Probably unpopular here regarding this regime…

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The trickiest part of the "we will get them next year" FA crowd is we almost have to commit to keeping players we probably should cut. Our 8 best players right now are Murray, Conner, Brown, Ertz, Humphries, Baker, Thompson, and Kyzir White. There is an easy argument to move on from 5 of those players next year. So you end up keeping those players and paying out their bad contracts or letting them go but depleting your roster even further. Marco Wilson might be a top 10 player on the Cardinals roster and that tells you all you need to know.

If you move on from Murray there's zero reason to pay Hollywood Brown any money.

The contracts for Humphries and Baker are extremely tradeable in 2024.

This is truly Dave McGinnis stuff where many of our best players probably wouldn't start on half the teams in the NFL or more. Really delightful.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Monti knows that if any team can't gut, suck, have a slight upturn, and get the benefit of the doubt from free agents, the Cardinals are it. Hopefully, he plans accordingly.

Arealist

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The elephant in the room is that we will likely get the first pick overall next year and with Caleb Williams available how can you not draft him? After this season, if Kyler plays, how can you possibly get anything for him?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The elephant in the room is that we will likely get the first pick overall next year and with Caleb Williams available how can you not draft him? After this season, if Kyler plays, how can you possibly get anything for him?
You just settle for less. Kyler for two seconds or something.

Hopefully we’ll be spared the embarrassment of having to give up picks to unload Kyler like the Rams did with Goff, but it’s within the realm of possibility.

The Vikes would likely be happy to trade their first (somewhere in the mid-teens probably) for Kyler Murray and his guaranteed money over the next two years. He’d be a fascinating fit in Atlanta. Maybe New England would be interested.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
That's assuming Williams doesn't throw a fit and make sure he doesn't end up here...definitely not outside the realm of possibility, especially if we're the worst team in football.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This is a big reason why Monte wasn't as aggressive in FA this offseason. Will all of the dysfunction surrounding the Cardinals and the team entering a full rebuild the only way to land any quality free agents this season would be to dramatically over pay for their services. No quality FA was going to want to come play for a team just entering full rebuild mode.
Eh, further excuse making for failing to participate in FA because a poster wants to be optimistic about the new regime. I get it--you want to believe. I do too, but this feels like grasping at straws, the "well, we couldn't have done it even if we wanted to" mentality.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's assuming Williams doesn't throw a fit and make sure he doesn't end up here...definitely not outside the realm of possibility, especially if we're the worst team in football.
And if the Trojans are good and he likes the coaching staff, you know he’ll have Kliff chirping in his ear about awful this franchise is… despite his complicity in that matter.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You just settle for less. Kyler for two seconds or something.

Hopefully we’ll be spared the embarrassment of having to give up picks to unload Kyler like the Rams did with Goff, but it’s within the realm of possibility.

The Vikes would likely be happy to trade their first (somewhere in the mid-teens probably) for Kyler Murray and his guaranteed money over the next two years. He’d be a fascinating fit in Atlanta. Maybe New England would be interested.
Or really hope for a Cleveland like scenario.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How is he right? If this team is as completely atrocious as the plan seems to be, why are any FA going to come here next year when the new Cardinals look exactly like the old Cardinals… or possibly even worse?
Next year might be much of the same. Unless we shock the world and are actually competitive we will have to overpay and that might not even be enough.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If you move on from Murray there's zero reason to pay Hollywood Brown any money.

The contracts for Humphries and Baker are extremely tradeable in 2024.

This is truly Dave McGinnis stuff where many of our best players probably wouldn't start on half the teams in the NFL or more. Really delightful.
But then you have to make sure you put talent around Maye or Caleb. I thought for sure we would be moving on from Conner and Ertz and potentially Baker, but now, we will have a tough enough time trying to fill the holes we already have on this roster much less any others.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Or really hope for a Cleveland like scenario.

Maybe, but while Deshaun Watson was a sex pest, he also was an amazing QB for three straight years before absolutely mashing the self-destruct button with Houston.

The 2020 Texans were 4-12, but it wasn't Watson's fault. He passed for 4800+ yards with 33 TDs and just 7 INTs. He tacked on over 400 rushing yards for good measure. Also Brandin Cooks was his top target in that campaign. Houston sucked because their RB was David Johnson and their defense was Bottom 5.

It's crazy to think about today, but when Watson went on the market, he was at the peak of his powers. Kyler's value has never been lower.

We do know that at the lowest value is when Monti Ossenfort loves to sell.

Dont know where to put this.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Maybe this goes in the Kyler Good News thread? :devil:

But then you have to make sure you put talent around Maye or Caleb. I thought for sure we would be moving on from Conner and Ertz and potentially Baker, but now, we will have a tough enough time trying to fill the holes we already have on this roster much less any others.

Eh. We are scheduled to have like 12 draft picks and guys like Rondale Moore (LOLOLOLOLOL), Michael Wilson, and Trey McBride still under contract and approaching their peaks. Throw another OL in the mix (that you acquire by trading Kyler maybe) with PJJ and maybe keep the Captain around and you have the start of something maybe.

So you burn out one year of Dracaleb's rookie deal but you wind up with one more top 10 pick to drive into a defensive centerpiece and we're back exactly where we were in Kyler's second season. :bang:

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You think that’s gonna be any easier if we are completely atrocious and players look at the new Coach/GM combo as more of the same?

I agree that if Gannon and company end up looking like a Kliff in Headlights it's not going to be easy to attract Free Agents next year.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eh, further excuse making for failing to participate in FA because a poster wants to be optimistic about the new regime. I get it--you want to believe. I do too, but this feels like grasping at straws, the "well, we couldn't have done it even if we wanted to" mentality.

Not excuse making. I'm purely basing this off the fact that I believe Monti is following the Belichick model that I have mentioned before. Don't shoot the messenger!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right, the default excuse. I already knew what you'd say. Pointless to argue. There just was never anyone possible out there that could've helped us. Okay.
You're right. Who needs data to support an analysis anyway?

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
The "Patriot Way".

Bill B without Brady 51-65.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard