Rarified Air:

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
For only the second time in franchise history the Cards have stepped into the rarified air of having ten wins in back to back seasons. This accomplishment was not just unanticipated, it was down right unimaginable after the early, (then continued), losses of key players as the season wears on. Those of us who have followed the Cardinals for a long time find ourselves in giddy wonderment.

What comes from here-----who knows? One thing is for certain, we never know from where the big play, or the big game will come. Yesterday it was from Kerwynn Williams of all persons. In his professional debut, he only managed to rush the ball 19 times for an even 100 yards, taking much needed pressure off the shoulders of Drew Stanton, (who himself helped the cause by not turning the ball over). Williams not only won a game ball, but was VERY instrumental in helping his new team to a very big 'W' right out of the chute. Juron Brown also contributed with a clutch TD reception in tight coverage to tie the game in the second half.

Williams, and the other running backs, were aided by the play of LG, Johnathon Cooper, who started for the first time, and played alongside veteran LT, Jared Veldheer. The two managed to open a number of holes for the backs to run through, bolstering an anemic running attack, and taking pressure off quarterback Drew Stanton. Stanton adequately managed the game successfully, although he finished the game hampered by pain, and reduced movement due to taking a number of hits.

The win did not come easy, nor without consequences. Both starting cornerback Antonio Cromartie, and linebacker Mat Shaughnessy were injury casualties who did not finish the game, and who may not be ready for the Rams on Thursday. In addition, Coach Bruce Arians had to announce after the game, that Andre Elliot will be placed on IR, (and lost for the remainder of the season), to undergo hernia surgery as the personnel losses continue to pile up.

This week, already brutally short because of the Thursday night game, will be compounded by the fact that the Rams are coming off consecutive shut-outs against the Raiders, and then the Redskins. The Rams, whose very good defense has become superb of late, have also found an offense to go with that defense. A win against the Cardinals in St. Louis would get them to the five hundred mark for the year so far.

As for us Cardinals fans, this is no time to get all concerned with how the team can possibly manage to win against the much improved Rams. The week is simply too short, and the two teams know each other too well for that. This is one game that we Cards fans can just set back and take in. We are playing with house money after all, as NO ONE could have even considered being in this position atop the NFC after week fourteen. So I would suggest that you commute home from work safely Thursday evening, and enjoy a great game on the TV, along with a couch-side tailgate, and family. I believe the game will be carried by CBS. If the defense can manage to keep the game close going into half time, who knows what the second half might bring. GO CARDS !!!!!

Last edited:

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
I love Catfish's attitude. Perhaps we have other players on the team that haven't played this year? If so, let them play some and see what they can do. You can't help believing in miracles when this team starts new players and they excel at a key position where a starter was injured.

NeverSayDieFan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
A catfish attitude...

is what it takes! :D House-money, indeed. my friend. A sweep of the NFC East, 7-0 at home, new "stars" emerging (ie; the Brownies)...Yeah, I'm a kool-aider through and through but...C'MON' MAN!! WE have ALOT to be happy about this year. ....Oh, and the Redskins SUCK REALLY, REALLY BAD!! !!!!! :D

MARK IN SC :)

BASKING AWAY MAKES MY DAY! :D

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Makes you realize what a good quarterback and coach can do for a franchise. The New England Patriots have just won their tenth game of the season for twelve straight years and counting.

Before Brady, the Pats were a joke.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
is what it takes! :D House-money, indeed. my friend. A sweep of the NFC East, 7-0 at home, new "stars" emerging (ie; the Brownies)...Yeah, I'm a kool-aider through and through but...C'MON' MAN!! WE have ALOT to be happy about this year. ....Oh, and the Redskins SUCK REALLY, REALLY BAD!! !!!!! :D

MARK IN SC :)

BASKING AWAY MAKES MY DAY! :D

We're in a Catfish State of Mind...right, Mark!

OP
OP
Catfish

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Mark and Mitch. I hope you guys are having anywhere close to as much fun as my family is having this year. These are the sweetest memories ever for oldsters like me to be absorbing. This was WORTH a lifetime of waiting for!!!

I love this team like family. No matter what happens from here on out, I will always remember the way this entire franchise came together under Michael, Steve, and Bruce. They still have that single mindedness of purpose, and they still have the dedication and max-effort from the roster players and coaching assistants. I truly have enjoyed this season like no other.

Mark, you just keep on BASKing, and Mitch and I will join you as we soak-in all this wonderful stuff. I thank the Good Lord that we have been able to be here to enjoy this heady time, and wonderful football. With BA teaching in his own special 'cool uncle' way, the only predictable thing about this team is that no one knows who the next big play will be made by, or how or when it will be made. Simply watching the effort being expended, and the togetherness of the roster players and coaches is more than fun enough for me.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Hey Mark and Mitch. I hope you guys are having anywhere close to as much fun as my family is having this year. These are the sweetest memories ever for oldsters like me to be absorbing. This was WORTH a lifetime of waiting for!!!

I love this team like family. No matter what happens from here on out, I will always remember the way this entire franchise came together under Michael, Steve, and Bruce. They still have that single mindedness of purpose, and they still have the dedication and max-effort from the roster players and coaching assistants. I truly have enjoyed this season like no other.

Mark, you just keep on BASKing, and Mitch and I will join you as we soak-in all this wonderful stuff. I thank the Good Lord that we have been able to be here to enjoy this heady time, and wonderful football. With BA teaching in his own special 'cool uncle' way, the only predictable thing about this team is that no one knows who the next big play will be made by, or how or when it will be made. Simply watching the effort being expended, and the togetherness of the roster players and coaches is more than fun enough for me.

Well spoken Catfish. This is so different from any other year including the Super Bowl year. Even in that year the team caught lightning in a bottle while this year they are playing solid football and you actually believe they can win each and every game they play. I go back to 1967 so there were a lot of frustrating years between then and now. One of the greatest games was the 38-0 shellacking of the Cowpies on Monday Night Football and the Mel Gray catch against Washington. Sadly these moments were far and few between.

This is a team to be proud of no matter what happens from here on out.

OP
OP
Catfish

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Well spoken Catfish. This is so different from any other year including the Super Bowl year. Even in that year the team caught lightning in a bottle while this year they are playing solid football and you actually believe they can win each and every game they play. I go back to 1967 so there were a lot of frustrating years between then and now. One of the greatest games was the 38-0 shellacking of the Cowpies on Monday Night Football and the Mel Gray catch against Washington. Sadly these moments were far and few between.

This is a team to be proud of no matter what happens from here on out.

cardpa-----you've got this spot on. I can remember so many of us old hands suffering in SDS on scalding hot aluminum bleachers who have paid their dues and now are collecting the just rewards for their loyalty. God is good-----He made our Cardinals fun to watch, no matter how the game ends.

OP
OP
Catfish

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
I love Catfish's attitude. Perhaps we have other players on the team that haven't played this year? If so, let them play some and see what they can do. You can't help believing in miracles when this team starts new players and they excel at a key position where a starter was injured.

Gotta love these Cards RonF. By the way, from your avatar I wonder if you weren't an A-4 driver? I worked on them with VA-l92 aboard the Bonnie Dick during Rolling Thunder, 1965.