Pre-Camp 53

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
QB:
Matt Leinart is the starter for the 2010 Arizona Cardinals. He has earned it in the eyes of our coaching staff. The only claim against Leinart that I will even entertain is a lack of elite arm strength, besides that, the rest of the complaints are things people are unjustifiably pulling out of there ********. Leinart is ready to take the reigns and see what he can do, and thank goodness the Cardinals are smart enough to realize this is something you HAVE TO DO in order to move forwards in NFL. If Matt Leinart fails then we have a experienced back-up in Derek Anderson. The potential for Anderson is there, and I feel if the problems Anderson has are rooted in bad fundementals then our coaching staff has a good chance of fixing those problems. Ala, Kurt Warner and ball security. As for John Skelton, he is a good prospect, and a good project for the Cardinals future, if need be.

Depth Chart:
Matt Leinart
Derek Anderson
John Skelton

RB:
In Whizenhunt's football philosophy you need two backs. He has three that I am confident in. Wells is a home-run hitter, with power, speed, and ellusiveness. Hightower is a one cut and up the field type runner, whom can pound the rock, can catch, and pass block. Between those two backs the Cardinals have the talent needed to succeed. LSH, is a personal favorite of mine, because of the immense value we got from a 7th round pick. He can catch out of the back field, he is quick, he is the best special teams player we have, and can return kickoffs. The final spot will be interesting, with Jason Wright having an advantage because of his versatility. Wright being a special teams guy, a good pass catching RB, decent blocker, and can be put on the field as a FB (eventhough he sucks at it). Alfonzo Smith is touted as a very good reciever, can return kicks, and has good speed (Pro-Day: 4.38 - 40) with size. He is a lock for the practice squad, but he will give Wright a run for his money.

Depth Chart:
Chris Wells
Tim Hightower
LaRod Stevens-Howling
Competition: [Jason Wright/Alfonzo Smith]

FB:
It is unfortunate that Broughton is hurt, cause he is the front runner in this competition. The fact that Washington even kept this kid around with their big money FB, Sellers, in the mix as well, should be a feather in this guy's cap. With reports that Dan Krieder not coming back with the Cardinals, I feel Broughton will the Cardinal fullback for 2010.

Depth Chart:
Nehemiah Broughton

WR:
Fitzgerald. Nuff Said. Steve Breaston/Early Doucet will be the second reciever with Breaston working the outside and deep routes, and Doucet running more crossing and zone busting routes. I expect Andre Roberts to be our 4th WR not only because of his draft status, but reports out of camp so far seem to be very promising for this young WR. The 5th receiver spot should be a great competition. There is a lot of excitment for some of the UDFA we have acquired, and D.Mougey. I got my bet on Onrea Jones, who has been consistant in every instance where I have watched this guy play. He reminds me a lot of Steve Breaston in the fact that all he does, is exactly what is expected of him.

Depth Chart:
Larry Fitzgerald
Early Doucet
Steve Breaston
Andre Roberts
Competition: [Onrea Jones/Ed Gant/Max Komar/Juamorris Stewart/Stephen Williams/D.Mougey]

TE:
A full year out of Ben Patrick is an exciting prospect. We know he can catch, and we have seen his improvment in the blocking game. I also expect Leinart to lean on Patrick a little more this year with no Boldin at his disposal. Anthony Becht is a lock, and thank goodness, cause he was a beast in the run game last year. The competition for the 3rd spot will be a good one between Dray and Spach. Both pretty much the same player, so the best man will win. Unfortunately, D.Byrd's return to the NFL will end this camp [2nd thought, we might find him up in Seattle]

Depth Chart:
Ben Patrick
Anthony Becht
Competition: Steven Spach/Jim Dray

OL:
Fun, Fun, Fun. While some are wringing their hands over the re-organization of the offensive line, I am loving it. There are some players that I have felt were becoming complacent with their jobs, because there was no one to push them. Except for the yearly hand out of the center position to Lyle Sendlien, every position is potentially up for grabs. I see Levi Brown locking down his spot, I see Faneca coming in and showing that even at 75% of what he used to be, he is the best guard on the roster. With the changing of position, an assumed bruised pride, of Reggie Wells, coupled with the phantom hold out of Deuce Lutui, Rex Hadnot takes hold of the starting RG position and never looks back. Finally, the lineman nobody in camp wants to face, Brandon Keith, comes in and locks down the right tackle position. Making the right side of our line HUGE-NORMOUS! What is even better the Cardinals come out of camp with fantastic depth. Either Lutui, or Wells (my money is on Wells) will be released, and the other will be a backup for the guard position. Bridges will back up the tackles, and Herman Johnson will be the 16 weeks on the non-active list canidate for 2010 barring injury.

Depth Chart:
LT - Levi Brown
LG - Alan Faneca
OC - Lyle Sendlien
RG - Rex Hadnot
RT - Brandon Keith
OT - Jeremy Bridges
OG - Deuce Lutui/Reggie Wells
OL - Herman Johnson

Total on offense: (24)

NT:
Things are looking much, much better at this position post-draft. Start with the fact no matter what, our 36 year old incumbent is back need be. Dan Williams looks the part, and if he can play the part, then the Cardinals can finally have peace that their NT problems are over. Gabe Watson, coming off another knee injury, is going to have to learn to live with his bad knee and make adjustments to compesate for it. At 26, Watson is still young, but he has to start making a difference out there on the field.

Depth Chart:
Dan Williams
Gabe Watson
Bryan Robinson

DE:
There is plenty of talent at this position. Dockett is the best 3-4 DE in the league, and if Campbell's progress continues then we will have the best 3-4 DE bookends in the league. Regardless of where Alan Branch SHOULD be playing there is no doubt he is a above average depth guy for the DE position. Factor in that B.Robinson can play DE as well as NT adds a little bit more depth at the position. Finally, when needed, Kenny Iwebema can hold his own, but not much else. But 280 lbs, effective, special teamers that can also play DE in a 3-4 are hard to come by. If someone beats out Iwebema, they will have to do so on special teams first.

Depth Chart:
Calais Campbell
Darnell Dockett
Alan Branch
Kenny Iwebema

OLB:
Depth, Depth, Depth. We need it at this position. I have confidence in our pass-rush-on-walkers core, but I would like to see more depth at the position. I think Joey Porter is going to have a re-surgence in AZ. I think Clark Haggans is going to play at the level he did last year, which is just good enough. More importantly the Cardinals need to find two young, pass rushers to replace these old men, and not by the end of the year, but by the end of the quarter. Porter and Haggans are workout warriors, in great shape, but also 30 somethings and a little rest can go a long way. Will Davis is in because he can play special teams, and has shown progress in his linebacker play. Davis is still a year away from being anything but a 3rd stringer but I will take it (keep in mind his bad knee from last year). Cody Brown has all the promise in the world, and while he physically has not practiced, it has been noted his head has progressed as an OLB (keep in mind his bad wrist and Kenny King). I think it would be foolish to not keep Stevie Baggs on the final 53. With the injury history and age at the position it would easier to hide Mark Washington on the practice squad than Stevie Baggs. Baggs is a veteran without playing a snap in the NFL, and has experience rushing the passer. Baggs is the guy I have faith in, but a good competitiion between him and Washington would be good to see. Regardless I think it would be wise to carry 5 OLB'ers.

Depth Chart:
Clark Haggans
Joey Porter
Cody Brown
Will Davis
Stevie Baggs

ILB:
Much like our OLB'ers, the ILB'ers are old and brittle. If Hayes can stay healthy he is effective, but when his back acts up he is worthless, and liability. Paris Lenon is a wildcard, and even at his best, he is just a solid NFL player. I don't expect too much, if anything but the basics from Lenon. Because of the age, and health of our starters, I think Monty Beisel will be kept on the final 53. Beisel plays both ILB'er positions, and is a good special teams player. When I look at this situation as individual positions I don't like the depth at the position, but together it is starting to make sense. Does a tandem of Reggie Walker and Daryl Washington sound good or is it just me ? I think Walker and Washington looks a lot like Dansby and Hayes. Both have there own skills that make them fit the position they are at. Walker has shown to be a force against the run, and is a scrapper. Washington has all the measurables you want in a player to replace Karlos Dansby and what he brought to the team.

Depth Chart:
Gerald Hayes
Paris Lenon
Reggie Walker
Daryl Washington
Monte Beisel

CB:
Let's put it out there. I didn't like the McFadden trade one bit. He only had 1 year on his contract, and while letting him go next year sounded good, letting him go now sounds a little crazy. Not to mention our "veteran" is now Justin Miller who can't cover jack is leaving our young CB's without a mentor. Greg Toler has shown promise, and I root for the kid, but 16 games is a lot more than 2 games. The term "trail by fire" comes to mind. It will be a rough year for Toler, but if he stays tough mentally he could come out of the experience a NFL starter. DRC is going to have a huge year, IMO and will leave it at that. Justin Miller, is justa kick return guy, and I hope and pray not our NB. I expect Miller to be on the final roster, but more for special teams, and as a 5th CB. That leaves the NB position and 4th CB position open, for a WIDE open competition. Michael Adams is a front runner in this competition because he was with the team last year, Jorrick Calvin was drafted as has a great advantage as well. I have my money on AJ Jefferson either making the roster, and will definately be on the practice squad if not the final 53. Needless to say this is the no-name secondary, and it scares the heck out of me.

Depth Chart:
DRC
Greg Toler
Justin Miller
Competition {2 spots} : [T.McBride/M.Adams/R.Barksdale/M.Green/A.Jefferson/Jorrick Calvin]

S:
When you look at the corner back situation it really makes you understand why Matt Ware is important. I would rather see Matt Ware at the Nickel back position (or Adrian Wilson :devil:) than the corner backs shown above. Wilson is back, and I expect big things out of him this year. Kerry Rhodes has shown the ability to be a top NFL safety, but we will see if he regains his old form in the desert. Matt Ware will allow, Wilson to roam, while playing the 3rd safety position as we call it. As for Rashad Johnson, he has to have heard what has been said about him. I think if the wake up call was heard, we will see why the Cardinals were intially excited about drafting him last year. If Johnson finds his nitch, then we are looking at a very solid safety core, top to bottom.

Depth Chart:
Adrian Wilson
Kerry Rhodes
Matt Ware
Rashad Johnson

Total on Defense: (26)

ST:
Change is good, and so is Jay Feely. I am extremely happy to have Feely over Rackers. Feely played for a run first, low scoring, close scoring, good defense team. Each kick mattered, each point mattered, and the pressure was always on. Feely is what this team needs, IMO. Ben Graham is the best punter in the league, and it is not even close. It amazes me how well Graham has learned and now understands the game. His punts are very well positioned and puts the other team in very bad spots. Mike Leach....the less we talk and hear about him the better.

K: Jay Feely
P: Ben Graham
LS: Mike Leach

Total: 53

Practice Squad:
1. Alfonzo Smith/[Best ILB the Cardinals can find]
2. Best WR from competition above
3. 2nd Best WR from competition above
4. AJ Jefferson or (best CB from competition above)
5. Devin Tyler - Great project. Huge guy with good power, and long arms
6. Mark Washington - OLB project from last year. Stay the course, IMO
7. Dean Muhtadi - Powerful, powerful man. Takes Dykes place on the P.S.
8. [Best DB Cardinals can find]

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Good stuff Rugby...

Man, I don't know why, but I am so damn excited about Brandon Keith... After hearing the comments from Whiz and Calais Campbell, followed by the interview with Keith (about 2 weeks ago), I just can't stop thinking about how great it would be if he becomes the player it appears he can be! What a great story if it pans out!!!

number1.gif

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Very imformative and entertaining read. Not much (anything) to disagree with.

Last year there were more players from Offense then Deffense on the final 53. I forget the exact numbers but it was a bit lopsided. Patrick's 4 game suspension played into this and maybe Morey's ST's prowess but lack of impact at WR was a factor as well.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Rugby, I really enjoyed your take on the final 53. I'm GUESSING that Dominque Byrd will surprise and become the third TE. He is helped by having played with ML at USC.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Good stuff! I would mildy suspect that Lutui will hold on to the RG job, and that we will add a vet CB.

Last edited:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I am guessing you have O'Brien Schofield to the IR then? If the guy can play during the preseason it'll be real tough to keep him off the roster.

I also wonder if it could come down to 4th RB vs 2nd FB, if we have a FB capable of being a short yardage guy, decent pass catcher and who can contribute on ST he could beat out Wright/Smith.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I am guessing you have O'Brien Schofield to the IR then? If the guy can play during the preseason it'll be real tough to keep him off the roster.

Whiz has already said he's gonna start the season on the PUP list...

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Whiz has already said he's gonna start the season on the PUP list...

He only said he would start training camp on the PUP, don't think he ever said anything about him still being on the PUP list come game one. He may have said its a possibility but he never said any certainties for the PUP to start the season..

Last edited:

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I also wonder if it could come down to 4th RB vs 2nd FB, if we have a FB capable of being a short yardage guy, decent pass catcher and who can contribute on ST he could beat out Wright/Smith.

Minus the short yardage runner which I don't think the team is looking for with Hightower and Wells already on the roster you just described Wright himself.

Any rookie RB or 2nd FB is going to have one of the toughest up hill battles at camp to unseat Wright who is already an established good special teamer, good reciever, and a more then willing and decent in spot duty in the FB role, of which he played a lot to end last season when Krieder was out with his neck injury. Any bottom of the depth chart guy who has a trio of abilities to bring to the table is going to be hard to unseat, because the more you can do if you aren't the starter the more the coach covets you.

Speaking of Krieder it is speculated that he couldn't pass his physical of which I am told he did take and was seen at the facility the day before the OTA's a week ago, it may not have been a contract thing.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Minus the short yardage runner which I don't think the team is looking for with Hightower and Wells already on the roster you just described Wright himself.

Any rookie RB or 2nd FB is going to have one of the toughest up hill battles at camp to unseat Wright who is already an established good special teamer, good reciever, and a more then willing and decent in spot duty in the FB role, of which he played a lot to end last season when Krieder was out with his neck injury. Any bottom of the depth chart guy who has a trio of abilities to bring to the table is going to be hard to unseat, because the more you can do if you aren't the starter the more the coach covets you.

Speaking of Krieder it is speculated that he couldn't pass his physical of which I am told he did take and was seen at the facility the day before the OTA's a week ago, it may not have been a contract thing.

Besides we already have DD with experience as our short yardage FB.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Now have Ali for competition at fullback.

If Nehemiah Broughton was not injured he would be running away with this competition. I don't think there are too many teams that keep two fullbacks, and the Redskins have Mike Sellers whom I think is the best pure blocking FB in the league right now. Broughton was stuck behind Sellers as a Redskin, and I think Broughton will be a nice surprise for this team.

Ali would have to do some great things to make the coaches believe he is anymore than a body for camp with Broughton is injured.

artp

Registered
Reaction score
I agree.
But, are we counting no too many new players? Inexperienced players?
NT D Williams
Db S R johnson
OL B Keith
Cb G Toler
LB D Washington
These guys basically did nothing last year...or are rookies. At this point, we are just HOPING they can play

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
I im willing to be that AJ Jefferson will impress us and make the team easily

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I im willing to be that AJ Jefferson will impress us and make the team easily

I am just hoping he gets at minimum one of the 5-9 and 5-8 tall Oompa-Loompa's off of the team.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think that Jim Dray makes the team. If he doesn't, he'll almost certainly make the practice squad. This team cannot afford to be looking on the streets for a TE. Ben Patrick has not shown that he can be dependable.

Longcolts

Registered
Reaction score

I'd have sworn I saw on one of Urban's blogs that the reason they didn't bring Krieder back is because Whiz told him the team couldn't agree to terms with him. But maybe I misremember! :D

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
You'd have to be interpreting the Oracle to say who is right:

http://blog.azcardinals.com/2010/05/07/cardinals-sign-fb-ali/

Is the good ol' boy network running full speed in Arizona or can these guys actually play football?

Continuing to mine one-time Browns (it’s probably not a coincidence guys like Derek Anderson and Rex Hadnot are here with Director of Pro Personnel T.J. McCreight having come from Cleveland)

And of course we know that the Cards have signed just about every former Steeler available.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard