Ready Player One

Discussion in 'Movies and Entertainment' started by Brian in Mesa, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

I loved it. I also loved the book, and was ok with most of the changes that were made. It helps that book's author was a producer and co-wrote the screenplay for the movie.

This movie is tailor-made for multiple viewings because of all the references in there.

Brian in Mesa likes this.
  2. AsUpRoDiGy

AsUpRoDiGy Magnanimous

Thought it was very well done. Definitely worth watching on the big screen :)

3. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

@Chaplin @Stout you two know my taste pretty well by now. As a non book reader, am I going to dig this/is I.T worth seeing Theater/paying for 3D?

4. cheesebeef

The Middle Key was the best section of the movie.

Otherwise... uh... what was at stake?

Stout likes this.
  5. Stout

Stout Hold onto the ball, Murray!

As long as you don't mind a good 45 minutes or so of bloat, I agree you should catch it on the big screen. This movie is nothing but visuals and references, so yes, it's worth it.

Like the book, it's really bad writing and is reliant on nostalgia. Unlike the book, the writing is better, and doesn't SOLELY rely on nostalgia--it has the visual angle, which is huge.

Cheese, it seems like you already did go to see it, so no advice needed :)

6. cheesebeef

I fell asleep at one point.

7. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

Huh I’m an avid reader across multiple disciplines and I enjoyed the book. I’m surprised at Stout’s criticism of the book.

The movie fell short for me in a few areas:

1. Real life didn’t seem grim enough for me.

2. The Oasis didn’t seem expansive enough for me. Not well enough developed

3. Felt like it was written too much for kids. IOI was too old school Disney goofyish villain for me.

Was entertained but hopeful for better. Visually prettt awesome though.

8. Stout

Stout Hold onto the ball, Murray!

Oh, nobody I know--even people that like and love the book--think it is well-written. They just dig the nostalgia.

At one point, there were five ginormous paragraphs that all started exactly the same way, followed by really bad info-dump descriptions written at a fourth-grade level. Giant monologues of telling, simple info-dumps, especially to start the story. A weak sauce narrative and a beige MC. The main character is a cardboard cutout without any, well, character to him. Ultimate example of a Mary Sue character (or Marty Stu). This nobody with nothing just happens to know exactly the right stuff at exactly the right times all the time, every time, even though there are millions of gunters who devoted as much time to research. There's no tension in the book because of it. At one point, the MC sets up an obstacle, where he couldn't access something and it was a huge problem--then literally solves it in the next sentence, because oh, it's cool, I bought some codes. Passive voice pervades the whole thing. Art3mis and their relationship is awful fantasy fulfillment. The Japanese pair are horribly racist caricatures. The black lesbian thing read as if the editor panicked and said "this isn't in the least a diverse book--quick, change her to as many demographics as you possibly can!" MC's only family and a good friend of his get blown up, and he's like, "Oh, that sucks" for one line, and that's it. And can you manage to score worse than an F at the Bechdel Test? The book certainly tried.

And that's just the immediate stuff I remember off the top of my head. I was super hyped to read it, and when I got into it, simply couldn't believe people were raving about it. Then again, people rave about poorly written trash all the time (50 Shades of Shyte, Twilight, etc), so I wasn't surprised in the end. If it scratches an itch (housewife fantasy, tweeny angst, or, in this case, nerdboy nostalgia), it will find a niche. My friend joked that they need a female version, because it was so male-centric.

Like I said, the movie cleaned up a TON of these problems. Though I didn't think it was great, the movie was a million times better than the book.

Cheesewater likes this.
  9. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

Hmm perhaps because I picked up the book years ago in a airport bookstore for a cross country flight before it had any real acclaim I had low expectations and the nostalgia carried me throughout the flight without my critical radar going off. I have a much higher pain threshold when flying (think Carl Hiaasen “mysteries” - quotes purposeful).

10. Chaplin

Stop going at midnight drunk!

Brian in Mesa likes this.
  11. Chaplin

Not much is worth 3D nowadays.

12. Chaplin

Trillions of dollars to start with.

13. cheesebeef

Eh. Never felt the life and death stakes. The outside world wasn’t established enough as so awful. So, a mega company might get... bigger. And money would change all the kid’s problems.

Meh. First you have to care about the kid and him just getting smacked once by a douche doesn’t do it. I had zero connection to him. I get that he’s supposed to be Charlie and the inventor guy is Willy Wonka looking to hand over the keys to kingdom... I mean, they even mimicked Charlie’s circumstances where his family was practically living on top of each other to this dude living in the stacks. But Charlie was like
    The brightest bulb in a dark world and loved his family.

The lead here was just... blegh.

Stout likes this.
  14. oaken1

oaken1 Stone Cold

my local theater charges $8.50 for a matinee....and 3D is $11.50...

reading over this thread makes it pretty clear I need to see this.....just as soon as it hits netflix in October or so

15. cheesebeef

Yeah... it’s pretty whatever. And visually I wasn’t even that impressed. Just looked like a really great video game on screen.