Preseason importance

Seandonic

Gotta love that Cardinal red!
Reaction score
How many teams have gone 0 and 4 in the preseason and then gone on to win the Super Bowl in the same 16 game regular season? I don't think there have been any (I could be wrong). And does that make a win against Denver more important?

Your thoughts?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
pretty sure the raiders did just that...twice maybe.

I stand corrected... in 1983 they were 1-3 in preseason with the single win being an overtime win against the niners...so almost 0-4
went on to destroy the redskins in the championship

pre season record means nothing.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could care less about winning games in the preseason. It means absolutely nothing!

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Injuries is #1, #2, and #3 most important things. #4 is play of rookies. They dont need to be stars, just show that they belong. #5 is seeing the players know their playbooks.

#778 is winning in PS

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Preseason is very important for teams that are trying to win the Super Bowl. They aren't for players 1-22 on the roster. They are for players 23-53. Teams like the Patriots stay so good for so long is because they are able to get the most from these players on their roster.

Wins and losses don't mean anything.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
How many teams have gone 0 and 4 in the preseason and then gone on to win the Super Bowl in the same 16 game regular season? I don't think there have been any (I could be wrong). And does that make a win against Denver more important?

Your thoughts?

Found the link: http://www.footballgeography.com/winless-in-the-nfl-preseason/

Several teams have gone winless in preseason and lost in the Superbowl...however the 1982 Redskins won the Superbowl after going winless in preseason.

Jim Otis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I cant remember the stats , but I do remember hearing the pundits talk about the Buffalo Bills 4 straight SB trips , that during that span they had a losing record in the preseason games .

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Wins and losses don't mean anything.
I'm thinking it does now that I've seen this:

1) 39/50 SB champions (78%) finished preseason with .500 or better record

2) since 2000, the 16 champs were 41-23 (.641) during those years.

Oh well, we've got a shot! Lol :p

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I do not think preseason predicts much but I would like to see one thing in the last preseason game and that is a change of attitude. I am tired of seeing our players walking around joking and laughing because even though this is a glorified practice, it is still practice and nothing to take lightly. I do not care if you are not suited up, respect the serious nature of those trying to make the team... I want to see our guys walking around on the sidelines like someone just pissed in their cheerios, I want to see guys that know they are not in the stands but on the field for the NFL :)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not think preseason predicts much but I would like to see one thing in the last preseason game and that is a change of attitude. I am tired of seeing our players walking around joking and laughing because even though this is a glorified practice, it is still practice and nothing to take lightly. I do not care if you are not suited up, respect the serious nature of those trying to make the team... I want to see our guys walking around on the sidelines like someone just pissed in their cheerios, I want to see guys that know they are not in the stands but on the field for the NFL :)

Make the season an 18 week season with only 2 pre-season games and they will take it more seriously. So will the fans.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm thinking it does now that I've seen this:

1) 39/50 SB champions (78%) finished preseason with .500 or better record

2) since 2000, the 16 champs were 41-23 (.641) during those years.

Oh well, we've got a shot! Lol :p
I'm not sure we can extrapolate that data set and apply it to modern times. Practices and preseason used to be a lot different than they are now. Interesting stat nonetheless.

OP
OP
S

Seandonic

Reaction score
Found the link: http://www.footballgeography.com/winless-in-the-nfl-preseason/

Several teams have gone winless in preseason and lost in the Superbowl...however the 1982 Redskins won the Superbowl after going winless in preseason.
Thanks for posting the info I didn't look up masterphomeg. Unfortunately it confirms my fears. The only team to lose all their preseason games and go on to win the Super Bowl was the 82 Redskins. And that was not even a 16 game season.

I fully understand that the preseason doesn't matter much at all but if the Cards were to lose to Denver they would have to become the very first team to go on to win the big one after a winless preseason. That sounds pretty daunting.

Final analysis: I really hope the Cards win against Denver. They don't need any extra baggage to carry around.

OP
OP
S

Seandonic

Reaction score
Wow, looks like we are in a must win situation for preseason game #4. :D
Unfortunately the odds show that you are right az jam. It's no joke. They'd have to be the first in ALL of history to do it. That scares me.

Scooby-Doo

Reaction score
Wins and losses don't mean a thing. Seeing a little consistency from the office would have been nice, however.

Either way, you can't read into much when it comes to the preseason. I remember a few years ago when the Jets didn't score an offensive TD in the preseason and they were getting curb-stomped by the NY media. Then they dropped 40+ points on their opponent in the first regular season game.

The cards are going to be just fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn