Preseason week 2 kc football team vs Cardinals pregame thread. Aug 16 - Aug 20 2021

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
He never said it didn’t matter. He said the outcome doesn’t matter. If you read the article he actually said all of the things I want him to say. In fact, most of his comments were about the value of the process even if he didn’t use the word process.

Yeah no. I’ll bet you can find many QBs that have said they don’t love preseason games. Many players in fact.

Hater.

I don't fully agree; I've seen a number of top QBs say they don't like playing in preseason game. This is just more of the false narrative against Kyler Murray.

It's one thing to say "I don't like playing in preseason games." I actually don't mind that, either. Part of the problem is that Murray is OBVIOUSLY a bad quote, so you don't get to hear what he says. You get paraphrased stuff like this (From Urban): "Murray acknowledged that preseason games do have a purpose for those players fighting to make a roster. As a competitor, he does work as hard as he can when he is playing – he just doesn't see why it'd be necessary."

THe direct quote: ""(The preseason) is not real," Murray said. "I see it as, you go out and play well – it's not real. You play bad, you have a bad taste in your mouth. But at the end of the day, it's live reps. You take something away from it, but it doesn't count. That's how I feel about it.""

Again, this is outcome-oriented thinking. Play bad, play good. If you play good, nothing else matters. If you play bad, you don't like that."

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It's one thing to say "I don't like playing in preseason games." I actually don't mind that, either. Part of the problem is that Murray is OBVIOUSLY a bad quote, so you don't get to hear what he says. You get paraphrased stuff like this (From Urban): "Murray acknowledged that preseason games do have a purpose for those players fighting to make a roster. As a competitor, he does work as hard as he can when he is playing – he just doesn't see why it'd be necessary."

THe direct quote: ""(The preseason) is not real," Murray said. "I see it as, you go out and play well – it's not real. You play bad, you have a bad taste in your mouth. But at the end of the day, it's live reps. You take something away from it, but it doesn't count. That's how I feel about it.""

Again, this is outcome-oriented thinking. Play bad, play good. If you play good, nothing else matters. If you play bad, you don't like that."
He does say "you take something away from it" which means that he gets the process side of the thing.

This is just more Bickleyian type crap.....finding ways to take jabs at Murray that are either made up, miscontrued, or....dumb.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
He does say "you take something away from it" which means that he gets the process side of the thing.

This is just more Bickleyian type crap.....finding ways to take jabs at Murray that are either made up, miscontrued, or....dumb.
You're imposing a love of process on a pretty thin branch there, K.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
You're imposing a love of process on a pretty thin branch there, K.
For many years we've heard vets talk their disdain for the preseason games and they never got the label you are putting on K1.

Fact of the matter is that Murray doesn't really say too much about anything publicly, so we don't really know what Murray thinks about the process.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I’m sure I’ll be accused of being a hater or whatever, but this exemplifies the defect that I think could hold Kyler back from greatness (and more importantly set the Cards in a holding pattern for 5-10 years): truly great quarterbacks love the PROCESS. They’re not concerned with the outcome because they get that wins and losses are the result of a strong, consistent, relentless process. This is an opportunity to execute your process and find weaknesses in it so that you can fix them before the games count.
If you think this doesn’t matter, you’re already ceding ground to an opponent who puts in the work because they know it does.

Putting in the work and playing in a preseason game are different things. Just ask Aaron Rodgers.

Half of the starting QB's aren't playing 1 single snap this preseason...How many articles have we read or heard about, where any of those QB's are complaining about being held out?

PS: Never thought I'd be defending KM. :) So there's that, too.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

“You take something away from it” - that’s not outcome-oriented. You’re skipping over a very clear comment is narrative-induced blindness.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
And getting back to the game:
Some of the things/players I'll be looking at on Friday, or hope to:
1.Greg Dortch as a WR and PR.
2. Antoine Wesley, great size, but is he an NFL WR?
3. Demetrius Harris, can he take Dan Arnold's place?
4. Any of the NOT top six DL, worthy of the Final 53. David Parry looked like he might have some potential.
5. On the OL, the starting RG. It was Josh Jones, but after Josh Miles performance, I wouldn't be surprised if JJ got some work at LT. Is Justin Murray or Brian Winters scheduled to play?
6. Can Josh Miles bounce back?
7. How does James Conner look?
8. Eno vs. Ward for RB #3. Also, Eno as a KR.
9. Isaiah Simmons, I'm a little worried about him, and hope to see him flash. Less worried about Zaven.
10.Rondale being Rondale.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
“You take something away from it” - that’s not outcome-oriented. You’re skipping over a very clear comment is narrative-induced blindness.
Explain to me the best possible interpretation of "But at the end of the day, it's live reps. You take something away from it, but it doesn't count."

Here's a counter-example:

Carson Palmer said:
"You're only going to get a certain amount of plays and you want to maximize those plays," Palmer said Wednesday. "You don't need to go out and have seven plays for 180 yards of offense. You want to go out and be efficient.".

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And getting back to the game:
Some of the things/players I'll be looking at on Friday, or hope to:
1.Greg Dortch as a WR and PR.
2. Antoine Wesley, great size, but is he an NFL WR?
3. Demetrius Harris, can he take Dan Arnold's place?
4. Any of the NOT top six DL, worthy of the Final 53. David Parry looked like he might have some potential.
5. On the OL, the starting RG. It was Josh Jones, but after Josh Miles performance, I wouldn't be surprised if JJ got some work at LT. Is Justin Murray or Brian Winters scheduled to play?
6. Can Josh Miles bounce back?
7. How does James Conner look?
8. Eno vs. Ward for RB #3. Also, Eno as a KR.
9. Isaiah Simmons, I'm a little worried about him, and hope to see him flash. Less worried about Zaven.
10.Rondale being Rondale.

Most interesting to me is how are DBs handle the fastest WR Corp in the league.

Wilson aside you can time our other DBs on a sundial so I'm intrigued to see how they handle it scheme wise.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sure this will make Kyler more upset about playing in a preseason game.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Explain to me the best possible interpretation of "But at the end of the day, it's live reps. You take something away from it, but it doesn't count."

Here's a counter-example:

I don’t think any interpretation is necessary when someone speaks plainly like kyler did there.

it’s live reps - that’s a fact.

You take something away from it - recognizing there’s value.

but it doesn’t count - that’s a fact. It’s a practice game. A practice game you don’t even get to finish. I can’t tell you I never enjoyed practice as much as the game in any sport. Should we be surprised that kyler might not either?

I think you’re searching for reasons to bash the kid. We already know he’s not a stellar speaker. Sorry he didn’t give you the cliche quotes you’re apparently seeking.

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The media asked K1 the same question about preseason so many times no wonder peoples interpretations are all over the place. Just glad to see him more relaxed dealing with them.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I don’t think any interpretation is necessary when someone speaks plainly like kyler did there.

it’s live reps - that’s a fact.

You take something away from it - recognizing there’s value.

but it doesn’t count - that’s a fact. It’s a practice game. A practice game you don’t even get to finish. I can’t tell you I never enjoyed practice as much as the game in any sport. Should we be surprised that kyler might not either?

I think you’re searching for reasons to bash the kid. We already know he’s not a stellar speaker. Sorry he didn’t give you the cliche quotes you’re apparently seeking.
So where’s the part about enjoying and valuing the process? That’s what you said you found the opposite of what I suggested.

Anytime people question a statement from Kyler the first thing people say is it was Actually Good, and then they retreat to “well it doesn’t matter Kyler doesn’t talk good.”

At some point your words reflect your thinking, right?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
So where’s the part about enjoying and valuing the process? That’s what you said you found the opposite of what I suggested.

Anytime people question a statement from Kyler the first thing people say is it was Actually Good, and then they retreat to “well it doesn’t matter Kyler doesn’t talk good.”

At some point your words reflect your thinking, right?
No, I never said that, k9. You’re better than trying to put words in posters mouths. I said he recognizes the value in it. Which, shock of shocks, I just reiterated. And one needn’t experience joy in the process to value it.

and when you admit that your words reflect your thinking I think you have to admit that when he says “you take something away from that” he’s talking about taking something from the process. To do anything otherwise is being disingenuous . . . kinda like when you put words in other people’s mouths.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
No, I never said that, k9. You’re better than trying to put words in posters mouths. I said he recognizes the value in it. Which, shock of shocks, I just reiterated. And one needn’t experience joy in the process to value it.

and when you admit that your words reflect your thinking I think you have to admit that when he says “you take something away from that” he’s talking about taking something from the process. To do anything otherwise is being disingenuous . . . kinda like when you put words in other people’s mouths.
I feel like that’s a pretty generous interpretation. “That” doesn’t have a very clear referent; it’s certainly not obvious that he enjoys the preparation and emphasizing perfecting the little things that will help you when the games count. What you have is a lot of emphasis on how “it doesn’t matter… it doesn’t count.”

Could mean nothing, but you’re definitely putting words that Kyler’s not saying into his mouth, and I’m looking at what he actually said.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I’m sure I’ll be accused of being a hater or whatever, but this exemplifies the defect that I think could hold Kyler back from greatness (and more importantly set the Cards in a holding pattern for 5-10 years): truly great quarterbacks love the PROCESS. They’re not concerned with the outcome because they get that wins and losses are the result of a strong, consistent, relentless process. This is an opportunity to execute your process and find weaknesses in it so that you can fix them before the games count.
If you think this doesn’t matter, you’re already ceding ground to an opponent who puts in the work because they know it does.
Uh, you might think you are jumping to hypothetical conclusions to what amounts to a mere sound byte without talking to the guy,,, Kyler likes to win, Kyler likes the win to be legit, Kyler does not like it seems when he is only in there for a few series and then that establishes his input to a win which really does not count and cannot fault the guy for that if I too are reading words into this sound byte from him lol

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I feel like that’s a pretty generous interpretation. “That” doesn’t have a very clear referent; it’s certainly not obvious that he enjoys the preparation and emphasizing perfecting the little things that will help you when the games count. What you have is a lot of emphasis on how “it doesn’t matter… it doesn’t count.”

Could mean nothing, but you’re definitely putting words that Kyler’s not saying into his mouth, and I’m looking at what he actually said.
Lol. Sorry that’s complete BS. You’re infusing his comments with your narrative. That’s okay, it’s your prerogative.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I totally agree

If you are not striving to be the best at all times then you are missing out on opportunities that other QB's are doing to get ahead

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
KC Football team??

Is that **** starting up again?

whatever.... Redbirds by 10 over the Chef’s..... because it don’t mean anything

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members