act responsibly then that would be similar.

Last edited:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paterno has been white-washing the crimes of his players for decades - rapes, assaults, thefts.

Paterno is SCUM. He needs to be in jail for the rest of his life.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's been out of touch for years. Making jokes about sexual assault charges and DUI's when his players were arrested.

Doesn't surprise me at all that he did the bare minimum after an incident perpetrated by Jerry Sandusky - former player/coach he's known for nearly 50 years.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just read the grand jury report. Absolutely disgusting. There is no doubt of Sandusky's guilt. Even without the witnesses, the similar pattern of his abuse erases any bit of doubt. The way he prayed on kids, lavishing them with gifts and testing their tolerance for abuse is abhorrent. There were so many signs. It's a tragedy that nothing was done to stop him years ago.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard