Red Hulk (Marvel)

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drawing perspective like that with a person is very difficult. That's well done.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are right I might be off on Liefield. I was thinking of how Spiderman's webs changed and that whole style of his webswinging really evolved. I think that was McFarland now that you have said it because of how Spawn looked.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I think you've romanticized the era. Sales were inflated because of multiple gimmick covers per issue and the very things you're holding against Marvel today: "hot shot angles." It was all style and no substance. The writing was terrible and the art was (overall) not good.

In regards to Spider-Man of the 90's, I think you're talking about McFarland, not Leifield. McFarland's SM was one of the few bright spots for Marvel in the 90s, IMO...and he was one of the few Image guys that were talented enough to go it on their own (along with, to a lesser extent, Jim Lee and Erik Larson). Liefield was F'n terrible. Just awful. Here's a prime example:
You must be registered for see images attach

I don't know - I remember liking Liefeld's work with both X-Force and Youngblood.

I stopped reading comic books about 15 years ago but i was a diehard right around that 'saturation point' you speak of. But I in turn continued to follow Marvel while really liking some of the Image stuff.

I remember the first real altered reality story line I read was X-Men: Age of Apocolypse and thinking it was pretty cool. But even that was panned at the time. Seems it all went downhill from there.

Last edited:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just red the second issue of "Red" Hulk (It's actually just "Hulk" and appears to be a second on-going title). Rick Jones ISN'T the Hulk. But, I don't think Banner is, either. This is a very good series so far with a lot of xfiles/lost type unanswered questions.

Jeph Loeb is the writer, so it should probably hold up as long as he's on it.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
(It's actually just "Hulk" and appears to be a second on-going title).

I put Red Hulk as the title just to stir some discussion about it.

So far, Hulk has been good. Can't wait to see where it goes from here.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Incredible Hurcules ("The Incredible Hulk") has been really good, too. I like the treatment of Herc.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was always a fan of Joe Quesada's art. Especially his work with X-Factor.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quesada is better today than he's ever been. I cannot say the same for John Romita Jr.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
First, I'm disappointed they just made Hulk red. If he's Rick Jones couldn't he look just a touch more like... Rick Jones? I'm not talking body building Lim-style Hulk (I may have lost some people there) but just not Bruce Banner Hulk painted red.

Since we're talking about artists' I though I'd throw my favorites into the ring.

Todd McFarlane- made Spider-Man look fluid and more agile than anyone else and inspired most modern Spidey artists with his interpretation. More importantly, his characters out of costume looked different than a lot of cookie cutting dress-up dolls a lot of artists seem to be stuck with. No two characters of he drew could be mistaken.

http://www.newsarama.com/Actor_Hero/USM100/McFarlane.jpg

Jose Madureira- his own artistic style was heavily influenced by Japanese cartoons, his style really created a whole wave of copy-cats that defined the look of comic books for a period. Of all the artists I've followed, his career has been the most fun, a person can see as he grows. He's got some really incredible and unmistakable stuff going on in the Ultimates (3) right now.

http://www.entrecomics.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/ultimates-3-1.jpg
[SIZE=-1]
Chris Bachalo
- Has a very blocky style that I love. His characters also look unique. Does a lot of smaller-press stuff and I personally, never get to see enough of his work.

http://images.wikia.com/marveldatabase/images/0/0d/X-Men_200_wallpaper_by_Chris_Bachalo.jpg

[/SIZE]

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You had me at "Hulk." Thanks for bumping the comic book topic.
First, I'm disappointed they just made Hulk red. If he's Rick Jones couldn't he look just a touch more like... Rick Jones? I'm not talking body building Lim-style Hulk (I may have lost some people there) but just not Bruce Banner Hulk painted red.
It's not Rick Jones. We don't know what the deal is yet, but this new Hulk seems to be enraged and coldy calculating at the same time.

Are you reasding it? You should. The first two issues are very good.

Todd McFarlane- made Spider-Man look fluid and more agile than anyone else and inspired most modern Spidey artists with his interpretation. More importantly, his characters out of costume looked different than a lot of cookie cutting dress-up dolls a lot of artists seem to be stuck with. No two characters of he drew could be mistaken.

http://www.newsarama.com/Actor_Hero/USM100/McFarlane.jpg
I agree. I really like McFarlane's stuff, especially on spider-man. Later I thought his work got a little too detailed, but that's nitpicking.

Jose Madureira- his own artistic style was heavily influenced by Japanese cartoons, his style really created a whole wave of copy-cats that defined the look of comic books for a period. Of all the artists I've followed, his career has been the most fun, a person can see as he grows. He's got some really incredible and unmistakable stuff going on in the Ultimates (3) right now.

http://www.entrecomics.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/ultimates-3-1.jpg
I've got to disagree with you on this one. While I love the way his japanese influence gives the pencils a great sense of motion and action, that same influence ruins it for me because of the faces and hair. I can't stand it.

[SIZE=-1]
Chris Bachalo[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]- Has a very blocky style that I love. His characters also look unique. Does a lot of smaller-press stuff and I personally, never get to see enough of his work.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]http://images.wikia.com/marveldatabase/images/0/0d/X-Men_200_wallpaper_by_Chris_Bachalo.jpg
The blocky style is pretty popular these days, but again, I don't like it. I didn't like it when JRjr shifted to it, and I don't like this stuff, either.[/SIZE]

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'll check out the new stuff as soon as I can. My favorite local shop closed recently, and I've yet to find a replacement.

I think the new guy doing Ultimate Spider-Man who replaced Bagley isn't too bad, what do you think of him?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I used to be an out and out comic book geek, still have the comics from Jr High & High School bagged, backed & boxed and safely stored away. They may not be worth a whole lot but I still love them. My favorite was always Daredevil...Frank Miller's stories were awesome.

So today I am at Barnes & Noble have a lot of time to waste so I read all of the Planet Hulk & World War Hulk graphic novels. Wow! Thats was a really cool story and I never really got in to Hulk as a kid. Now I have to ask, where do I go from there Hulk-wise, is Red Hulk the next series or was there something in-between? and who is this Sentry dude that fights Hulk to a standstill?

My vote for worst comic artist of all time is Bill Sienkiewicz. I was so looking forward to "Elektra Assasin" when it came out and his art made it almost unreadable. Just ugly, non-comic art to me... I am sure others will disagree but blech.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now I have to ask, where do I go from there Hulk-wise, is Red Hulk the next series or was there something in-between? and who is this Sentry dude that fights Hulk to a standstill?
Red Hulk is the "next" story, and so far it's pretty good. But, if you're looking for some good hulk stories, I'd start with "Future Imperfect" and the first couple of trade paperbacks of Bruce Jones' "Incredible Hulk" (from around 7 years ago).

The Sentry is a strange character. He's superman-powerful, and his story was that he's actually been a part of the Marvel universe forever, but his enemy, The Void, somehow wiped everyone's (including the Sentry's) mind of his presence. The Sentry went mad and only recently resurfaced. I hope they clean the mess up they've made with him soon.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Red Hulk is the "next" story, and so far it's pretty good. But, if you're looking for some good hulk stories, I'd start with "Future Imperfect" and the first couple of trade paperbacks of Bruce Jones' "Incredible Hulk" (from around 7 years ago).

The Sentry is a strange character. He's superman-powerful, and his story was that he's actually been a part of the Marvel universe forever, but his enemy, The Void, somehow wiped everyone's (including the Sentry's) mind of his presence. The Sentry went mad and only recently resurfaced. I hope they clean the mess up they've made with him soon.

Ok thanks for clearing that up for me...I'll have to look up those other Hulk books now.

Is there a Sentry origin story out there? What book did he first appear in? Did Marvel do a "Crisis on Infinite Earth" type thing like DC and basically hit restart on the universe or was there something else done?

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks for clearing that up for me...I'll have to look up those other Hulk books now.

Is there a Sentry origin story out there? What book did he first appear in? Did Marvel do a "Crisis on Infinite Earth" type thing like DC and basically hit restart on the universe or was there something else done?
The Sentry first appeared in a mini series by the same name. Maybe 2 or 3 years ago?

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right on... what else is coming from Marvel?
There are lots of good things coming out of Marvel. Millar is doing an awesome run on Wolverine and the FF, Punisher (even minus Ennis) is still very good, spider-man has gotten back to basics and has been better than it's been in years.

I really disagree with the "desperation" angle on Marvel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard