R I S E ___ U P ___ D A R K ___ S I D E (2023)

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They show up because the eagles have EARNED that level of loyalty by . . . wait for it . . . winning. When your team makes the playoffs in 17 of 29 years it’s easier to endure the down times because you’re confident they’ll turn it around. When your team has made the playoffs 6 of 29 seasons you just haven’t earned the fans trust and dedication.
How about the most loyal fans in football? Cleveland Browns fans. Why are they so loyal? They've won nothing in our lifetime.

A 2006 study conducted by Bizjournal determined that Browns fans are the most loyal fans in the NFL. The study, while not scientific, was largely based on fan loyalty during winning and losing seasons, attendance at games, and challenges confronting fans (such as inclement weather or long-term poor performance of their team). The study noted that Browns fans filled 99.8% of the seats at Cleveland Browns Stadium during the last seven seasons, despite a combined record of 36–76 over that span.

Back to the Cardinals poor fanbase - There are also plenty of locals that have never and will never embrace the team because they already had a team before the Cards made the move to their third city. There are others that have never and will never embrace the team because they wanted but did not get an expansion team. There are many more elements at play than just winning. These days even when the team is winning there are people who would just rather watch it at home on their big screen. Or there are those who would rather have money in their hand and an opposing fan in their seat. The list goes on and on.

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
What's amazing is they show they can play up to a point then they tank. I'm convinced they could be 2-0. What happens if the best qb skips the draft to not play on the Cards. That's why tanking is a strategy but at what point do you go ahead and win. Hard to prove, hard to know if coaches put the worst players in there.

Cardsmasochist

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Another solid point. Should have been built in the East Valley just like the Coyotes arena. Build it where the majority of fans and players live.
And the owners of both franchises desperately wanted to be on the east side. They begged and begged but were shown no love by the voters.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
And the owners of both franchises desperately wanted to be on the east side. They begged and begged but were shown no love by the voters.
I don’t remember the voters determining the site. There was a lot of people wanting development out west not in the dense east valley because of the availability of large tracks of land. I remember the Cardinals being wooed to the west side by giving them huge tax incentives including ownership of the surrounding land for future development.

As bad as Sun devil stadium was the surrounding food places was rock solid for the fans. The football experience was greatly diminished by moving out west.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
How about the most loyal fans in football? Cleveland Browns fans. Why are they so loyal? They've won nothing in our lifetime.

A 2006 study conducted by Bizjournal determined that Browns fans are the most loyal fans in the NFL. The study, while not scientific, was largely based on fan loyalty during winning and losing seasons, attendance at games, and challenges confronting fans (such as inclement weather or long-term poor performance of their team). The study noted that Browns fans filled 99.8% of the seats at Cleveland Browns Stadium during the last seven seasons, despite a combined record of 36–76 over that span.

Back to the Cardinals poor fanbase - There are also plenty of locals that have never and will never embrace the team because they already had a team before the Cards made the move to their third city. There are others that have never and will never embrace the team because they wanted but did not get an expansion team. There are many more elements at play than just winning. These days even when the team is winning there are people who would just rather watch it at home on their big screen. Or there are those who would rather have money in their hand and an opposing fan in their seat. The list goes on and on.
All those are valid reasons too. But none of them make Arizonans “bad fans” as the shade you’re casting.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another solid point. Should have been built in the East Valley just like the Coyotes arena. Build it where the majority of fans and players live.
Yes, Mesa or Tempe would have been perfect. Gosh, why did it get built on the West Side?

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, Mesa or Tempe would have been perfect. Gosh, why did it get built on the West Side?
Because there was plenty of wasteland...err, I mean...available land with no human inhabitants nearby on that side of town.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because there was plenty of wasteland...err, I mean...available land with no human inhabitants nearby on that side of town.
Come on. You know Mesa flat out voted it down. And, Tempe got screwed politically by Phoenix using Sky Harbor as a weapon.

Mesa had it right in their pocket. All of those Super Bowls, Championship Games, etc etc etc since then, coulda, shoulda been in Mesa. It was so shortsighted and stupid. And, the vote wasn't even close.

After that, the East Valley was out of the question. It was either the reservation or Glendale or another city. The team actually put more money in the the Glendale deal than they were going to put into the Mesa deal. So, it cost them money. It still costs them money. But it REALLY costs Mesa money. What a stupid town. At least then it was.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Come on. You know Mesa flat out voted it down. And, Tempe got screwed politically by Phoenix using Sky Harbor as a weapon.

Mesa had it right in their pocket. All of those Super Bowls, Championship Games, etc etc etc since then, coulda, shoulda been in Mesa. It was so shortsighted and stupid. And, the vote wasn't even close.

After that, the East Valley was out of the question. It was either the reservation or Glendale or another city. The team actually put more money in the the Glendale deal than they were going to put into the Mesa deal. So, it cost them money. It still costs them money. But it REALLY costs Mesa money. What a stupid town. At least then it was.
At least Mesa tried repeatedly to get something done. Long before Tempe or anyone else jumped in. They may seem like a small town, but Mesa is about the 35th largest city in the USA. Larger than Atlanta, Kansas City, Miami, etc.

So stupid to vote it down, I agree. Especially when the opposition was led by one lady (Larue Gates, I think) who was a NIMBY and then she moved away not long after the vote. So much for her complaints about traffic, noise, etc. Then they built the Riverview shopping area with businesses there 24/7/365 and a Cubs stadium, etc. and it's a fantastic area. There should be a football stadium right there adding to it.

Then Mesa and Tempe joined together for the Rio Salado project where the 101 and 202 meet but that got shot down, too. That would have been great.

Then the biggest joke of all was Phoenix stepping in to piss all over the other option - citing the flight path. Instead, they built hundreds of apartments in the same area. So, I guess those lives are okay to be in the flight path on a daily basis? SMH. Then right after it was shot down a plane flew directly over SDS as close as we've ever seen one.

I really wish something would have worked out here, but it takes so long to come up with a proposal and put it to a vote that I can see why they abandoned it and took the easiest path. Plenty of land was just sitting there unused in Glendale. Same reason the Yotes are playing in a college rink right now. Voters vote sports complexes down to their own detriment. It is so stupid that people cannot see beyond themselves in these proposed stadiums and arenas.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The most Cardinal thing ever would be that Kyler comes back soon and lights it up and wins several games down the stretch, but we miss the playoffs where just one or two games would have made a difference - and looking back - we lost the first two games of the season by a combined 7 points...

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
The most Cardinal thing ever would be that Kyler comes back soon and lights it up and wins several games down the stretch, but we miss the playoffs where just one or two games would have made a difference - and looking back - we lost the first two games of the season by a combined 7 points...

The most Cardinal thing ever would be to blow a top 3 draft pick in each round by winning one or two meaningless games this year/with this roster.

We are no where near a playoff team people! LOOK at the roster. SMH

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t remember the voters determining the site. There was a lot of people wanting development out west not in the dense east valley because of the availability of large tracks of land. I remember the Cardinals being wooed to the west side by giving them huge tax incentives including ownership of the surrounding land for future development.

As bad as Sun devil stadium was the surrounding food places was rock solid for the fans. The football experience was greatly diminished by moving out west.

It went to a vote in Mesa. Should have been where the Cubs stadium currently is.

I still remember her name, LaRue Gates, the old lady who didn't want a big ugly stadium next to her trailer park. She organized the Stand Against the Stadium group and got the stadium issue on the next Mesa ballot which wouldn't be voted on for a year. The Cardinals couldn't wait that long for a vote and had to find another location.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glendale promised a lot and then had to be sued to only partially live up to their promise.

You must be registered for see images attach

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't we buy the Glendale stadium land from Clancy Pendergast (former DC) or did I make that up in my head?
It was from his family. IIRC, they actually still had a piece with a house on it for at least the first few years. I don't think it is there anymore.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The loss is no bad thing. KM's performance was the problem.
Why do some people have such a hard time with a simple assessment of Kyler?
We blasted Dobbs in his first game and there weren’t a whole lot of people clamouring to give him time. Most were blasting Monty for giving up a 5th round pick.
Dobbs second game back was better and his 3rd game back was a win.
Yet Kyler gets this free pass like he’s never stepped on a field before.
Before anybody blast me on this view let me make it clear , I WANT KYLER TO SUCCEED. However, I’m not going to bury my head and defend what appears to be some shortcomings.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Life as a Cardinal fan is spent walking in the shadows most of the time. There have been a LOT of pathetic seasons in my time as a fan of this team but this season is one of the most surreal ones. It's like I feel I need to look around and see if Rod Serling is standing in the corner, cigarette smoking, eerily narrating the event we are about to see. From the tampering thing with Gannon, a coach NO OTHER TEAM was even sniffing, to the QB conundrum with Colt McCoy being "the guy", to the trading for Dobbs at the last minute, to the trading OF Dobbs, not to mention the Bidwill crap, it has been crazy.

This team plays hard but just isn't talented enough to play an entire game well enough to win. The defense plays over its head for a half and that's about it. The offense with Dobbs was atrocious, notwithstanding his newfound 15 minutes of fame as the "Passtronaut", but I guess he served the purpose of getting them to 1-8. Murray returns and in a short sample of 2 games looks like he is pretty much what he's been his entire career, some "WOW!" plays mixed in with some "WTF?!" plays. Inconsistent. Blame it on the rust, injury fallout or whatever, it is what it is.

I can't see any way they can turn this around and be a playoff contender next season. Too many holes to fill. There are a few who seem to have utmost confidence in the "new regime" and that's fine, except I can't figure out why anyone could after this first campaign. Wish I could smoke that hopium but I just can't.

Well, back in the shadows for me. Better luck next year, or the next, or the...

Last edited: