Ready Player One

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trillions of dollars to start with.

Eh. Never felt the life and death stakes. The outside world wasn’t established enough as so awful. So, a mega company might get... bigger. And money would change all the kid’s problems.

Meh. First you have to care about the kid and him just getting smacked once by a douche doesn’t do it. I had zero connection to him. I get that he’s supposed to be Charlie and the inventor guy is Willy Wonka looking to hand over the keys to kingdom... I mean, they even mimicked Charlie’s circumstances where his family was practically living on top of each other to this dude living in the stacks. But Charlie was like
The brightest bulb in a dark world and loved his family.

The lead here was just... blegh.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
my local theater charges $8.50 for a matinee....and 3D is $11.50...

reading over this thread makes it pretty clear I need to see this.....just as soon as it hits netflix in October or so

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my local theater charges $8.50 for a matinee....and 3D is $11.50...

reading over this thread makes it pretty clear I need to see this.....just as soon as it hits netflix in October or so

Yeah... it’s pretty whatever. And visually I wasn’t even that impressed. Just looked like a really great video game on screen.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
So? Didn’t make It engaging for me in any way.
Then why watch it? If the point of the movie is against what you want to see, why did you go on the first place? Did you think it would be different than what it was? What were your expectations?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then why watch it? If the point of the movie is against what you want to see, why did you go on the first place? Did you think it would be different than what it was? What were your expectations?

It wasn’t against what I wanted to see. I expected to CARE what happens in the game. Didn’t.

I also expected the games to be more interesting. They weren’t.

I expected there would be stakes within the game. There weren’t any. You die... oh well. Just power up again.

Then there’s the characters. The lead character was as bland as could possibly be so I didn’t care about him either.

And if a rich corporation getting richer is the best you can do for stakes in a movie, then the movie’s failed at an emotional level.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It wasn’t against what I wanted to see. I expected to CARE what happens in the game. Didn’t.

I expected there would be stakes within the game. There weren’t any. You die... oh well. Just power up again.

Then there’s the characters. The lead character was as bland as could possibly be so I didn’t care about him either.

And if a rich corporation getting richer is the best you can do for stakes in a movie, then the movie’s failed at an emotional level.
You missed a lot. The loyalty houses or whatever they were called would be an enormous reason to stop IOI from gaining more power. Not just being rich. Also if you does in the game you lost everything. There were stakes. That said wade was a piece of cardboard.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You missed a lot. The loyalty houses or whatever they were called would be an enormous reason to stop IOI from gaining more power. Not just being rich. Also if you does in the game you lost everything. There were stakes. That said wade was a piece of cardboard.

Meh.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Hmm perhaps because I picked up the book years ago in a airport bookstore for a cross country flight before it had any real acclaim I had low expectations and the nostalgia carried me throughout the flight without my critical radar going off. I have a much higher pain threshold when flying (think Carl Hiaasen “mysteries” - quotes purposeful).

I completely understand that.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score

It wasn't necessarily IOI getting 'richer', but more-so them taking over Oasis and taking away the freedom that everyone had within it. I agree about the connection to the main characters though...they didn't do enough to humanize them, in a sense, and instead you almost cared more about their virtual persona.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Fun movie, but could have done with about 30min less of real world fluff. Mecha Godzilla was the cherry for me.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The family really enjoyed this movie. It felt very old school to me when movies were just about setting up a good adventure. Nothing to thought provoking, fun and the references to other movies, comics, properties and video games made it really fun for all of us.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Just caught this on HBO...have seen it twice already.

fan-freaking-tastic

all the pop references are straight out of the eighties...the soundtrack rocks

and I am a 300 pound dude named chuck who lives with his mom....hilarious

I dont think they could have redone charlie and the chocolate factory any better.

might watch it again today.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score

fan-freaking-tastic

I dont think they could have redone charlie and the chocolate factory any better.

Its my new favorite movie. I have seen it countless times. Its the nostalgic part of it and also the VR. If you loved the movie, you will love the book. Totally different and both fantastic.

Stout

Reaction score
Its my new favorite movie. I have seen it countless times. Its the nostalgic part of it and also the VR. If you loved the movie, you will love the book. Totally different and both fantastic.

I can see where someone would find the movie fantastic--I thought it was good enough, but nothing special--but I get it. The book, on the other hand, is a bloated abortion of horrible writing and empty nothing that the nostalgia can't even begin to hold up.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I can see where someone would find the movie fantastic--I thought it was good enough, but nothing special--but I get it. The book, on the other hand, is a bloated abortion of horrible writing and empty nothing that the nostalgia can't even begin to hold up.

Really? Yeah he stuffed alot of nostalgia in it, but it wasn't bloated by any means.

I guess I really loved the VR concept of how kids would be able to go to school via VR .They would be able to see/feel/touch what at teacher is teaching, like history, taking them to the Pyramids. Its just mind blowing what VR could do for learning in schools and other fields and by reading about it in a story made it that more prevalent to me I guess.

Stout

Reaction score
Really? Yeah he stuffed alot of nostalgia in it, but it wasn't bloated by any means.

I guess I really loved the VR concept of how kids would be able to go to school via VR .They would be able to see/feel/touch what at teacher is teaching, like history, taking them to the Pyramids. Its just mind blowing what VR could do for learning in schools and other fields and by reading about it in a story made it that more prevalent to me I guess.

The problem is that the book WAS nostalgia and little more. Sure, the VR concept was cool (thank you, Philip K. Dick ;) ) but there was no follow through with it other than "hey, lookie, cool concept and nostalgia!" For being a longer book, there was little real content, and less good content.

But, it spoke to you, and you really enjoyed it and connected with it, so that's pretty cool. I have tons of friends who agree with everything I say but love it anyway. More power to ya :)

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score

fan-freaking-tastic

For some reason I thought this was a huge film like ET or Back to the Future. I thought it was pretty ordinary and boring at times.

Loved the 80's nostalgia though.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose