Pre-Season Week 1 vs Broncos Post Game Sound Off

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sorry man, but it's the first preseason game and a game where we had 3 points going into the 4th quarter. If that's not false hope, what is?

I'm sure had we lost by 10 you would be saying "It's only preseason. It means nothing".

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I get you, and this is sensible. I've been reading a lot of "it looks like we really have a defense!" and "great to see the offensive firepower" kinds of comments, which is really dumb logic. But I'm not trying to insult posters by labeling them such individually because false hope is perfectly understandable with this team. It just gets out of hand right out of the gate in the preseason. Just a general comment on that rather than being mean-spirited to other posters, quibbling over stuff not worth quibbling over, etc.
I've moved on from letting this team get me down. It's a form of entertainment. Let it entertain.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I do and I am. Even if it i was only game, this is MUCH better than our historical average.
The team had 4 games last year where they had 4 or fewer penalties. That included an average of about 4 per game in the preseason last year.

You are also comparing the "historical average" to one preseason game. Let's see if this is something that continues the rest of the preseason and into the regular season before we go praising them like they are doing something special.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I’ll add this ESPN article to help understand the ground up approach of Gannon

Now I know why he was hired. It was music to MB's ears when he heard the plan included fines. Fines are like coupons for owners.
I got a chuckle about People’s excitement over the defensive line. I just had to shake my head. Who knows, maybe I’ll be waaay wrong. It’s happened before. But I ain’t falling for that banana in the tailpipe after the first preseason game with Fotu and the Replacement.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The team had 4 games last year where they had 4 or fewer penalties. That included an average of about 4 per game in the preseason last year.

You are also comparing the "historical average" to one preseason game. Let's see if this is something that continues the rest of the preseason and into the regular season before we go praising them like they are doing something special.
This type of logic is weird to me. Why should I not be excited that in THIS GAME, they allowed only 4 penalties? I'm sure that they will average more than 4 throughout the rest of the year. The topic that I was commenting on, was about reasons for HOPE. Only committing 4 penalties is a reason to be hopeful, right?

Besides, if we would have committed 10 penalties, then we would be the Same Ol' Cards.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't read too far into that. There were a lot of teams that only had like 4-5 penalties in preseason last week.

Of course 4 is a good number, but we could have a had a crew that was giving the players a good amount of leeway.

The Cardinals led the NFL with an average of 7 penalties per game last year. They also had a league high average of 3 pre snap penalties per game last season.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images
The Arizona Cardinals were able to pressure Russell Wilson on 64% of his drop backs on Sunday, the most pressure applied to ANY quarterback over the weekend.

Much of this pressure was applied by Cardinals 2nd stringers against Denver’s 1st stringers

(Source ⁦‪@SharpFootball‬⁩)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'm sure had we lost by 10 you would be saying "It's only preseason. It means nothing".
Absolutely, because it does mean literally nothing. I'm not going to get into an argument with you, though. I was only pointing out the silliness one time and not specifically to any poster, because they need all the hopium they can get.

Reaction score
I get you, and this is sensible. I've been reading a lot of "it looks like we really have a defense!" and "great to see the offensive firepower" kinds of comments, which is really dumb logic. But I'm not trying to insult posters by labeling them such individually because false hope is perfectly understandable with this team. It just gets out of hand right out of the gate in the preseason. Just a general comment on that rather than being mean-spirited to other posters, quibbling over stuff not worth quibbling over, etc.
I wouldn't go as far to say ''it looks like we really have a defense!'' but I will say I believe our defense will be better than most are expecting.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
This type of logic is weird to me. Why should I not be excited that in THIS GAME, they allowed only 4 penalties? I'm sure that they will average more than 4 throughout the rest of the year. The topic that I was commenting on, was about reasons for HOPE. Only committing 4 penalties is a reason to be hopeful, right?

Besides, if we would have committed 10 penalties, then we would be the Same Ol' Cards.
Because it is one preseason game that can not be said is indicative of who the team is now.

Like I said the team averaged 4 penalties per game in last year's preseason and yet they were very poor in that department in the regular season.

That might suggest that preseason penalty numbers are not indicative of what the regular season penalty numbers will be.

Ultimately you can feel free to be excited about anything you want, I am just pointing out that while it is a good number it's not like we can use that number to assume anything about who this team is at the moment.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because it is one preseason game that can not be said is indicative of who the team is now.

Like I said the team averaged 4 penalties per game in last year's preseason and yet they were very poor in that department in the regular season.

That might suggest that preseason penalty numbers are not indicative of what the regular season penalty numbers will be.

Ultimately you can feel free to be excited about anything you want, I am just pointing out that while it is a good number it's not like we can use that number to assume anything about who this team is at the moment.
Since you brought up assuming, how many people assumed we would go in and Denver would walk all over us? Especially on the defensive line. And yet it was our 2nd string that really put it to the 1st string of Denver. Something, almost nobody here would have thought would happen. Do I expect that to happen next week against KC, nope.

It's perfectly okay to be happy in the moment, because of the moment.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images
The Arizona Cardinals were able to pressure Russell Wilson on 64% of his drop backs on Sunday, the most pressure applied to ANY quarterback over the weekend.

Much of this pressure was applied by Cardinals 2nd stringers against Denver’s 1st stringers

(Source ⁦‪@SharpFootball‬⁩)
Not to mention the batted balls. I can’t say I saw much of that from last year’s team. I believe that is a coaching thing.