Report: Joe Paterno's exit in the works

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
except it isn't lack of institutional control as defined by the NCAA - institutional control only has to do with NCAA governed violations

they would first need to determine an NCAA rule was violated - then determine the process & procedures in place at the time of the violation and then if the policies and procedures were being monitored & enforced

institutional control has pretty much everything to do with compliance with the NCAA rule book

NCAA is in a tough spot with this one

I don't know for sure but I think IC is sort of the NCAA equivalent of "hostile workplace environment" which became more common because it can not only encompass sexual harassment but other issues at work.

I think the NCAA normally talks about not fostering an atmosphere of compliance when talking about IC but you could certainly claim the school didn't follow their own policies and were thus lacking Institutional Control.

But I don't expect the NCAA to go after that.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this story... i just can't say enough how sickening it is... now people are rioting and protesting IN FAVOR of the guy who probably knew all along that a child rapist was amongst him and did nothing?

Coach Paterno goes down as a legend alright... a legendary piece of crap. Joe Pa OWNED Penn St. The idea that he isn't culpable for this disaster of biblical proportions is ludicrous.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if there's any justice, Penn. St. gets the death penalty. the idea that recruiting violations are a more serious crime than letting a pedophile rule the roost of your athletic department makes zero sense whatsoever.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
if there's any justice, Penn. St. gets the death penalty. the idea that recruiting violations are a more serious crime than letting a pedophile rule the roost of your athletic department makes zero sense whatsoever.

Agreed. I can't imagine an athletic department doing anything worse than what they allowed to happen here.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You all think that they are keeping Mike McCreary around so he doesn't tell all?

Reaction score
A release from a scholarship isn't a penalty, is it? I thought it meant the person is allowed to transfer to another school without penalty.
Ok, I agree this should be allowed.

I didn't understand the meaning of what MO was saying. I thought what he said meant that there scholarships should be taken away from them.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
You all think that they are keeping Mike McCreary around so he doesn't tell all?

I'm surprised he's still on the staff. I think it's quite possible that he got his nice coaching gig in exchange for his silence years ago as he was certainly in a position to bring down the program. Will be interesting to see what he says moving forward.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ahhh, sorry about that. I do think the regular death penalty is warranted here if this is all true though.

Yeah, I'm in favor of the death penalty all around on this one. Though obviously not applicable legally and I doubt the NCAA pushes for it.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score

McQueary will not be coaching this Saturday due to several threats received. Ironic isn't it? He is afforded safety and protection instead of being left to fend for himself against a brutal assault.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I listened to the karissa miller radio interview and yeah the Dj was wrong calling her stupid. However her point of joe paterno accomplishments supersed whats being going on for the past decade under his watch...is just bizzare

Last edited:

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The school has put him on PAID administrative leave. Paid. The guy who could have stopped a child rape but went to Daddy (the perp's good buddy) instead.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These pictures should be emblazoned on "Wanted" posters.

15 who knew.

http://www.thedaily.com/page/2011/11/11/111111-news-penn-state-abuse-6-8/

You must be registered for see images

SCANDAL’S LONG HISTORY

First accusation against Penn State assistant coach was in 1998

By Sarah Ryley Friday, November 11, 2011
Jerry Sandusky worked for Penn State for 32 years as an assistant coach and defensive coordinator. He is charged with sexually abusing eight boys, whom he recruited through his charity for troubled boys, The Second Mile, from 1994 to 2009.

15 ADULTS WHO KNEW ABOUT ALLEGATIONS OF SANDUSKY’S BEHAVIOR BEFORE THE ARREST:

Joe Paterno, the legendary Penn State University football coach who was in his 46th season, was fired by the school’s board of trustees Wednesday.

Graham B. Spanier, Penn State’s president since 1995, also was fired by the board of trustees Wednesday. He was told of the 2002 shower incident but did not report the matter to police.

Tim Curley, Penn State’s athletic director, is charged by the state attorney general with perjury and failing to report to authorities what he knew of the allegations.

Gary Schultz, Penn State’s senior vice president for finance and business, is charged by the attorney general with perjury and failing to report to authorities what he knew of the allegations.

Mike McQueary, Penn State assistant football coach, says he witnessed Sandusky having anal sex with a boy in the shower in 2002 and reported the incident to his higher-ups.

Jim Calhoun, a janitor who saw Sandusky performing oral sex on a boy in 2000, suffers from dementia and is not competent to testify.

Ronald Petrosky, another janitor, was approached by a shaking and crying Calhoun in 2000. He testified that the janitors were afraid they’d lose their jobs if they told on Sandusky.

Jay Witherite, the janitors’ immediate supervisor, was told of the 2000 incident and left it up to Calhoun to report it.

Ray Gricar, formerly Centre County district attorney, investigated a 1998 claim about Sandusky acting inappropriately with a boy in the shower. He disappeared in 2005.

Ronald Schreffler, a campus detective, was told in 1998 to close the case on Sandusky.

Jerry Lauro, an investigator with the state Department of Child Welfare, interviewed Sandusky on the 1998 incident.

Thomas Harmon was director of campus police in 1998, when Sandusky was investigated.

Ralph Ralston, another campus police officer, worked on the Sandusky case in 1998.

Dr. Jack Raykovitz, executive director of The Second Mile, allegedly was notified of the anal sex incident in 2002.

Wendell Courtney was university counsel during the 1998 investigation and remains counsel for The Second Mile.

TIMELINE OF EVENTS

1977: Sandusky starts The Second Mile, a group foster home for troubled young boys that grew into a statewide charity serving hundreds of young boys.

1998: Victim 6 tells his mother that he was lathered and bear-hugged by Sandusky in the shower. His mother tells Penn State campus police.

May 13 and 19, 1998: Police eavesdrop on a phone conversation during which Victim 6’s mother confronts Sandusky and tries to make him promise never to shower with a boy again. Sandusky will not promise. She asks if Sandusky’s “private parts” touched Victim 6; Sandusky responds, “Maybe,” and tells her, “I wish I were dead.”

June 1, 1998: Sandusky is interviewed by investigator Lauro and campus detective Schreffler, and admits to hugging Victim 6 naked in the shower, saying that he knows it was wrong. He is told to stop showering with children.

Schreffler and Gricar, the district attorney, decide against criminal charges. A similar incident with a victim referred to as B.K. was also investigated. Schreffler testified that Harmon, then campus police director, told him to close the case.

May 1999: Paterno tells Sandusky he will not be the next head coach of Penn State. Sandusky retires but negotiates emeritus status, giving him an office and access to facilities.

Fall 2000: Calhoun, the janitor, observes Sandusky in the shower of the Lasch Building performing oral sex on a young boy pinned up against the wall, and tells other janitors and his supervisor. Fellow janitor Petrosky later testifies they were afraid they’d lose their jobs if they told anyone what they saw.

March 1, 2002: McQueary enters the locker room at Penn State’s football building at about 9:30 p.m. and hears the shower running and “rhythmic, slapping sounds.” He sees Sandusky having anal sex with Victim 2, who appears to be 10 years old. McQueary goes to his office and calls his father.

March 2, 2002: McQueary shows up at Paterno’s house and reports what he saw.

March 3, 2002: Paterno calls Curley to his house to report that McQueary saw Sandusky doing something sexual in the locker room showers. Schultz testifies that he was then called to a meeting with Paterno and Curley, during which Paterno reported “disturbing” and “inappropriate” conduct in the shower by Sandusky.

Approx. March 13, 2002: McQueary is called to meet with Curley and Schultz, and reports what he saw. Curley and Schultz say they will look into it. Curley later testifies that McQueary only reported “inappropriate contact,” not anal sex. However, Schultz testifies that he had the impression that Sandusky grabbed the boy’s genitals.

April 2002: McQueary hears from Curley, who says that Sandusky returned his keys to the locker room and was prohibited from bringing youths on campus, and that the incident was reported to The Second Mile executive director Raykovitz.

July 2009: Victim 1’s mother calls the high school to report inappropriate behavior. Sandusky is barred from the school and police are called.

September 2010: Sandusky retires from The Second Mile.

December 2010: McQueary testifies to the grand jury.

Nov. 5, 2011: Sandusky is arrested.

Nov. 9, 2011: Paterno and Spanier are fired.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
On Deadspin this morning:

Judge Who Set Unsecured Bail For Jerry Sandusky Is A Second Mile Volunteer

When Jerry Sandusky was initially arraigned, as previously reported by Sara Ganim, prosecutors requested $500,000.00 bail and that Sandusky be required to wear a leg monitor. District Judge Leslie Dutchcot, however, ordered that Sandusky be freed on $100,000 unsecured bail. She ordered that Sandusky be freed and pay nothing unless he failed to show up for a court hearing.

Judge Dutchcot has quite the professional resume. In addition to her duties as district judge, she is of counsel to the firm Goodall & Yurchak. It speaks to the small-town nature of the county, I suppose, that the firm's URL is "centrelaw.com." According to her profile, Judge Dutchcot has been named the State College Lawyer of the Year, completed a "Leadership" program and has served as a counselor at Centre County Law Enforcement Camp Cadet, Inc.

Of course, also according to her profile, Judge Dutchcot is a volunteer for Sandusky's group, The Second Mile. Sandusky turned himself in the morning of Nov. 5, a Saturday, at Judge Dutchot's Centre County office. He was released, under the aforementioned terms, shortly thereafter.

Attorneys often serve charitable foundations in their pro bono capacities, or just volunteer in their spare time, so there is nothing weird about that. It just seems that, given the nature of the charges, the small-town atmosphere, and her relationship to Second Mile, Judge Dutchcot should have recused herself from being involved with this process. Or that could be precisely why she did not.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard