Press conference is for 2:30pm today

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guess who is gone?

Looks like we were right, it's happening today...

Mike

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL, its cool Mike. But I announced that D'Atoni is expected to take over the Suns. I'll delete my thread seeing as though you beat me by 30 seconds.. Stupid 30 seconds DOH!:computer:

Last edited:

kps0001

Warriors Come Out And Plaaaay!
Reaction score
Wow....I heard they wouldn't do it today with the Dbax press conference for Sexson. I don't have radio here at work somebody please post the basic contents of it for me please? Even though we all know what it is gonna be about anyway.

kps0001

Warriors Come Out And Plaaaay!
Reaction score
usually are. but i was just assuming.

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by SameOleGee
LOL, its cool Mike. But I announced that D'Atoni is expected to take over the Suns. I'll delete my thread seeing as though you beat me by 30 seconds.. Stupid 30 seconds DOH!:computer:

Good call, you did post that...

30 seconds is a lot of time in computer land :)

Mike

JJ Slim

Registered
Reaction score
I heard the press conference is going to be carried on 910AM.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by JJ Slim
I heard the press conference is going to be carried on 910AM.
Yes they said they would try to get it on the air on 910AM, but also said if they can't they will have a report from it.

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by SameOleGee
Yes they said they would try to get it on the air on 910AM, but also said if they can't they will have a report from it.

620 KTAR might as well, not sure though.

Mike

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And KDUS might cover it.....Wondering if it will be also webcasted on the Suns' official site?

scotsman13

Reaction score
from espn:

Suns Fire Frank Johnson
A loss to the lowly Magic may have been the final, crucial blow for Frank Johnson. The Suns fired Johnson on Wednesday after an 8-13 start, ESPN.com's Marc Stein has learned. Last season, Johnson guided the Suns to a 44-38 record and a playoff berth.

time will tell what is going to happen. i dont know that i would want to take over this team with with amare and zarko out. it will be very hard to turn it around.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/1210frankjohnson-ON.html

Republic staff and wires
Dec. 10, 2003 02:15 PM

Frank Johnson was fired as coach of the Phoenix Suns after an 8-13 start to the season.

"I talked to Bryan and Jerry (Colangelo) this morning and they have decided to make the change," Johnson told The Republic Wednesday afternoon, referring to the team's president/general manager and chief executive, respectively.

Assistant coach Mike D'Antoni will assume the coaching duties.

The Suns said they have scheduled a 2:30 p.m. news conference but did not say why. Johnson said he will not be attending it.

Johnson replaced Scott Skiles as the Suns' coach late in the 2001-02 season, going 11-20 the rest of the way.

Last season, Johnson guided the team to a 44-38 record and a surprising playoff berth. The Suns lost to the eventual NBA champion San Antonio Spurs in the first round.

Phoenix just returned from a road trip on which it went 1-3, including a loss against the Orlando Magic - a team that had dropped its previous 19 straight games.

Overall, the Suns have lost six of their last seven games, despite a roster that includes point guard Stephon Marbury, and forwards Amare Stoudemire and Shawn Marion.

Stoudemire, last season's NBA Rookie of the Year, is expected to miss the next month with a sprained left ankle.

The Suns' job was Johnson's first as a head coach in the NBA; he was an assistant for the team for five seasons.

Johnson played 10 seasons in the league for Washington, Houston and Phoenix, retiring from the NBA in 1994.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D'Atoni is not an intern. He will ride out his original contract that runs through the end of next year. Why?

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't know, but I don't like what D'Antoni has been saying is his gameplan.

Basically he's said he wants the team to start playing high-scoring basketball again. I think this team needs to focus on defense. They will get more fast breaks and an up-tempo offense by creating turnovers and getting defensive rebounds.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
I thought he was listed as interim. If you are right hto my guess is that hi current contract is very cheap, even compared the the 2 million Johnson made (low by coach standards).

Maybe they said they would only give him a second year if he just rode his old contract. If jerry can get a head coach even cheaper he will. However, if he doesn't perform for a 10 game stretch everyone knows Jerry will have his finger on the ejection seat.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Originally posted by jbeecham
I don't know, but I don't like what D'Antoni has been saying is his gameplan.

Basically he's said he wants the team to start playing high-scoring basketball again. I think this team needs to focus on defense. They will get more fast breaks and an up-tempo offense by creating turnovers and getting defensive rebounds.

Who knows if that is his real game plan. He basically just said what Jerry and Bryan said at the beginning of the season verbatim.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is disgusting. The last real coach we had was Cotton. We need a real coach.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
BC just said they have some NBDL players in today to try out for the team to help out while players are injured. They have also said Barbosa may have broken ribs from the elbow he got in the Miami game.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so seeing as our only two frontcourt players are gonna be gone for a month and we already stink - who are we looking at in the lottery who is going to be that final piece of the puzzle at SG? This season may be a blessing in disguise (ala San Antonio's without Robinson). I don't follow College BB that close though anymore - who's out there for us and who should I start watching?