Probably unpopular here regarding this regime…

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Only moves that have ick’d me this off-season were not keeping Zach Allen & trading a 5th for Dobbs. I believe you need to retain uprising trench players at all cost & trading a 5th for a backup is just idiotic. Also wasn’t the biggest fan of letting Josh Jones go. I also see eye-to-eye with @Chopper0080, @kerouac9, @Dayman, @ASUCHRIS on a lot of things, but I’m fully with @TheCardFan on this off-season. If you’re going to be bad, be all the way bad. Don’t just be half-way, aka purgatory. Which this franchise has been under Keim ever since 2016.

Nothing was pissing me off more when we needed to rebuild instead of reload which just kept us running in circles. Signing vets nearly out their primes, drafting polarizing/risky players, etc. That BS Keim couldn’t help, but continue to do.

Monti’s era could obviously end up a failure & I could be typing up a post about about much a failure it was 4 years from now, but for now, I’m intrigued.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope , with the start of the new season, we can all now move on from who was cut, traded or released.
2023 is now upon us. We’re anticipating several roster moves on Tuesday and Wednesday. Those moves will give us a bit of insight of what this staff really thinks about the personnel on this team.

Be ready for some unpopular decisions based on what WE believe.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Only moves that have ick’d me this off-season were not keeping Zach Allen & trading a 5th for Dobbs. I believe you need to retain uprising trench players at all cost & trading a 5th for a backup is just idiotic. Also wasn’t the biggest fan of letting Josh Jones go. I also see eye-to-eye with @Chopper0080, @kerouac9, @Dayman, @ASUCHRIS on a lot of things, but I’m fully with @TheCardFan on this off-season. If you’re going to be bad, be all the way bad. Don’t just be half-way, aka purgatory. Which this franchise has been under Keim ever since 2016.

Nothing was pissing me off more when we needed to rebuild instead of reload which just kept us running in circles. Signing vets nearly out their primes, drafting polarizing/risky players, etc. That BS Keim couldn’t help, but continue to do.

Monti’s era could obviously end up a failure & I could be typing up a post about about much a failure it was 4 years from now, but for now, I’m intrigued.

Okay, are you saying we're tanking D'Vontel? If so, how does re-upping Budda figure into that? If we're tanking, we would have traded Budda away I think.

And I think Josh Jones was pretty overrated, but whatever.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Word

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Dvontel, I’ll ask you the same question I always ask: what’s the model for stripping a team to the bone and rebuilding it within a season or two to a long-term contender?

My model is to build your roster to win 10-12 games and hope you get hot in the playoffs. We’re further from that now than we even were in March. We’ll likely be further from that in January than we are now.

Armchair GM is fun in the summer, but this fall is going to SUCK and probably next summer and fall also.

People laugh about Houston but we’re following their trajectory.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Dvontel, I’ll ask you the same question I always ask: what’s the model for stripping a team to the bone and rebuilding it within a season or two to a long-term contender?

My model is to build your roster to win 10-12 games and hope you get hot in the playoffs. We’re further from that now than we even were in March. We’ll likely be further from that in January than we are now.

Armchair GM is fun in the summer, but this fall is going to SUCK and probably next summer and fall also.

People laugh about Houston but we’re following their trajectory.
Word.

OP
OP
DVontel

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know people have said the Lions, but I think the Bengals are a good module. Getting rid of productive vets such as AJ Green, Carl Lawson, Tyler Eifert, William Jackson III, Dre Kirkpatrick, Geno Atkins, Gio Bernard, over a 1-2 year period as soon as Zac Taylor got hired. Got the QB they wanted & have followed that up with good drafts. I think that’s the model to follow.
I rather know we’re going to be awful than to believe we’re going to float in purgatory & watch others convince theirselves we need a few more patches when it reality we need the whole procedure.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
in the very big picture: I get what Monti is doing-- the reset that was probably necessary.

next off season will say a great deal: is the team reasonably active in grabbing UFAs? I dont need a 2021 Patriots kinda splurge, but a few solid starters would be nice.

Because if the Monti philosophy is build 95% via the draft -- this will take a while.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Never believed in gutting a team and never will. Always keep adding pieces. The patriots had great success doing this. Getting rid of your best players every four years only means you’re team will be a constant loser.
I just think the Pats with Brady and Belicheck were sui generis and can’t be used as a reference. Scads of former NE coaches and front office folks seeded around the league have failed to replicate the model.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I know people have said the Lions, but I think the Bengals are a good module. Getting rid of productive vets such as AJ Green, Carl Lawson, Tyler Eifert, William Jackson III, Dre Kirkpatrick, Geno Atkins, Gio Bernard, over a 1-2 year period as soon as Zac Taylor got hired. Got the QB they wanted & have followed that up with good drafts. I think that’s the model to follow.

I rather know we’re going to be awful than to believe we’re going to float in purgatory & watch others convince theirselves we need a few more patches when it reality we need the whole procedure.
That's definitely interesting. Two things about that:

1) Joe Burrow walked in and basically took over the culture of that team from top to bottom. Hard to imagine Monti and JG allowing that to happen.

2) The Bengals were pretty bad for a minute before the ended up with Burrow in the 2020 draft. They were 15-28-1 in the three seasons before they went 2-14 to get the #1 overall pick. But Joe Mixon had been on the roster since 2017. Tyler Boyd has been with the team since 2016. They were building up from a transition that was underway.

If Cincy is the model, we're in the second year of a four-year process. Burrow was till 2-7-1 before he tore his knee up his rookie season; if we move on from Kyler we're looking at a likely down year in 2024 also.

Team is likely to be more fun from February to July the next few years than it will be from September through January.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
That's definitely interesting. Two things about that:

1) Joe Burrow walked in and basically took over the culture of that team from top to bottom. Hard to imagine Monti and JG allowing that to happen.

2) The Bengals were pretty bad for a minute before the ended up with Burrow in the 2020 draft. They were 15-28-1 in the three seasons before they went 2-14 to get the #1 overall pick. But Joe Mixon had been on the roster since 2017. Tyler Boyd has been with the team since 2016. They were building up from a transition that was underway.

If Cincy is the model, we're in the second year of a four-year process. Burrow was till 2-7-1 before he tore his knee up his rookie season; if we move on from Kyler we're looking at a likely down year in 2024 also.

Team is likely to be more fun from February to July the next few years than it will be from September through January.
I think if this is the model, you have to account for this being year one and Kyler Murray is playing the role of Andy Dalton.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Dalton was 8.3% of the Bengals cap that year and Kyler is 7% of the Cardinals cap this year.

OP
OP
DVontel

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Never believed in gutting a team and never will. Always keep adding pieces. The patriots had great success doing this. Getting rid of your best players every four years only means you’re team will be a constant loser.
Amazing analysis here.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Amazing analysis here.
My issue is that there is a gap between filling a roster with veteran stopgaps (ensuring purgatory) and just adding a bunch of vets on one year deals. That was my issue with Allen and Murphy. Maybe they aren't guys you sign for 5 years, but they can probably help your team over the next 3. I just find it tough to sell a message as a org or a hc when your getting boat raced out of the building every week because you chose to fill your roster with replacement level NFL vets on one year deals.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
My issue is that there is a gap between filling a roster with veteran stopgaps (ensuring purgatory) and just adding a bunch of vets on one year deals. That was my issue with Allen and Murphy. Maybe they aren't guys you sign for 5 years, but they can probably help your team over the next 3. I just find it tough to sell a message as a org or a hc when your getting boat raced out of the building every week because you chose to fill your roster with replacement level NFL vets on one year deals.
You're going to have to get some above average players as starters before even thinking about competing - guys like Allen/Murphy fit that formula, and neither were too expensive!

The "blow it to smithereens" crowd still hasn't given any explanation as to how we're going to acquire the necessary talent to compete in...what, 3 years? It doesn't have to be this way in the NFL!

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
That was my issue with Allen and Murphy. Maybe they aren't guys you sign for 5 years, but they can probably help your team over the next 3.

They would help us be better/get worse draft picks and have less cap flexibility.

Not the goal right now.

You must be registered for see images attach

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
They would help us be better/get worse draft picks and have less cap flexibility.

Not the goal right now.

You must be registered for see images attach
"The "blow it to smithereens" crowd still hasn't given any explanation as to how we're going to acquire the necessary talent to compete in...what, 3 years? It doesn't have to be this way in the NFL!"

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
"The "blow it to smithereens" crowd still hasn't given any explanation as to how we're going to acquire the necessary talent to compete in...what, 3 years? It doesn't have to be this way in the NFL!"
It's staring everyone right in the face, yet some just aren't seeing it. Hint: 12

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

next offseason will tell the tale:

either Monti uses UFA period to accelerate the rebuilding process, or he doesnt

if he doesn't, its a strategy that says you better get most of those accumulated draft picks right IF you want to compete in three years

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson