Rams trade Goff, 2 1sts for Stafford

Bkbobo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Did the Cardinals start this trend? Used to be taboo to let go of a high pick QB. Goff was traded, Watson wants traded, Wentz could be gone. Lamar Jackson and Tua have came up as potential trade partners. We cut Rosen after one year and the rest of the NFL is losing their mind, lol.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
They overpaid but Stafford is going to be motivated and the fact McVay wanted him so bad is a scary thought. If he ages as well as Rodgers or Favre everyone will forget about the picks... I just think the rest of the roster is pretty much as good as it can get with their lack of resources going forward.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Qb isn't just about talent, is about having the right mindset to be a winner
Something we questioning about Murray even if he is just 23 but we can easily say about Stafford

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Yeah I don't think Stafford IS George or Cutler but he's basically always been a guy with a great arm, who takes too many sacks and throws too many picks. I think he cares about the game far more than they did, and Palmer is a good comp. Just depends how the back is, Palmer had a knee issue obviously but a back issue for a QB seems much more career limiting to me.

I had to google but just last year there were reports he told the Lions he might retire, after the 2019 season. he had the back problem, his wife had just had brain surgery, he had 2 young kids and told them he was considering retiring because he wanted to be able to walk when his kids grew up.

obviously he didn't, but I think in that sense he's much closer to retiring than Palmer was, and Carson actually DID retire in order to force the trade.

Will be interesting I like Stafford, I just think there's a big health risk there for the Rams but it also may be they knew they couldn't win with Goff and were're sure they could with Wolford so they decided to take a shot with Stafford.

CP is The Godfather of self empowerment in the NFL. How many players have won a staring contest with an owner (especially as stubborn as Mike Brown)? Of course it took the Cards to save him from Oakland but his legacy is better because of it. From that moment Palmer made another $90+ mil..

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
lol... ehhhh he has always had good to great WRs.... having a D that can win games by itself is what matters most.
Yeah. He’ll have good wrs with the Rams but had arguably better receivers with the lions. Rbs and oline is an entirely different matter altogether.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Qb isn't just about talent, is about having the right mindset to be a winner
Something we questioning about Murray even if he is just 23 but we can easily say about Stafford

Kyler has 4th quarter comebacks and 6 game winning drives in his short career if your questioning if he has a mindset as a winner you haven’t been paying attention

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
oh he because he said he was well then that’s different I thought it was maybe because he actually led them to something that mattered over his decade long career

But yeah.
Some of the best leaders have never won. While winning is what most look to in determining leadership each (winning and leadership) are only a component of the other. Too many variables to discount leadership due to winning percentage.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Like Cheese, you both are taking this out of context. Maybe I was too exhausted to better explain my position. Just tired of listening to everybody whine about what other teams in our division are doing. I'm fine with debating what the Cardinals are or are not doing to improve themselves.
I will never understand this. I mean the topic is clearly related to the Cardinals and there’s enough people discussing it that it’s a viable topic. If you don’t want to participate in the conversation just ignore the post and move on.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I do find it a little ironic that people on this board are doubting bailing on the development of a QB in favor of a proven veteran when our organization has only ever really had success when we have gone that direction. Warner and Palmer. I know the cost was different, but still.
I believe it’s because we haven’t had a young developing QB of this caliber since the cards moved to AZ and we’ve seen the short duration on the Warner’s and palmers.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Just incredible, barring major changes, it's hard to imagine anyone having us ahead of 4th in the division going into the season.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
For what it is worth, I do expect Keim to make a move this offseason. I don't believe he is going to run to believe running it back this year is going to make up the gap in this division. We will see if what he does actually works. I expect a lot of re-worked contracts to free up space short term and potentially a trade back in round 1 to get more picks if certain players are off the board. I also don't believe we will head into the draft with Mason Cole as our starting C.

Ooh, hopefully some more Devondre Campbell style poison pill (yourself) contracts!

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kyler has 4th quarter comebacks and 6 game winning drives in his short career if your questioning if he has a mindset as a winner you haven’t been paying attention
Hey, the "we" was about the forum, I m one of biggest Murray fan here

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
My gut feeling is the Rams will regret this trade some day.
That was said about the Cooks deal, the Gurley contract, and the Ramsey deal and they are still competing every year. Does it limit their ability to sign mid-level players but as long as they get league average production with their other picks, they are fine.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Just incredible, barring major changes, it's hard to imagine anyone having us ahead of 4th in the division going into the season.
Off-season hasn’t started for us yet. Hopefully we see some material moves to better the team. And we have a built-in advantage that kyler (and likely Simmons) likely still has growth left as a week-in/week-out impact player. So that improvement comes at zero cost to the team.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That was said about the Cooks deal, the Gurley contract, and the Ramsey deal and they are still competing every year. Does it limit their ability to sign mid-level players but as long as they get league average production with their other picks, they are fine.
McVay is a very good coach, so he’s able to overcome these blunders by the organization. A great coach makes a HUGE difference.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
McVay is a very good coach, so he’s able to overcome these blunders by the organization. A great coach makes a HUGE difference.

Agree, McVay is a very good coach and that has made a difference. I think the trade is good for both teams. Rams will be better with Stafford and Lions are in a rebuild mode so the draft picks will help. They can also get their qb of the future with the 7th pick in the draft his year and have him sit behind Goff.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Kyler has four 4th Quarter comebacks and six game-winning drives in his first 2 seasons as a starter.

In Matt Stafford's first 2 seasons as a starter, he had... six 4th quarter comebacks and seven game-winning drives.

This also vastly confuses process and results. In Stafford's first full season as a starter he passed for 5000+ yards and 41 TDs. In Kyler's second season, he passed for fewer than 4000 yards and 26 TDs (yes, he also had 800 rushing yards and 11 rushing TDs, but I'll let you do the math).

I've never heard anyone question Stafford's work ethic or preparation. The fact that a parade of head coaches have never turned on him despite astronomical salaries supports the assertion that Stafford hasn't been the problem in Detroit.

If you're listening closely, you'd hear that after Kyler's fake-breakout season, many people in and around the organization are talking about the things Kyler has to do "off the field" and "during the week" that will take him to the next level. What do you think that means?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Kyler has four 4th Quarter comebacks and six game-winning drives in his first 2 seasons as a starter.

In Matt Stafford's first 2 seasons as a starter, he had... six 4th quarter comebacks and seven game-winning drives.

This also vastly confuses process and results. In Stafford's first full season as a starter he passed for 5000+ yards and 41 TDs. In Kyler's second season, he passed for fewer than 4000 yards and 26 TDs (yes, he also had 800 rushing yards and 11 rushing TDs, but I'll let you do the math).

I've never heard anyone question Stafford's work ethic or preparation. The fact that a parade of head coaches have never turned on him despite astronomical salaries supports the assertion that Stafford hasn't been the problem in Detroit.

If you're listening closely, you'd hear that after Kyler's fake-breakout season, many people in and around the organization are talking about the things Kyler has to do "off the field" and "during the week" that will take him to the next level. What do you think that means?
This is interesting. This is ASFN, I would think that stuff would be plastered all over this place. Which thread has “many people in and around the organization” talking smack on kyler post-season?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson