Rams trade Goff, 2 1sts for Stafford

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kyler has four 4th Quarter comebacks and six game-winning drives in his first 2 seasons as a starter.

In Matt Stafford's first 2 seasons as a starter, he had... six 4th quarter comebacks and seven game-winning drives.

This also vastly confuses process and results. In Stafford's first full season as a starter he passed for 5000+ yards and 41 TDs. In Kyler's second season, he passed for fewer than 4000 yards and 26 TDs (yes, he also had 800 rushing yards and 11 rushing TDs, but I'll let you do the math).

I've never heard anyone question Stafford's work ethic or preparation. The fact that a parade of head coaches have never turned on him despite astronomical salaries supports the assertion that Stafford hasn't been the problem in Detroit.

If you're listening closely, you'd hear that after Kyler's fake-breakout season, many people in and around the organization are talking about the things Kyler has to do "off the field" and "during the week" that will take him to the next level. What do you think that means?

uh I think it means he’s a kid who just finished his second year and one the oddest maybe the single oddest year in the NFL history. It’s called growing and evolving as a player I mean that’s kind of what happens. If you the same player from year 1 to 5 that’s not good.

I just don’t get the mindset here. He’s in his second year and was a 1 year starter at Oklahoma and guys are just in shock he’s not perfect

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was said about the Cooks deal, the Gurley contract, and the Ramsey deal and they are still competing every year. Does it limit their ability to sign mid-level players but as long as they get league average production with their other picks, they are fine.

You speak with great authority.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
uh I think it means he’s a kid who just finished his second year and one the oddest maybe the single oddest year in the NFL history. It’s called growing and evolving as a player I mean that’s kind of what happens. If you the same player from year 1 to 5 that’s not good.

I just don’t get the mindset here. He’s in his second year and was a 1 year starter at Oklahoma and guys are just in shock he’s not perfect
This isn't meant as me throwing shade at Kyler, but as with any young QB, I approach my enthusiasm with a ton of caution. I still am concerned about whether or not he has the right attitude and takes to coaching properly. And it was disheartening to see what started to transpire when some nagging injuries took away his running, and his passing didn't seem to make up for it.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This isn't meant as me throwing shade at Kyler, but as with any young QB, I approach my enthusiasm with a ton of caution. I still am concerned about whether or not he has the right attitude and takes to coaching properly. And it was disheartening to see what started to transpire when some nagging injuries took away his running, and his passing didn't seem to make up for it.

You look at the exact moment our season turned it’s when he hurt his shoulder against Seattle. We don’t have the weapons to make up for him not being 100% we need him to play amazing to win we don’t have other guys to carry the load.

we need a power running game in the worst way

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyler has four 4th Quarter comebacks and six game-winning drives in his first 2 seasons as a starter.

In Matt Stafford's first 2 seasons as a starter, he had... six 4th quarter comebacks and seven game-winning drives.

This also vastly confuses process and results. In Stafford's first full season as a starter he passed for 5000+ yards and 41 TDs. In Kyler's second season, he passed for fewer than 4000 yards and 26 TDs (yes, he also had 800 rushing yards and 11 rushing TDs, but I'll let you do the math).

I've never heard anyone question Stafford's work ethic or preparation. The fact that a parade of head coaches have never turned on him despite astronomical salaries supports the assertion that Stafford hasn't been the problem in Detroit.

If you're listening closely, you'd hear that after Kyler's fake-breakout season, many people in and around the organization are talking about the things Kyler has to do "off the field" and "during the week" that will take him to the next level. What do you think that means?

I don't know about the other stuff so I can't comment. But again we all know Stafford was more NFL ready than Kyler was, he was a 3 year starter and threw nearly 1000 passes in college, nearly 500 more pass attempts in college than Kyler had. That said, Stafford was 13 TD and 20 picks in his rookie year, Kyler was MUCH better. Not even close with half the college preparation, with a rookie HC, with no #1 Wr, no quality TE , let alone throwing to Megatron. Both were #1 picks because the teams were horrible the year before, the Cards were historically bad the year before. And despite having far less experience, Kyler was MUCH better.

2nd year after missing 6 games as a rookie with a left shoulder and knee injury, Stafford played only games before sitting out with a separated right shoulder. So again after 2 years it was not even close. Stafford is tough, he played 2 games that year with a separated throwing shoulder clearly hes' tough. Nobody is saying he's a bad guy but first 2 years it wasn't even close, and again he played much more in college.

We all hope Kyler's 3rd year is close to what Stafford did, 41 TDs over 5000 yards 10 wins, great year, it is odd he's only topped 30 TD's once since then because again he hasn't exactly been without talent at WR, until Megatron retired he had a dominant #WR for the first 7-8 years of his career.

This year is a huge year for Kyler, hopefully he gets close to a real offseason with Covid less of a problem and we get to see growth. I don't know he'll put up 41 passing td's just because he's such a good runner in the redzone he "loses" passing TD's to his own runs. But I do think he's been better in his first 2 years than Stafford. The comebacks and stuff I'm assuming you are counting FULL years because Stafford won a total of 3 games in his first 2 years in the NFL.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stafford with a real OC and a Real O Line and a real set of WRs and a real set of RBs is plum scary.
Well... he HAS had some pretty "real" WRs every year of his career: Calvin Johnson, Nate Burleson (meh), Golden Tate, Marvin Jones, Kenny Golladay. I don't know that Woods & Kupp, neither of whom broke 1000 yards last season, will be that big of an upgrade.

But I'm sure he'll be glad to be working with the Rams coaching staff and behind their O-line!

...dave

EDIT: Now that i've caught up on the whole thread, i see a couple of others beat me to this point!

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

How many times has Stafford even approached those numbers in his career since then?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
That was said about the Cooks deal, the Gurley contract, and the Ramsey deal and they are still competing every year. Does it limit their ability to sign mid-level players but as long as they get league average production with their other picks, they are fine.

It still doesn't change the fact that the Rams are probably going to lose a few more starters this year.

Even good GMs run out of "luck". Snead has had a ton of "luck".

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The same is said about every big money deal or trade the Seahawks make also. “They will rue the day!” posts have just become comical at this point as we just sat out the playoffs for 5 years in a row while the Rams and Seahawks have been there 4 of the last 5 years.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
It still doesn't change the fact that the Rams are probably going to lose a few more starters this year.

Even good GMs run out of "luck". Snead has had a ton of "luck".

They'll probably lose Troy Hill and Leonard Floyd, but their talent base is still very solid.

Snead's luck will run out in a couple of years. They'll be in the basement in a few years, but no one care as long as they win low. Part of me wishes that Keim had the cojones to do these moves.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reports: Panthers offered No. 8 pick and more for Matthew Stafford

The Panthers were among several teams vying for Matthew Stafford before the Lions agreed to trade him to the Rams, but the reports of what the Panthers were offering is eye-opening.

Carolina offered up its first-round pick this year, No. 8 overall, and more, according to Albert Breer of SI.com and Ian Rapoport of NFL Network.

With an offer like that, it’s surprising that the Lions would take the Rams’ offer of a 2021 third-round pick, 2022 first-round pick, 2023 first-round pick and Jared Goff instead. The Rams’ picks in 2022 and 2023 will likely be later in the first round than No. 8 overall, and teams almost always prioritize having picks this year over having them in the future. In fact, if the Lions really wanted first-round picks in future years, they could have gotten them by trading out of the Panthers’ No. 8 overall pick, as well as the Lions’ own No. 7 overall pick.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Either the Rams or the Lions can decline to proceed with the Stafford-Goff trade

Although plenty of articles (including most of the articles written by me) will characterize the Matthew Stafford for Jared Goff trade as a done deal, it’s not. It won’t be until March 17 at 4:01 p.m. ET.

More specifically, it won’t be until both teams communicate the same terms of the trade to the league office as of 4:01 p.m. ET on March 17.

This means that either team can decide not to proceed, with no consequence or rules violation.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The Panthers were among several teams vying for Matthew Stafford before the Lions agreed to trade him to the Rams, but the reports of what the Panthers were offering is eye-opening.

Carolina offered up its first-round pick this year, No. 8 overall, and more, according to Albert Breer of SI.com and Ian Rapoport of NFL Network.

With an offer like that, it’s surprising that the Lions would take the Rams’ offer of a 2021 third-round pick, 2022 first-round pick, 2023 first-round pick and Jared Goff instead. The Rams’ picks in 2022 and 2023 will likely be later in the first round than No. 8 overall, and teams almost always prioritize having picks this year over having them in the future. In fact, if the Lions really wanted first-round picks in future years, they could have gotten them by trading out of the Panthers’ No. 8 overall pick, as well as the Lions’ own No. 7 overall pick.

because they are counting on the Rams being bad soon

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As long as McVay is there, Rams are going to be good for a loooooooooong time. He & the Rams FO are so good at identifying talent in the middle rounds that it damn near doesn’t matter they won’t have 1st rounders. I wouldn’t be shocked if both them & Niners make a SB again in the next 4 years.

Seattle is currently the Mike McCarthy Packers. Yea, they’re gonna make the playoffs, but they’re not gonna go far & it shows when they haven’t made the NFC Championship since the 2014 season. Bad drafting, making moves like trading 2 1sts for a box safety that can’t cover jack, & Russ getting older certainly doesn’t help their cause. I can see them not making the NFC Championship until Pete is done & they do a clean sweep.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't know about the other stuff so I can't comment. But again we all know Stafford was more NFL ready than Kyler was, he was a 3 year starter and threw nearly 1000 passes in college, nearly 500 more pass attempts in college than Kyler had. That said, Stafford was 13 TD and 20 picks in his rookie year, Kyler was MUCH better. Not even close with half the college preparation, with a rookie HC, with no #1 Wr, no quality TE , let alone throwing to Megatron. Both were #1 picks because the teams were horrible the year before, the Cards were historically bad the year before. And despite having far less experience, Kyler was MUCH better.

2nd year after missing 6 games as a rookie with a left shoulder and knee injury, Stafford played only games before sitting out with a separated right shoulder. So again after 2 years it was not even close. Stafford is tough, he played 2 games that year with a separated throwing shoulder clearly hes' tough. Nobody is saying he's a bad guy but first 2 years it wasn't even close, and again he played much more in college.

We all hope Kyler's 3rd year is close to what Stafford did, 41 TDs over 5000 yards 10 wins, great year, it is odd he's only topped 30 TD's once since then because again he hasn't exactly been without talent at WR, until Megatron retired he had a dominant #WR for the first 7-8 years of his career.

This year is a huge year for Kyler, hopefully he gets close to a real offseason with Covid less of a problem and we get to see growth. I don't know he'll put up 41 passing td's just because he's such a good runner in the redzone he "loses" passing TD's to his own runs. But I do think he's been better in his first 2 years than Stafford. The comebacks and stuff I'm assuming you are counting FULL years because Stafford won a total of 3 games in his first 2 years in the NFL.
And the interesting thing is that "Kyler's fake breakout season" he was 14th in Total QBR. Stafford was 13th that year he threw for 5000 yards.

The next year he went 20 tds 17 ints and won 4 games.

Just for perspective in terms of young QB growing pains.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Panthers probably would have tossed Bridgewater in on the deal . That is a downgrade from Goff

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might get interesting draft day. Suppose the Lions trade Goff, if that is possible and get more picks in that deal. If Goff stays with Lions he and his gf will be in culture shock moving from LA to the Motor City.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
They'll probably lose Troy Hill and Leonard Floyd, but their talent base is still very solid.

Snead's luck will run out in a couple of years. They'll be in the basement in a few years, but no one care as long as they win low. Part of me wishes that Keim had the cojones to do these moves.

Also will be tough to resign John Johnson and Austin Blythe.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Again, out of context. Constant bitching about the rest of the division making trades while we supposedly stand pat would lead me to the conclusion that maybe he'd be happier rooting for a team that historically tries to win. If the Cardinals have shown me anything in my 57 years of being a fan, it's that winning wasn't always a priority with this franchise. Bill Bidwill didn't care if he won. Michael does care, but I'm not sold he will ever know how to. The Cardinals have & will always be my favorite team, but I had to learn many years ago (because we consistently sucked) to have a 2nd, even 3rd team to root for once we were mathematically eliminated by week 9. Bottom line, my experience is that you won't enjoy the beauty of the NFL if you live or die 100% with our franchise. That's what I meant when I said go find another team.

I understood what you were saying. Bowtie only looked at profit margin. Fans who only picked up the Cardinals once they moved to AZ should have some understanding of that since Bowtie was running the show for a few years before Michael took over.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Seattle is currently the Mike McCarthy Packers. Yea, they’re gonna make the playoffs, but they’re not gonna go far & it shows when they haven’t made the NFC Championship since the 2014 season. Bad drafting, making moves like trading 2 1sts for a box safety that can’t cover jack, & Russ getting older certainly doesn’t help their cause. I can see them not making the NFC Championship until Pete is done & they do a clean sweep.

Man, i wish we had this kind of failure.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose