Regarding Vance Joseph

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vance probably didn't get fair shake. Bowlin family disaster, Elway was no help, no QB, etc. All that combined was likely a tough road for a 1st time head coach. Fanzio isn't doing a whole lot better, if any. He'll surely get interviews no matter how the Cards finish.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I don’t think the Cardinals will let all those coaches go. Especially Kuegler. Remember the team doesn’t have to grant permission for them to go, or they can get creative with new titles and pay structure/promotions to block them from going.
Kueugler could go as OC.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Wouldn’t be surprised if the Bears go with a young coach who has a lot of buzz, like chargers, bengals, packers. Probably offensive minded

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Folks, if we win the Super Bowl, someone’s taking Vance. That’s just what happens, especially if there isn’t a succession plan like there prob is in Tampa.
Don’t know about that. Can still see teams being hesitant on Vance like they are with Bowles after their firings are still somewhat recent.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Wouldn’t be surprised if the Bears go with a young coach who has a lot of buzz, like chargers, bengals, packers. Probably offensive minded
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bears throw a lot of money in Ryan Day's direction. Whether he'd go or not is the question.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the event VJ gets another head coach opportunity, do you see his replacement already on the Cardinals staff, or will they need to look outside? With so many young players, continuity needs to be a priority, IMO.
I'm more hopeful we give him an increase and a co head coach title or something. Defenses take a while to kick in and losing the architect right when they get good is unpleasant.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know. OC's make better head coaches than DC's. Yeah, someone will give him a job, but I think the present situation is his perfect spot. Pay him, make him happy to be here.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Probably fewer vacancies this year. The really bad teams, Detroit, Jax, Houston, and the Jets have rookie coaches. And there is a possibility that the Cards don't win the Big Dance.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I doubt he gets hired away after this season. His DC history is still short and his first HC stint was only 2 years.

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score
Teams want control of play callers. It's not that Vance wouldn't be worth of it but very few teams hire defense head coaches these days

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Don’t know about that. Can still see teams being hesitant on Vance like they are with Bowles after their firings are still somewhat recent.
Yeah if Bowles didn’t get a job after Tampa won the Super Bowl I don’t know that Vance is. I totally thought Bowles was deserving too bc it was the defense who won that game.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
Vance isn’t going anywhere. Not this off season.

I could see Kugler getting some consideration. He’s been around and has a good resume.

I saw today Belichick has a base of $18 million. Perhaps we can keep the band together by paying them some good scratch.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He would get an interview for sure. I think he would go with Vance though as the DC for that team in this scenario.

Overall guess is that we would go with an outside candidate.
Someone with a more player friendly system

Simplify the D and I believe we will really see the players excel even more

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
He won't. Kugler likes his gig in AZ and how his input is valued by Kliff.
You could be right but I’ve never seen a unit coach turn down a coordinator job if offered. I’m not sure he’d be offered as he hasn’t worked much with the passing game, so it would require him to acquire a good QB coach and a receivers coach. Still teams believe games are won at line level and now that he’s directing the running game you’d have to say he’s gotten great performance from Conner.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It seems that the so-called 'complexity' of Vance's system is hardly a Rubik's cube for the players given results.
Doesn't need to, just has to slow down during or pre snap and you have problems for the players, they get slow or in wrong positions and can't win theire matchup if they aren't more atletic/better. And that is what we most of the time see on the field. That was the problem with Carolina for example the 2 Newton TD were mostly because someone didn't overcome a fresh Newton. Basically would we have played him in week 2 of his return we would have had a better chance.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
You could be right but I’ve never seen a unit coach turn down a coordinator job if offered. I’m not sure he’d be offered as he hasn’t worked much with the passing game, so it would require him to acquire a good QB coach and a receivers coach. Still teams believe games are won at line level and now that he’s directing the running game you’d have to say he’s gotten great performance from Conner.
I believe the Asst HC role for the Cardinals is comparable. I don't know what his pay is. If Kugler received an offer, Kliff would advocate for Kugler to get a pay increase and he might give up the OC title evemn if he is still calling plays.

From what I know, and this is minimal, Kugler likes the value the team gives his run game input and letting him call choice run plays. He doesn't want to be a HC again by his own words, and his role with the Cardinals let's him play in the role of OC enough without any of the drawbacks. I think Kugs is pretty happy right now.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose