Pre-Season Week 1 vs Broncos Post Game Sound Off

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Make no mistake, I'm not changing my record predictions one bit. It's going to be a long season, but I'll enjoy a meaningless victory in a game we easily could have been blown out of because half of our wins might be in the preseason.

The number of years we went 3-1 or 4-0 in the preseason only to be 4-12 or 5-11 in the regular season is astounding. At this point, I'm still hoping this year is as good as those years.

Typically bad preseason = a good season. Good preseason = bad season.

Plus it's always good to beat the guy Michael couldn't hire.

Poverty fan mindset. These scraps taste good may I have some more?
I’ll add this ESPN article to help understand the ground up approach of Gannon

OP
OP
R

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Maybe we are too high. It's just nice to see a team run normally. Probably don't have enough talent still. Let's see how the team looks in game two.

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Just saw this on the ESPN app:

If you read between the lines it essentially confirms what we all suspected regarding how Coach Bro “managed” the club—rules and professionalism were pretty much optional.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Players need to wear team-issued gear at all times in the facility. That’s a fineable offense.

That Great Place to Work designation is right around the corner!

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
They absolutely are. But there's little enough hope that even false hope must be grasped. Can't blame folks for it.

I don't think it's false hope. People are genuinely excited to see competent coaching and a team executing and playing like a team. It's a positive start and confirms a lot of what I was seeing and reporting on at training camp. I don't think you will find many on here who believe that this team will win much more than 4 games.

However this team already is playing much more disciplined and will be way easier to root for than that total abomination that Keim and Kliff put together last season. As I said last week in another thread, no longer are the inmates running the asylum.

Going into the season I thought the Cardinals had zero chance to win a game.

After watching a couple training camp practices and seeing an actual NFL offense being implemented I'm convinced that the Cardinals might actually win 2-3 games this year and be competitive in several more games. This new staff appears to know what they are doing. There is definitely a different vibe in camp this season and that is a good thing.

What I see now is a team with a chip on their shoulder. The types of players that Monti has brought appear to be the types who won't just roll over and play dead. They are going to fight to the bitter end. Yes they are not as talented or deep as most teams out there. Yes there are going to be a bunch of growing pains this season. I still believe that this staff will have this team ready to play.

The problem is there are still massive holes on the roster and a general lack of depth. That is why I don't see much more than 2-3 wins. However I believe this team will be much easier to root for than that abomination of inmates running the asylum that Keim and Kliff rolled out last season.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I don't think it's false hope. People are genuinely excited to see competent coaching and a team executing and playing like a team. It's a positive start and confirms a lot of what I was seeing and reporting on at training camp. I don't think you will find many on here who believe that this team will win much more than 4 games.

However this team already is playing much more disciplined and will be way easier to root for than that total abomination that Keim and Kliff put together last season. As I said last week in another thread, no longer are the inmates running the asylum.
Sorry man, but it's the first preseason game and a game where we had 3 points going into the 4th quarter. If that's not false hope, what is?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's also important to remember that we didn't see the following players at all last night:

Budda Baker
Kyzir White
BJ Ojulari
Myjai Sanders

Kyler Murray
DJ Humphries
James Conner
Hollywood Brown
Zach Ertz
Trey McBride

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
What I don't understand is why Jones is the backup RT and Beachum the backup LT not the other way around. I recall Jones played decent as an LT last season during Humphries' injury, and Beachum played RT his entire time with Cardinals.
Jones play at LT has been overrated on this board IMO which explains Jones at RT. He needs more help than Beachum, and it is easier to do so at RT.

OP
OP
R

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Cautious optimism is not 'false hope'.

This team is going nowhere in 2023. The optimism is for 2024 with two high first round picks and a front office and coaching staff that wants to draft and develop.
I think it's been said before, but IMO a great comp for this team is the 2021 Lions. They played hard in pretty much every game and lost a bunch of close 1 score games, especially in the division...then last year started plugging in better pieces to improve the team.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry man, but it's the first preseason game and a game where we had 3 points going into the 4th quarter. If that's not false hope, what is?

I was hoping to see a competent coaching staff and a team that looked prepared to play. Check

I was hoping to see some of our young rookies make solid contributions. Check

I was hoping to see this group come together and play like a team. Check

That's pretty much all I was hoping for with preseason week one.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I was hoping to see a competent coaching staff and a team that looked prepared to play. Check

I get you, and this is sensible. I've been reading a lot of "it looks like we really have a defense!" and "great to see the offensive firepower" kinds of comments, which is really dumb logic. But I'm not trying to insult posters by labeling them such individually because false hope is perfectly understandable with this team. It just gets out of hand right out of the gate in the preseason. Just a general comment on that rather than being mean-spirited to other posters, quibbling over stuff not worth quibbling over, etc.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone is getting way too high right now imo. This happens regularly here and then we get destroyed and look like total @$$ next week. Hopefully I’m wrong.
Why wouldn't we? Other than the draft, we haven't had anything to be high about in at least a year. Don't you dare try to take this from us.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

100%

The Cards had 4 penalties. FOUR!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I get you, and this is sensible. I've been reading a lot of "it looks like we really have a defense!" and "great to see the offensive firepower" kinds of comments, which is really dumb logic. But I'm not trying to insult posters by labeling them such individually because false hope is perfectly understandable with this team. It just gets out of hand right out of the gate in the preseason. Just a general comment on that rather than being mean-spirited to other posters, quibbling over stuff not worth quibbling over, etc.
I got a chuckle about People’s excitement over the defensive line. I just had to shake my head. Who knows, maybe I’ll be waaay wrong. It’s happened before. But I ain’t falling for that banana in the tailpipe after the first preseason game with Fotu and the Replacement.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't read too far into that. There were a lot of teams that only had like 4-5 penalties in preseason last week.

Of course 4 is a good number, but we could have a had a crew that was giving the players a good amount of leeway.
I do and I am. Even if it i was only game, this is MUCH better than our historical average.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think two were by Hayes if I recall correctly
They were. Antonio Hamilton had the PI late in the game, and I can't remember the 4th.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort