Regarding Vance Joseph

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It seems that the so-called 'complexity' of Vance's system is hardly a Rubik's cube for the players given results.
Unless you look at the results of the rookies who have struggled to get acclimated to it. Zach Allen. Rashard Lawrence. Leki Fotu. Isaiah Simmons. Zaven Collins.

Also Von Miller has commented on the complexity of Vance's system. Chandler Jones had to have Colt McCoy tell him not to think too much.

Outside of all of these players, yes, I guess you are correct. 5 year + veteran players can figure out and execute Vance's defense. Also, it is pretty easy from a coverage aspect as long as you can tackle which is why I did not list any DBs.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Unless you look at the results of the rookies who have struggled to get acclimated to it. Zach Allen. Rashard Lawrence. Leki Fotu. Isaiah Simmons. Zaven Collins.

Also Von Miller has commented on the complexity of Vance's system. Chandler Jones had to have Colt McCoy tell him not to think too much.

Outside of all of these players, yes, I guess you are correct. 5 year + veteran players can figure out and execute Vance's defense. Also, it is pretty easy from a coverage aspect as long as you can tackle which is why I did not list any DBs.

Simmons' learning trajectory and hopefully Collins is hardly novel and with the latter injury has also impacted. An inside linebacker role at this level is complicated no matter the system. As for Allen, Lawrence, and Fotu, the greatest acclimation drawback I can see is lost time due to injury.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Simmons' learning trajectory and hopefully Collins is hardly novel and with the latter injury has also impacted. An inside linebacker role at this level is complicated no matter the system. As for Allen, Lawrence, and Fotu, the greatest acclimation drawback I can see is lost time due to injury.

It isn't. DCs differ in how much they decide to put on their LBs depending on what they want out of them. Wade Phillips put less because he wanted his LBs to play as fast as they could. Vance tries to have all bases covered which to him is more important than the players playing fast. Similar to QB in that DCs decide how much they want to adjust their scheme to help a young player acclimate to the league.

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
The Bears wouldn't surprise me as a landing spot for Vance as a HC. Traditionally strong defense. Nagy is an offensive guy who isn't cutting it. Knowing Cardinal luck, our D will come out and sack the qb about 8 times when we play them and have a couple of pick sixes...which wouldn't be a bad thing. I don't mind Joseph as long as he doesn't go to SF, Seattle or the Rams.
I thought that too, but if Vance learned anything from his last HC stint it would have to be that you can't win cycling through bad QBs. Chicago would be Denver 2.0 for him.

His starting QBs during his two year HC stint in Denver were Trevor Siemian, Paxton Lynch, Brock Osweiler, and Case Keenum. He'd be wise to go to a place that can draft a QB high or has a decent one in place.

Last edited:

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
If we win the Super Bowl
Or even get to the NFC Title game, I think he definitely gets a HC job.
That was not the vibe I get from him at all. Why leave AZ to coach a poorly run franchise? He is already rich, he made at least $15 million from Denver. I think he had like $8 million they owed him when they fired him.

I am not saying he won't if he happens to get a job with a good owner a good GM then I'd be very happy for him. But what teams are going to be in the carousel this year?

Detroit - Um yeah that is like a 2 year gig max. What a terrible franchise.
Chicago - Poorly run team aging defense, young QB
Houston? Lol no way man.
Jets, what a horrible franchise with no future and even uglier uniforms the the Cards.
Giants, again another crap spot, their QB is trash, their D is trash total rebuild.
Denver, out of the question for obvious reasons.
Miami, might be a good spot for the defense and money
Minnesota, I doubt it but that wouldn't be horrible
Vegas would be a great spot for him.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That was not the vibe I get from him at all. Why leave AZ to coach a poorly run franchise? He is already rich, he made at least $15 million from Denver. I think he had like $8 million they owed him when they fired him.

I am not saying he won't if he happens to get a job with a good owner a good GM then I'd be very happy for him. But what teams are going to be in the carousel this year?

Detroit - Um yeah that is like a 2 year gig max. What a terrible franchise.
Chicago - Poorly run team aging defense, young QB
Houston? Lol no way man.
Jets, what a horrible franchise with no future and even uglier uniforms the the Cards.
Giants, again another crap spot, their QB is trash, their D is trash total rebuild.
Denver, out of the question for obvious reasons.
Miami, might be a good spot for the defense and money
Minnesota, I doubt it but that wouldn't be horrible
Vegas would be a great spot for him.
There are 32 NFL head coaching spots in the entire world. He’s not an old man content to not try for one of these coveted spaces. And Bienemy is cautionary tale that refusing certain franchises to get a better gig can spell doom to your future prospects.

Red on White

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Do failed head coaches get stamped for life in the NFL? Or do they typically get 2nd and 3rd chances, recycled etc?

I wasn't following the NFL when Vance was at Denver but I imagine that experience plus the last few years with Arizona would mean he's better prepared for another crack at a HC role

I know in Australian Rules Football there's a tendency to see failed coaches as damaged goods rather than valuing experiences gained (good and bad)

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Do failed head coaches get stamped for life in the NFL? Or do they typically get 2nd and 3rd chances, recycled etc?

I wasn't following the NFL when Vance was at Denver but I imagine that experience plus the last few years with Arizona would mean he's better prepared for another crack at a HC role

I know in Australian Rules Football there's a tendency to see failed coaches as damaged goods rather than valuing experiences gained (good and bad)
Norv Turner would like a word with you. :)

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There are 32 NFL head coaching spots in the entire world. He’s not an old man content to not try for one of these coveted spaces. And Bienemy is cautionary tale that refusing certain franchises to get a better gig can spell doom to your future prospects.
Yep. Your first sentence says it all.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

You often get a second chance but not a third. McDaniels will get another chance. I won’t be surprised if the Philly coach who won a super bowl does too.

You have to be pretty trash to not get a second run at it.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Failed coaches get recycled all the time if they prove themselves again at coordinator level.