Portable DVD Players

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok you smart technology folk.

Can anyone tell me which ones are the good ones to buy and if anyone actually owns one???

I just thinking having one will be super handy when I'm at the airports traveling from school and home. I'm going in my "research" mode right now, trying to figure out which one I might like, and if it's worth it.

Any comments would be much appreciated. :)

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Laptop w/ DVD drive

Not only plays DVD's but a bunch of other stuff.

Not much more $$$.

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But I saw a few portable dvd players at Wal-Mart for around 200 bucks.

Laptops are like... 900+ right? If I had the extra money I'd get the laptop, but it just doesnt look like that's gonna happen :(

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by arthurracoon
Laptop w/ DVD drive

Not only plays DVD's but a bunch of other stuff.

Not much more $$$.

Are you kidding? You can get a portable DVD player for like $200-300...you'll be hard pressed to find a good laptop with a DVD player for under $900.

Mike

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chandler Mike
Are you kidding? You can get a portable DVD player for like $200-300...you'll be hard pressed to find a good laptop with a DVD player for under $900.

Mike

Really? Never mind then.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought the prices of laptops had fallen much more than that.

Maybe I'm out of the loop too, but I think at least $600 would be a reasonable price for a laptop.

Mike

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Wow. I am out of it. The cheapest I could find was
REFURB1: Presario 721CL Notebook
AMD® Duron™ 1.2GHz Processor, 256MB RAM, 30GB Hard Drive, 14.1-inch XGA TFT Display, 8X DVD Drive, Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
CompUSA Price: $738.51

Well. Time to study the electronic ads in the paper again. I haven't done that in a month or so.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. I am out of it. The cheapest I could find was
REFURB1: Presario 721CL Notebook
AMD® Duron™ 1.2GHz Processor, 256MB RAM, 30GB Hard Drive, 14.1-inch XGA TFT Display, 8X DVD Drive, Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
CompUSA Price: $738.51

Well. Time to study the electronic ads in the paper again. I haven't done that in a month or so.

And a 1.2GHz is like bottom of the line now...the hard drive aint bad, but the memory could be better too.

Mike

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Trust me, you don't want to go cheap on a laptop. When the processor runs on battery alone, it loses processing power. The new P4 mobile chips have solved a lot of those problems.

If you just want to watch movies, get the portable dvd player

If you do want to get a laptop, the Toshiba Protege 7010 ct can be bought off of Ebay for $200.00 It was one of my first laptops (I still have it), it comes with a dvd docking station. It is a Pentium II, but it is a rock solid laptop...atleast mine is. Just make sure you get a warranty on the battery, I am on like my third one.

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ryanwb
If you do want to get a laptop, the Toshiba Protege 7010 ct can be bought off of Ebay for $200.00 It was one of my first laptops (I still have it), it comes with a dvd docking station. It is a Pentium II, but it is a rock solid laptop...atleast mine is. Just make sure you get a warranty on the battery, I am on like my third one.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to look into that. Right now I'm just in the thinking stages. I'll probably just wait until Christmas and hope my parents get me a protable dvd player :)

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by thirty two
Thanks for the info. I'll have to look into that. Right now I'm just in the thinking stages. I'll probably just wait until Christmas and hope my parents get me a protable dvd player :)

You have six months to whine about it, and my parents would buy me anything as long as I shut up. "Mom, I can't watch DVD's while I'm in class, buy me a portable DVD player." "Mom, all the popular kids have one." "MOM, you can make it my birthday AND Christmas present"

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ryanwb
You have six months to whine about it, and my parents would buy me anything as long as I shut up. "Mom, I can't watch DVD's while I'm in class, buy me a portable DVD player." "Mom, all the popular kids have one." "MOM, you can make it my birthday AND Christmas present"

LOL!

My birthday is January 12, so that Christmas/Birthday option is definitely do-able! :thumbup:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought the Initial portable DVD player from Wal-mart!

I have had it foe seven months and it has been on 4 trips and been used quite extensively! I love It!

Have had no problems! So if I were you I would jump on that!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard