Rams trade Goff, 2 1sts for Stafford

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't understand this move by the Rams. Goff is younger and has been productive. Plus shown success in playoff games. Stafford is good, but older and 0-3 in playoff games. Plus the Rams lose future hjgh draft picks.
They feel they have a SB caliber team and are in immediate win mode and think Stafford can help them get there more than Goff.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I don't understand this move by the Rams. Goff is younger and has been productive. Plus shown success in playoff games. Stafford is good, but older and 0-3 in playoff games. Plus the Rams lose future hjgh draft picks.

So was Palmer in Cincy and he was all pro here. The fact McVay wanted him that bad is pretty scary.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This is probably going to come off as jerkish, and I am sorry, but if you can't see the world of difference between Stafford and Goff as NFL QBs, I can't really help you.

Outerlimits

Veteran
Reaction score
This is probably going to come off as jerkish, and I am sorry, but if you can't see the world of difference between Stafford and Goff as NFL QBs, I can't really help you.

Lol. Stafford is good, I don't disagree that he is currently a better QB. However, Goff is younger, shown success, and will likely continue to improve. The biggest factor is giving up high draft picks.

Is Stafford that much of an improvement that he is worth what the Rams gave up? The Lions were the winners of the trade in my opinion.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Lol. Stafford is good, I don't disagree that he is currently a better QB. However, Goff is younger, shown success, and will likely continue to improve. The biggest factor is giving up high draft picks.

Is Stafford that much of an improvement that he is worth what the Rams gave up? The Lions were the winners of the trade in my opinion.
Yes. Stafford doesn't have to have perfect conditions to be successful. Stafford can make play on 3rd and long when teams know he is going to throw. CBs have a tougher time jumping his routes because of the velocity he puts on the pass.

Goff limits your offense. Stafford opens your offense up. That is the difference between the two.

Another example would be the difference between Chase Edmonds and LaDainian Tomlinson. Chase can do some of the things that Tomlinson could do, but he can't do all of the things that Tomlinson could do.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes. Stafford doesn't have to have perfect conditions to be successful. Stafford can make play on 3rd and long when teams know he is going to throw. CBs have a tougher time jumping his routes because of the velocity he puts on the pass.

Goff limits your offense. Stafford opens your offense up. That is the difference between the two.

Another example would be the difference between Chase Edmonds and LaDainian Tomlinson. Chase can do some of the things that Tomlinson could do, but he can't do all of the things that Tomlinson could do.

Yes but laDainian Tomlinson was one of the best running back ever

Stafford is nowhere near, certainly he is super overrated
A very talented thrower who couldn't lead his team to nothing then just mediocre/average seasons

Last edited:

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Stafford and losing couple of first draft picks will be a benefit for their NFC rivals
Hopefully Murray continue to improve and taking advantage of it

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Goff throws the ball really well, that's never been his problem.

I think you are vastly overrating Stafford. He's a good 2nd tier QB at best and that's it. Certainly not worth two 1st round picks, let alone throwing in a young QB who can still play league average ball, and occasionally elite, AND a 3rd round pick.

I don't think this transaction moves the needle that much, especially when you look at the Rams cap situation. They are likely to lose 4-5 starters this offseason.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think this transaction moves the needle that much, especially when you look at the Rams cap situation. They are likely to lose 4-5 starters this offseason.

Just read the new Orleans Saint are projected to be 93mil over cap, they have to cut some good players

Rams are 25mil over the cap,I don't know the differences between Goff and Stafford salaries, but they can't do much in free agency

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Goff throws the ball really well, that's never been his problem.

I think you are vastly overrating Stafford. He's a good 2nd tier QB at best and that's it. Certainly not worth two 1st round picks, let alone throwing in a young QB who can still play league average ball, and occasionally elite, AND a 3rd round pick.

Every starting QB is occasionally elite if you pick and choose certain moments. Goff has been at best league average for two years. He had a lower QBR than Daniel Jones and Mitch Trubisky. Stafford might not be great but no need to spruce up Goff to make that point.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Reports: Panthers offered No. 8 pick and more for Matthew Stafford

The Panthers were among several teams vying for Matthew Stafford before the Lions agreed to trade him to the Rams, but the reports of what the Panthers were offering is eye-opening.

Carolina offered up its first-round pick this year, No. 8 overall, and more, according to Albert Breer of SI.com and Ian Rapoport of NFL Network.

With an offer like that, it’s surprising that the Lions would take the Rams’ offer of a 2021 third-round pick, 2022 first-round pick, 2023 first-round pick and Jared Goff instead. The Rams’ picks in 2022 and 2023 will likely be later in the first round than No. 8 overall, and teams almost always prioritize having picks this year over having them in the future. In fact, if the Lions really wanted first-round picks in future years, they could have gotten them by trading out of the Panthers’ No. 8 overall pick, as well as the Lions’ own No. 7 overall pick.
I wonder with this being a Covid season with top end opt outs, less games, no combine if that’s why they opted for more future draft assets?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That’s called purgatory. I’m glad we don’t have that.

I would much rather be in the Rams’ position than Seattle’s.
But we aren’t in the Rams position. We are in the cards position. You prefer our position over the past 30 years to Seattle’s?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But we aren’t in the Rams position. We are in the cards position. You prefer our position over the past 30 years to Seattle’s?
You & Cheese are so much smarter than this man I don’t even know how you guys are misinterpreting this.

Some have different opinions in this thread about how the lack of 1st round picks will bite the Rams in the future. I think it won’t for the fact the Rams have drafted well in the middle rounds while also having a forward thinking HC in McVay & a aggressive FO. They have yet to have a losing record under the McVay regime & this all the while with a liability at QB.

I compared their FO to Seattle’s. Seattle, for about the past 5 years, has put way too much on Russell Wilson to where he has had to pull a rabbit out of his ... every single season due to mostly bad drafting & a HC I think the game has passed by, but like Mike McCarthy was for the Packers, Pete Carroll has a HOF QB to lean on. Sure, they have made the playoffs all but one year the past 5 years, but almost all of them have not been close & they have not made the NFC championship in that time span due to Russell Wilson getting overmatched. All while having a HOF QB. Russell Wilson under McVay & that FO would probably have 3 rings by now.

I’m talking the past 5 years & the present, not 20 or 30(I don’t even know where you got that from).

I don’t want Kyler to be in the same situation Russell Wilson has been in for the past 5 years. I don’t want a really flawed team around him & he has to do the heavy lifting every single week. I want a good FO similar to the Rams. That was the point of my initial post.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
You & Cheese are so much smarter than this man I don’t even know how you guys are misinterpreting this.

Some have different opinions in this thread about how the lack of 1st round picks will bite the Rams in the future. I think it won’t for the fact the Rams have drafted well in the middle rounds while also having a forward thinking HC in McVay & a aggressive FO. They have yet to have a losing record under the McVay regime & this all the while with a liability at QB.

I compared their FO to Seattle’s. Seattle, for about the past 5 years, has put way too much on Russell Wilson to where he has had to pull a rabbit out of his ... every single season due to mostly bad drafting & a HC I think the game has passed by, but like Mike McCarthy was for the Packers, Pete Carroll has a HOF QB to lean on. Sure, they have made the playoffs all but one year the past 5 years, but almost all of them have not been close & they have not made the NFC championship in that time span due to Russell Wilson getting overmatched. All while having a HOF QB. Russell Wilson under McVay & that FO would probably have 3 rings by now.

I’m talking the past 5 years & the present, not 20 or 30(I don’t even know where you got that from).

I don’t want Kyler to be in the same situation Russell Wilson has been in for the past 5 years. I don’t want a really flawed team around him & he has to do the heavy lifting every single week. I want a good FO similar to the Rams. That was the point of my initial post.

Look at the circumstances for McVay.

He took over a completely stacked team. Jeff Fisher was an AWFUL coach. That team went 7-9 every year because they were talented.

But their talent level has decreased significantly every season since and even though they improved this season...they only won ONE more game.

You profess so much confidence in McVay, buy the Rams offense wasn't good last year and Goff isn't the only reason.

They will lose more talent this offseason AND will have less picks to address those losses in the coming years.

How good is Stafford really?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Look at the circumstances for McVay.

He took over a completely stacked team. Jeff Fisher was an AWFUL coach. That team went 7-9 every year because they were talented.

But their talent level has decreased significantly every season since and even though they improved this season...they only won ONE more game.

You profess so much confidence in McVay, buy the Rams offense wasn't good last year and Goff isn't the only reason.

They will lose more talent this offseason AND will have less picks to address those losses in the coming years.

How good is Stafford really?
Were they really stacked or was it that McVay is so good that it just looked like that?

Their talent level has not decreased. Their secondary & DL have improved since McVay got there. Only thing that has stayed the same is their mediocre ILBs. Their WRs/TEs are nearly the same. Their OLine has gotten a little worse, while they don’t have the top end talent they did a few years ago at RB, they have more depth there.

Goff might not be the only reason, he was the main reason. He single-handily lost games against the Niners, Dolphins, & Seattle this season.

Losing talent won’t matter as long as they continue to gain talent in middle rounds like they have been doing.

I think Stafford is overrated, but I do think he’s better than Goff. I wouldn’t be shocked if Goff isn’t on a team 5 years from now.

I want to downplay the hell out of the Rams, too, but I just can’t. I admire how they run things over there, unfortunately, but I’m still rooting for their downfall.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Losing talent won’t matter as long as they continue to gain talent in middle rounds like they have been doing.

does it matter that the head of College scouting for the Rams is now the Lions GM, and, he took his right hand guy with him?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Were they really stacked or was it that McVay is so good that it just looked like that?

Their talent level has not decreased. Their secondary & DL have improved since McVay got there. Only thing that has stayed the same is their mediocre ILBs. Their WRs/TEs are nearly the same. Their OLine has gotten a little worse, while they don’t have the top end talent they did a few years ago at RB, they have more depth there.

Goff might not be the only reason, he was the main reason. He single-handily lost games against the Niners, Dolphins, & Seattle this season.

I think Stafford is overrated, but I do think he’s better than Goff. I wouldn’t be shocked if Goff isn’t on a team 5 years from now.

I want to downplay the hell out of the Rams, too, but I just can’t. I admire how they run things over there, unfortunately, but I’m still rooting for their downfall.

Snead had been with the Rams for years before McVay got there, so yes they were stacked. The year McVay got there they signed Woods and drafted Kupp, and BOOM, they had a monster offense.

What Cardinals fans should fear a bit concerning the Rams is that they will have quite a bit of cap space next offseason if I rememer correctly.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Snead had been with the Rams for years before McVay got there, so yes they were stacked. The year McVay got there they signed Woods and drafted Kupp, and BOOM, they had a monster offense.

What Cardinals fans should fear a bit concerning the Rams is that they will have quite a bit of cap space next offseason if I rememer correctly.
Snead drafted a lot of bums before McVay got there. Woods wasn’t anything special in Buffalo & Kupp was a 3rd rounder. I think McVay had as much to do with their success more than Snead has.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard