Report: Joe Paterno's exit in the works

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thing is exploding, as well it should. Our society will not tolerate child abuse.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7207730/penn-state-nittany-lions-call-joe-paterno-news-conference

Report: Joe Paterno's exit in the works

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. -- Penn State's president abruptly canceled Joe Paterno's weekly news conference Tuesday amid increasing calls for both men to resign in the wake of a former assistant coach's sex-abuse scandal and as another potential victim came forward.

More on Penn State Scandal

Michael Weinreb grew up in the shadow of Penn State and says the place he is from will never be the same. Story

Joe Paterno and Penn State officials were faced with a critical choice about damning information and chose to protect the program. This is what power has become. This is what power has always been. Story

The Penn State community is angered and hurt by allegations of sexual abuse of children -- and stunned that coaches and officials failed to report it, writes ESPN.com's Dana O'Neil. Story

There's a question hanging over the Penn State football program: What did Joe Paterno know about allegations of sexual abuse against Jerry Sandusky and when did he know it? There are no good answers, writes ESPN.com's Jeff MacGregor. Story

The New York Times reported that Penn State's board of trustees has had discussions about the 84-year-old Paterno's departure and how to manage it. The newspaper, citing "two people briefed on conversations among the university's top officials," said that Paterno's exit could come within days or weeks.

A source with knowledge of internal discussions at Penn State told "Outside the Lines" reporter Steve Delsohn that "the support on the board of trustees for Joe is eroding."

"But what that means and how much that support has eroded remains to be seen." The Associated Press, citing a high-ranking Penn State official, said that a decision could be at hand before the board meets Friday.

Meanwhile, Paterno's son, Scott, told reporters that his father has had no talks with Penn State officials or trustees about stepping down. He told reporters outside his father's house Tuesday that Joe Paterno plans to not only coach in Saturday's game against Nebraska, but for the long haul.

Tuesday's news conference was to be the first chance for reporters to ask Paterno about what he knew about Jerry Sandusky, his former defensive coordinator and one-time heir apparent, who was indicted on 40 counts of sexually abusing eight boys over 15 years......

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
After reading the entire story, everyone should be fired. The is so disturbing. I can't believe the Mccuery coach did not go straight to the police after seeing Sandusky having anal sex with the ten year old boy. No one gave a damn about the boy. It's very disturbing that there are people like Sandusky out there in such high profile jobs.

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Good he didn't earn the right to go out on his terms and with dignity. He should be fired and leave with his proverbial tail between his legs. I hope he's fired before Saturday's game and he can take that coward who was too afraid to speak up and intervene while witnessing the abuse with him.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good he didn't earn the right to go out on his terms and with dignity. He should be fired and leave with his proverbial tail between his legs. I hope he's fired before Saturday's game and he can take that coward who was too afraid to speak up and intervene while witnessing the abuse with him.

Now he gets to retire at the end of the season? WTH!!!! :mad:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah it's just not right I don't care how old he is, how nice he appears to be or how many games he's won. Something happened in 2002, that's NINE years ago. He knew it happened, and he kept the guy around kids and didn't tell the police when he knew the guy wasn't in any legal trouble over it.

Even if McQueary or the dad lied to Paterno about the extent of what the younger McQueary had seen, and the grand jury doesn't seem to think he did lie, that still doesn't excuse paterno not taking stronger actions.

The AD is in even worse shape he didn't do anything either, but Paterno is the head coach, it's his assistant, and it's a 10 year old kid you gotta take some actions to make sure that never happens to another kid. He didn't and it did happen to several other kids.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
12 years he knew about and covered up for this most heinous activity, and now he gets to hang on for his finale of , what he thinks will be blowing kisses, tributes and adulation. He may get that in Happy Valley this week, but hopefully he will be in for a huge surprise in Columbus, Oh , Madison , WI and wherever they play a bowl game. I surely hope the road crowd gives him a huge dose of humility and reality. He may be senile now, but was that his excuse the whole 12 years? Given the events that are being uncovered he needs to be arrested and suspended immediately along with the cohorts in the athletic dep't who knew. Let the players coach themselves and finish out the season. Bring in Cowher or Gruden to finish the season. The players deserve it.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
If Paterno is allowed his love-fest sendoff this weekend, I will have lost all respect for Penn State, forever.

Seeing 100,000 people cheering Paterno would almost be worse than the rape for the victims. Now, millions of people know about it and seemingly don't care? That will be awful, if it comes about.

Any chance there may be of healing between Penn State and Sandusky's victims will be gone forever.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just can't understand the reasoning of the leaders of Penn State. Are they Satan worshippers? How can they be so morally bankrupt?

If I was a Penn State player, I would refuse to take the field with Paterno as coach. SOMEONE needs to do the right thing!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just can't understand the reasoning of the leaders of Penn State. Are they Satan worshippers? How can they be so morally bankrupt?

If I was a Penn State player, I would refuse to take the field with Paterno as coach. SOMEONE needs to do the right thing!

:thumbup:

I should add in a perfect world the kids wouldn't have to do something like that an adult would step up and say this is wrong and dismiss the coach.

Last edited:

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
12 years he knew about and covered up for this most heinous activity, and now he gets to hang on for his finale of , what he thinks will be blowing kisses, tributes and adulation.

This whole thing is so outrageous. Paterno is a complete peice of garbage. By carrying on with this charade through the end of the season he is essentially raising his middle finger to every parent in America. Someone's gotta step in and shut this thing down.

Honestly, after reading the details of the grand jury report, I don't know how they can even play a football game on Saturday. It seems trivial and dirty. Do we really have to put up with seeing Paterno coaching a game from his cowardly little box seat while that do-nothing McQueary is on the sidelines? Sheesh.

Last edited:

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I thought he was dead?!?!

Someone told me that they were just propping his dead carcus up in the booth to create the JoePa illusion.

Most of the university hierarchy wanted him gone 10 years ago but the old turd refused and they caved.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I kind of doubt people in the admin wanted Joe Pa out. He was big $$$.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
If Paterno is allowed his love-fest sendoff this weekend, I will have lost all respect for Penn State, forever.

Seeing 100,000 people cheering Paterno would almost be worse than the rape for the victims. Now, millions of people know about it and seemingly don't care? That will be awful, if it comes about.

Any chance there may be of healing between Penn State and Sandusky's victims will be gone forever.

Yeah, the whole thing of them cheering at his house was too far. It's one thing to support a coach going through something, but totally another to basically say "We don't care what happened, so we'll show up and cheer for you" How the details of what came out doesn't repulse all those people, but instead makes them RALLY for him, is beyond me.

Can you believe the mess the NCAA is right now? Who could have imagined Guys like tressel and Paterno would be out if someone told you a few years back? Conference realignment, scandals, $$$$$$, BCS....

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
I kind of doubt people in the admin wanted Joe Pa out. He was big $$$.

Apparently the Penn St football program provided a profit of more than $50 million last year. That might explain why nobody went to the authorities.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Apparently the Penn St football program provided a profit of more than $50 million last year. That might explain why nobody went to the authorities.

Yep... the number I heard was a profit of just over $55 Million. Incredible! That much $$, a missing D.A., a 12 year cover-up of innocent little boys being grotesquely raped... yea, the pieces are all there...

:mad:

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
Herd some initial rumors Nebraska might forfeit the game this weekend in protest. not sure it will happen, but this whole thing is a mess.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep... the number I heard was a profit of just over $55 Million. Incredible! That much $$, a missing D.A., a 12 year cover-up of innocent little boys being grotesquely raped... yea, the pieces are all there...

:mad:

Some things are just too coincidental to be a coincidence.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Herd some initial rumors Nebraska might forfeit the game this weekend in protest. not sure it will happen, but this whole thing is a mess.

BTW, this game, if it happens, is scheduled to be broadcast on ESPN @ 12.00 noon EST. This game will set records for viewership if Joseph Paterno is still coaching. The curiosity will only be outdone by the hatred.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
BTW, this game, if it happens, is scheduled to be broadcast on ESPN @ 12.00 noon EST. This game will set records for viewership if Joseph Paterno is still coaching. The curiosity will only be outdone by the hatred.

How are they going to handle this? I bet he's out by the weekend.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

Now that would be interesting. Wow.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So the question becomes is ESPN contractually obligated to show the game?

Can they say we decided to show another game?

I know they won't it's just too big a story for them to do something like that but it would be interesting if the king of sports media essentially said if nothing changes we won't show them on our network again this season.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score

I know they won't it's just too big a story for them to do something like that but it would be interesting if the king of sports media essentially said if nothing changes we won't show them on our network again this season.

No way ESPiN backs a way from those ratings this game would have. Sadly, they probably love all this attention the game is getting.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

ESPN is promoting the game and has already said they will televise it!

Sickening...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard