Rams trade Goff, 2 1sts for Stafford

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Based on his quotes stating that he plays injured for a team out of the playoffs because he owes it to his teammates who are putting their bodies on the line and are playing for their contracts.

oh he because he said he was well then that’s different I thought it was maybe because he actually led them to something that mattered over his decade long career

But yeah.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stafford with a real OC and a Real O Line and a real set of WRs and a real set of RBs is plum scary.

OL and RB yes but the Lions have had good WR's quite a bit during his career. He came into the league with Calvin Johnson at Wr on the roster already. First 7 years they had Megatron he had good stats most of those years. Megatron retired first year without him Stafford had "only" 24 TD's 10 picks.

He has a great arm and the rams should have a better run game with Akers and a really good coaching staff but Stafford has had 2 years in his career where he didn't have at least 10 picks, 2nd year he only started 3 games, 2018 only started 8 games. in his career when he's been the starter the whole year he always has at least 10 picks. Will be interesting to see if McVay can coach that out of him. Took a ton of sacks too but then always on bad teams where they were behind usually.

It's intriguing great arm, great coach, but he's played 12 years, had major back surgery just 2 years ago, 5 years ago this would have been a game changing trade for the Rams(instead of getting Goff) but right now it's very much dependent on how healthy he is.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
he’s a leader? Based on what?

Chris Simms, for one:

"Matthew Stafford, from what I saw last year, the throws, the leadership, the decisions, his subtle movements in the pocket, he's not always going to scare you running, but he's great at just, I got a little pressure, and then walks up this way and throws a 20-yard laser down the middle of the field. He makes so many freaking plays and throws that change the game and I go, 'Wow, it's just unbelievable,'" said Simms. "They just don’t always capitalize because they’re not a great team up there in Detroit.”

link

You don’t hang with one team as long as Stafford has without being an effective leader and field general.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I think he favorably compares to Carson Palmer in his later years with the Bengals.

Stafford, afaik, is a plus leader. George was a total dink and more in the Jay Cutler vein.

Yeah I don't think Stafford IS George or Cutler but he's basically always been a guy with a great arm, who takes too many sacks and throws too many picks. I think he cares about the game far more than they did, and Palmer is a good comp. Just depends how the back is, Palmer had a knee issue obviously but a back issue for a QB seems much more career limiting to me.

I had to google but just last year there were reports he told the Lions he might retire, after the 2019 season. he had the back problem, his wife had just had brain surgery, he had 2 young kids and told them he was considering retiring because he wanted to be able to walk when his kids grew up.

obviously he didn't, but I think in that sense he's much closer to retiring than Palmer was, and Carson actually DID retire in order to force the trade.

Will be interesting I like Stafford, I just think there's a big health risk there for the Rams but it also may be they knew they couldn't win with Goff and were're sure they could with Wolford so they decided to take a shot with Stafford.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What is wrong
Clown post. You are better than this.
Like Cheese, you both are taking this out of context. Maybe I was too exhausted to better explain my position. Just tired of listening to everybody whine about what other teams in our division are doing. I'm fine with debating what the Cardinals are or are not doing to improve themselves.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
oh he because he said he was well then that’s different I thought it was maybe because he actually led them to something that mattered over his decade long career

But yeah.
I have yet to see the Lions players quit on the year and they have had plenty of coaches who have deserved it. If not for the coach, who do you think those players are selling out for?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Like Cheese, you both are taking this out of context. Maybe I was too exhausted to better explain my position. Just tired of listening to everybody whine about what other teams in our division are doing. I'm fine with debating what the Cardinals are or are not doing to improve themselves.
I get that our organization has a history and it doesn't seem like it will change. That said, any argument that implies a person on this board should "go find another team" is going to be called out. We are all fans who irrationally believe that we will one day change our organizational path and end our title drought.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Stanford is a way better QB than Goff. People need to get the marginally better thought out of their mind.
Hard to argue with this. Obviously, the Rams are looking for the short term benefits of this trade. I think the Rams gave up too much, but if they win a SB with Stafford, then it was a short term victory. Great trade for the Lions though.

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Lest we forget, Goff was drafted under Fisher. McVay made Goff look good.

Stafford is good, but he is also old and beat up. He is a short term solution. The problem for the Rams is that they have to draft their quarterback of the future and they have no draft picks or capital to move up.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I do find it a little ironic that people on this board are doubting bailing on the development of a QB in favor of a proven veteran when our organization has only ever really had success when we have gone that direction. Warner and Palmer. I know the cost was different, but still.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm expecting an offense heavy draft too. They have plenty of young talent on D.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
For what it is worth, I do expect Keim to make a move this offseason. I don't believe he is going to run to believe running it back this year is going to make up the gap in this division. We will see if what he does actually works. I expect a lot of re-worked contracts to free up space short term and potentially a trade back in round 1 to get more picks if certain players are off the board. I also don't believe we will head into the draft with Mason Cole as our starting C.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I get that our organization has a history and it doesn't seem like it will change. That said, any argument that implies a person on this board should "go find another team" is going to be called out. We are all fans who irrationally believe that we will one day change our organizational path and end our title drought.
Again, out of context. Constant bitching about the rest of the division making trades while we supposedly stand pat would lead me to the conclusion that maybe he'd be happier rooting for a team that historically tries to win. If the Cardinals have shown me anything in my 57 years of being a fan, it's that winning wasn't always a priority with this franchise. Bill Bidwill didn't care if he won. Michael does care, but I'm not sold he will ever know how to. The Cardinals have & will always be my favorite team, but I had to learn many years ago (because we consistently sucked) to have a 2nd, even 3rd team to root for once we were mathematically eliminated by week 9. Bottom line, my experience is that you won't enjoy the beauty of the NFL if you live or die 100% with our franchise. That's what I meant when I said go find another team.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have yet to see the Lions players quit on the year and they have had plenty of coaches who have deserved it. If not for the coach, who do you think those players are selling out for?

Are you serious they were a dumpster fire this year with all kinds of finger pointing. Set franchise records for points and yards allowed this year

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chris Simms, for one:

link

You don’t hang with one team as long as Stafford has without being an effective leader and field general.

We must have very different definitions of effective because that teams has been pretty bad the last 10 years even when he had Megatron

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I do find it a little ironic that people on this board are doubting bailing on the development of a QB in favor of a proven veteran when our organization has only ever really had success when we have gone that direction. Warner and Palmer. I know the cost was different, but still.

Not entirely true. We did draft & develop Charley Johnson, Jim Hart, Neil Lomax, and Jake Plummer. McVay & the Rams are frustrated & want to win now. With their D, just a simple move from Goff to Stafford may be all they need to do.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
he was 15th in QBR Stafford isn’t great by any means but Goff is just plain bad at this point.
True, but with the Ram's D, Stafford doesn't necessarily have to be great for them to be a legit threat to win it all.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Are you serious they were a dumpster fire this year with all kinds of finger pointing. Set franchise records for points and yards allowed this year
Yep, this is true. It's a shame we didn't play the Lions later in the season. They actually played well early on until they were decimated by injuries & just plain demoralized by Matt Patricia.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose