Premier League 2023-2024 Season

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
De Zerbi (who left Brighton) is favorite for Chelsea, and McKenna (currently at newly promoted Ipswich) is the favorite for Brighton job - but also in the mix for Chelsea.
So then De Zerbi would be gone in 6 months as well. Why would anyone go to Chelsea at this point?

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Ego and money.

They're still a major international club with a lot of exposure and there are only so many jobs

They also churn managers enough that if you come in with a reputation and it doesn't work out, there will be other suitors

I think it's trickier for someone like Hoeness - does Stuttgart provide the resources and ability to stay in the European spots? Is this the high water mark and the time to go? If he doesn't excel in England will be get stuck with a style that doesn't fit?

Where does someone like that go if they don't make it a year?

Seems more risk for both sides.

It's a goofy industry with managers. In Italy Thiago Motta is a hot name. I follow Genoa and they hired him late in 2019. Ownership and team structure was a mess. He was there 10 games and didn't even get a transfer window. Just tried to do his best with the mess while getting settled into managing.

Since he had some outspoken ideas on managing and setup, he was pretty much kicked and ridiculed. Davide Nicola came in and did what he does, gets a team to claw and fight their way to survival and then released before the next season. The story then was about how much of a failure Motta was - couldn't even get the team to perform like Nicola.

He was out of work for 2 years before Spezia took the risk. Worked out well enough he was able to go to Bologna. That has worked so well, he's become a sought after name and people are loving how he sets up a team.

Genoa went on to an ownership change and relegation and have now started to stabilize - although the ownership group seems to be struggling with every aspect of their business except Genoa

Someone like Marco Rose in Germany. Came up through the RB system, took over Gladbach and led then to the champions league - was basically a folk hero there. Jumped to Dortman and was dismissed quickly. Found safe landing at Leipzig and has kept them in the top 4, but never really a threat to the top. How do you define someone like that?

It's rare to see much stability for one reason or another and managers seem comfortable with that reality

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ego and money.

They're still a major international club with a lot of exposure and there are only so many jobs
Graham Potter is still out of a job and he was really an up and coming manager. Maybe he is taking a sabbatical, but I think Chelsea might have broken his spirit.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Graham Potter is still out of a job and he was really an up and coming manager. Maybe he is taking a sabbatical, but I think Chelsea might have broken his spirit.
McKenna staying at Ipswich, and Potter is now the betting favorite to return to Brighton. Russell Martin (from Brighton and just led Southampton to promotion) has also been in the mix on the betting line since day 1, and Henrik Rydstrom (who led Swedish side Malmo to the domestic title) is an option I am intrigued by too.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
McKenna staying at Ipswich, and Potter is now the betting favorite to return to Brighton. Russell Martin (from Brighton and just led Southampton to promotion) has also been in the mix on the betting line since day 1, and Henrik Rydstrom (who led Swedish side Malmo to the domestic title) is an option I am intrigued by too.
Bringing Potter back would be really smart for the Seagulls.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Bringing Potter back would be really smart for the Seagulls.
A lot of Seagulls fans don't love it based on how he left for Chelsea and the fact the next guy did even better than he did, but we could definitely do a lot worse!