2018 salaries for starting QB's

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 2018 starting quarterbacks, ranked by APY

Here’s the list of 2018 starters by annual average, with actual numbers for those with contracts and projected numbers for those who will still be signed.

1. Kirk Cousins: $29 million per year (projected). The number could go higher depending on the number of suitors and the zeal with which they pursue him.

2. Drew Brees: $28 million per year. Whether he signs with the Saints or someone else, Brees always has gotten paid handsomely. As he should. If the Saints want to keep him, they’ll possibly need to match or beat the package given to the guy who has started seven largely inconsequential games.

3. Jimmy Garoppolo: $27.5 million per year. The highest paid player in the NFL won’t be the highest paid for long. He may not be in the top five for long.

4. Matthew Stafford: $27 million. He’ll have another chance to get to the top of the market when he signs his fourth big-money, multi-year NFL contract in a few years.

5. Derek Carr: $25 million. If the Raiders hadn’t signed him last year, the Raiders would be faced with a fascinating decision. Keep Carr or pursue someone like Cousins, most recently coached by Jon Gruden’s younger brother?

6. Andrew Luck: $24.594 million. He hasn’t done much to earn his money, but that should change this year.

7. Joe Flacco: $22.133 million. But for a crippling cap hit, the Ravens would be considering replacing the Super Bowl MVP from five years ago.

8. Aaron Rodgers: $22 million. When it’s all said and done, he’ll be north of $30 million.

9. Russell Wilson: $21.9 million. He’s already overdue for a new deal.

10. Ben Roethlisberger: $21.85 million. The Steelers have mentioned the possibility of an extension. As more and more quarterbacks get paid, Roethlisbeger may demand one.

11. Alex Smith: $21.7 million. Combining a four-year, $94 million extension with a 2018 salary of $14.5 million puts Smith on the fringe of the top 10.

12. Eli Manning: $21 million. A middle-of-the-pack quarterback has nearly middle-of-the-pack pay.

13. Philip Rivers: $20.812 million. Dollar for dollar one of the biggest bargains in the league.

14. Cam Newton: $20.76 million. The new Carolina owner’s first order of business should be to address Newton’s deal.

15. Matt Ryan: $20.75 million. The 2016 league MVP is grossly underpaid.

16. Case Keenum: $20 million (projected). That’s 10 times what he made a year ago.

17. Ryan Tannehill: $19.25 million. And now you know why the Dolphins aren’t rushing to get rid of him.

18. A.J. McCarron: $19 million (projected). Not bad for a guy with four career starts.

19. Blake Bortles: $18 million. Kind of puts it the new contract in perspective, doesn’t it?

20. Andy Dalton: $16 million. The Red Rifle may be looking for more green, soon
21. Tyrod Taylor: $15.25 million. Whether he plays for the Bills or someone else, it’s a pretty good deal.

22. Tom Brady: $15 million. Fake Don Yee was right.

23. Mitch Trubisky: $7.258 million. Slotted rookie deal from 2017, as the No. 2 pick.

24. Jared Goff: $6.984 million. Slotted rookie deal from 2016, as the No. 1 pick.

25. Carson Wentz: $6.669 million. Slotted rookie deal from 2016, as the No. 2 pick.

26. Jameis Winston: $6.337 million. Slotted rookie deal from 2015, as the No. 1 pick.

27. Marcus Mariota: $6.053 million. Slotted rookie deal from 2015, as the No. 2 pick.

28. Patrick Mahomes: $4.1 million. Slotted rookie deal from 2017, as the No. 10 pick.

29. Deshaun Watson: $3.463 million. Slotted rookie deal from 2017, as the No. 12 pick.

The list doesn’t include 32 quarterbacks, given the possibility that one or more rookie quarterbacks will be Week One starters. Wild cards include Sam Bradford, Josh McCown, and Nick Foles, any of whom could also be starting when the season begins.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The contracts going to QBs is only going to go up. The only thing putting a halt to the escalation is the salary structure for drafted players.

Sam Bradford was one of the last QBs who signed as a #1 under the old arrangement where guys negotiated for as large a contract as possible. Now, there is at least a structure to player contracts and upper limits to what newbies get.

Throw that out the door when they put up some relative success and hit FA. For a brief moment, JG got a mega-deal with SanFran and was at the top of the pile---that didn't last for long. A guy like Cousins---who I'd see as slightly above average in terms of performance---is going to be top dog at the cash register.

Cards are going to have to bite the salary cap bullet sooner rather than later. It's not getting any cheaper.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kurt Cousins, an average to slightly above average QB making more money than anyone boggles the mind.

Cards are going to have to bite the salary cap bullet sooner rather than later. It's not getting any cheaper.
The owners have only themselves to blame. They set these insane prices then complain when borderline QB's like Cousins demand insane salaries. But thanks to the courts siding against MLB owners back in the late 80's, owners are forbidden from trying to bring salaries down which made no sense to me.

OP
OP
BullheadCardFan

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The contracts going to QBs is only going to go up. The only thing putting a halt to the escalation is the salary structure for drafted players.

Sam Bradford was one of the last QBs who signed as a #1 under the old arrangement where guys negotiated for as large a contract as possible. Now, there is at least a structure to player contracts and upper limits to what newbies get.

Throw that out the door when they put up some relative success and hit FA. For a brief moment, JG got a mega-deal with SanFran and was at the top of the pile---that didn't last for long. A guy like Cousins---who I'd see as slightly above average in terms of performance---is going to be top dog at the cash register.

Those numbers are huge to look at that way. It's so hard to commit so much of your payroll to only one players and have that player get injured or not live up to expectations.

For me I'm leaning toward bringing in a guy like Bradford or Bridgewater on a friendly deal and draft a QB in the 1st and maybe another later in the draft.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
For me I'm leaning toward bringing in a guy like Bradford or Bridgewater on a friendly deal

Easier said then done. I don't think either one of those guys are coming in for less than 15 to 18 mil a year, especially since they have to know we're drafting a QB too. Unless that is what you call a team friendly deal? Also you will have to outbid and other suitors they may have.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Easier said then done. I don't think either one of those guys are coming in for less than 15 to 18 mil a year, especially since they have to know we're drafting a QB too. Unless that is what you call a team friendly deal? Also you will have to outbid and other suitors they may have.
anything under $20mil for a guy with starting experience is a team friendly deal...assuming he has won a few games of course. But yeah...would really like to see them get a guy around $10mil and draft the future face of the franchise

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
anything under $20mil for a guy with starting experience is a team friendly deal...assuming he has won a few games of course. But yeah...would really like to see them get a guy around $10mil and draft the future face of the franchise

I don't think paying Bradford of Bridgewater anywhere near 20 mil is a team friendly deal. Now Kurt Cousins at a cap hit the first year around 20 mil is a team friendly deal. IMO

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I don't think paying Bradford of Bridgewater anywhere near 20 mil is a team friendly deal. Now Kurt Cousins at a cap hit the first year around 20 mil is a team friendly deal. IMO
But Bradford and Bridgewater were both first round picks who had the "Franchise QB" moniker at one time.... I think Bradford will likely go cheaper because he has been paid and he knows he cant stay healthy... Teddy on the other hand is just coming off his rookie contract and I am sure he thinks he will still be a franchise guy and his injury was a fluke.

I think both will get around 15 a year with incentives that can take it up... difference is Bradford is a known risk whereas Teddy is an unknown risk

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
But Bradford and Bridgewater were both first round picks who had the "Franchise QB" moniker at one time.... I think Bradford will likely go cheaper because he has been paid and he knows he cant stay healthy... Teddy on the other hand is just coming off his rookie contract and I am sure he thinks he will still be a franchise guy and his injury was a fluke.

I think both will get around 15 a year with incentives that can take it up... difference is Bradford is a known risk whereas Teddy is an unknown risk

I hope you're right.

OP
OP
BullheadCardFan

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score

+1

Thinking we can get one of these guys at around 15 per year. To me that is a team friendly deal as opposed to 20-25 mil or more for someone like Cousins. The $ saved will give us more room in FA to go shopping